Do you like close-quarters hunting?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Redarrow

Do you like close-quarters hunting?

Postby Redarrow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 am

Am I the only person who prefers bow and rifle hunting in tight spots? 

As I survey most of my fellow Wisconsin hunters, their top priority for stand location is often a room with a view...  They want to be able to see at least 100 yards in all directions, even when bow hunting. 

By comparison, my favorite stand is 15 feet up in a poplar tree facing a dense tag alder marsh in a thickly wooded funnel between ag fields and the marsh.  I have limited shooting lanes, but lots of opportunity, and no shots at all beyond 25 yards.

I've had great luck getting in "tight".  Even at 52, I still prefer small platform treestands and close quarters ambushes.  I feel more connected and tuned-in with my surroundings than in a cushy giant box perched in the open.  It forces me to stay on-guard, and I always feel like my luck could change at any moment.  As a bonus, I think most deer near me are conditioned to look for hunters in the same old convenient spots, and they rarely consider that a crazy man would setup where I do.
[align=left] [/align]
Central Wisconsin Hunter

scottflesher

RE: Do you like close-quarters hunting?

Postby scottflesher » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:35 am

I prefer privacy when I'm hunting regardless of what weapon I'm using. So close quarters as far as other hunters being close to you, no.
However most of my bow stands are in heavy brush where 20-25 yards is the longest shot (and about average) that I have. I feel very confident out to about 40 yards with my bow, but many of my stands do not offer shots at these distances. So close quarter hunting as in being in brush and not hunting the edges of fields, yes.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Tight is better. [;)]

Redarrow

Postby Redarrow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:24 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

close quarters as far as other hunters being close to you, no.

close quarter hunting as in being in brush and not hunting the edges of fields, yes.
I'll take your second answer.... I was referring to "close" as in close to natural cover. I'd never choose to hunt with other hunters breathing down my neck.
Central Wisconsin Hunter

texsalerno

Postby texsalerno » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Hunt with longbow. Practice at 35-40. Like my shots 8-20 yards.

I like to camo up and hunt them on the ground, in the thick stuff.

Answer is a big yes !!!

[:)]

Tex Salerno
www.stickbow.com
[align=left] [/align]

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 pm

WHEN IT COMES TO BOWHUNTING I LOVE THE CLOSE QUARTERS HUNTING. MY FAVORITE STAND THIS YEAR IS IN A LINEFENCE BETWEEN A MARSH WITH A CREEK IN IT AND A MARSH WITH CORN GROWING IN IT. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ONE MARSH IS A PICKED BEAN FIELD (WHICH IS WHERE IVE BEEN SEEING THE DEER LATELY) I CAN SEE ABOUT 250 YARDS OUT INTO THE FIELD. BUT FOR THE MOST PART EVERYTHING IS REALLY CLOSE AND MY LONGEST SHOT IS 40 YARDS OUT INTO THE MARSH BUT ALL OF THE DEER I HAVE PASSED ON SO FAR HAVE BEEN WITHIN 25.

NOW WHEN IT COMES TO MY GUN HUNTING I LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SEE ALOT OF AREA NOT TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT BUT TO WATCH THE DEER MOVE. MY GUN "STAND" IS A GROUND SETUP WHERE I SIT ON A HILLSIDE OF TALL GRASS. I CAN COVER A HUGE MARSH AND PART OF THE MARSH WITH THE CORN IN IT. IM VERY COMFORTABLE OUT TO 250 YARDS WITH MY RIFLE BUT PREFER TO KEEP IT WITHIN 100. LAST YEAR WHILE SITTING IN THIS SPOT A SMALL BUCK WALKED WITHIN 20 YARDS OF ME AND NEVER KNEW I WAS THERE.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Yes and no. If I could pick my absolute perfect hunting area, it would have alternating cover. In other words it would go from dense tanglefoot to moderately open areas. And I'm not talking about one transition but many thought the property. If I have the option, I prefer to hunt the transition areas so I am very close to dense cover, but not quite in it.  

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:51 am

That's the only way I see deer anymore.  It seems like all of the wide open hardwood flats that you should see deer in get baited so much that you never see a deer there during hunting hours.  We hunt the middle of cedar swamps and are usually shooting at self-defense distances.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:13 am

I notice that several of you are from WI, where hunting pressure (on average) is higher than in IA. I have noticed that the lower the hunting pressure in an area, the more likely I am to see deer in the open during daylight.

I hunt one place in IA with an outstanding herd and very little pressure. I can sit and watch field edges and see a constant stream of deer. The place I hunt in MO has a more moderate herd and gets heavy pressure during rifle season. Hunting the fields there is all but a waste of time.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:58 am

Don't be giving away our secrets JPH!!!

Realistically, you are probably right.  It comes down to pressure and I think a lot of it has to do with all the baiting that goes on.  Deer don't need to get up during the day, they can wait until dark and go set at the buffet without having to look for natural food until after the hunting seasons.

Return to Best Practices