Where are all the hunters?

heightman

Where are all the hunters?

Postby heightman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 am

I have been out every morning since Monday and as of yet I have not seen any other hunters. In years past I have seen others every day. I hunt in a state forest that has a sizeable deer herd. Just wondering why the lack of hunters this year. Maybe they are holding off till the rut begins? As of today I have yet to see anything. It sure would be nice to have a few hunters in the woods to get them moving. Seems to be a large crop of acorns again this year so no need for the deer to search to much for food.

thule

RE: Where are all the hunters?

Postby thule » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:35 am

I've been out 2 days this weekend and nothing is moving. On my way in @ 6:30am and no other hunters in site. I too hunt state land. Acorns are abundant in my area as well. The fustrating part is no deer movement after a 12 hour hunt even thou the area shows signs of deer. Any idea when the rut begins? Some say around turkey day..

heightman

Postby heightman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:21 am

Seems like we are in the same boat. As far as the rut most things you read and hear claim the rut gets going 10 days after the harvest moon which happens to be tommorrow night. So if that is true things should get going around the 1st. But I have found that it is more likely not to get going good until about a week or so before turkey day. Shit just saw the time gtg will write more about the subject later on this afternoon or tonight. If the rain holds off just may get back out in a bit. Good Luck and shoot straight.

thule

Postby thule » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks for the heads up on the rut. Can't wait to head out this afternoon and all day tomorrow. I'll report back on Monday.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:28 am

I have photos of two bucks, a forkhorn and a small 6 pointer, sparring. I didn't realize it right away, but after I looked at the photos again in rapid succession I could see them going back and forth.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Return to Massachusetts