In-season diet?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

In-season diet?

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:58 am

Earlier we discussed how we might maintain some level of fitness during the height of a busy hunting season: http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=83992 Another question is, how do we maintain a good diet?

I've always had a lousy diet but as I age I see the value in a pure way of eating that avoids garbage. Junk food seems to rob me of energy and makes me feel sick. I've really begun to cut out the fast food and other crap that I ate in my youth. One of the ways I have learned to combat junk food has been to eat more frequently and to eat on time. Junk food is a crime of opportunity. When I am starving and running late, I am likely to fall into bad eating habits.

The problem is, during the rut I find myself running around almost as much as the bucks I am chasing. Many times I am in the stand during normal meal times. As I drive home my stomach is growling and those fast food joints along the highway are awfully tempting. I need to keep them from winning this year!

My first effort has been to put a box of protein bars in the back seat of my truck. They are filling and much more nutritious than a Hardee's cheeseburger. What I am looking for is some ideas of easy and portable meal replacements that I can use as things get crazy.

Ideas? 

Jslotter

RE: In-season diet?

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 am

I don't think you can go wrong with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Or, pack away a salad in a tupperware container. I try to stay away from soda pop on days I hunt, I like to stay hydrated with water or even a gatorade to boost my electrolytes. Even chicken noodle soup is good source of electrolytes and is easy to take out to the field with the proper container... And you won't have to worry about being hungry or ruining your diet plan with fast food on the way home.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, with some chips, is a great idea.  It's not 'super nutritious' but better than a Hardees cheeseburger!

One thing I've taken along with me that has kept me feeling good with energy plus it doesn't leave me feeling super hungry, is trail mix.  I put everything in there...mixed nuts, raisins, and some M & M's mainly.  Try it!
QDM!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:55 pm

I always try to take snacks with me especially if i'm in for a long sit in my stand. Normally, I'm in my tree well before first light and won't get out for lunch until after 11am. While it's high in calories and fat (unsaturated fat which is actually somewhat good for you) I've found that nuts are good for craving your hunger. They're high in protein and fairly simple to carry around with you. Another item that i've learned to enjoy in the woods is cut up celery sticks (2-3 inches) with some peanut butter for dipping. You can put them in a ziplock bag similar to sandwiches.

This is slightly off topic, but about 2 weeks before season, I try to cut out coffee and anything with onions to reduce the amount of body odor I let off. Nothing spicy like chili or pepperioni, etc. I also take the chlorophyll tablets. While this isn't related to a healthy diet, it's still somewhat of my "in-season" diet. Every little bit helps right????? [:)]

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:46 am

Anything high fiber I would not recommend because it will stir the bowel movement a little too early. Anything spicy or with garlic and onions are a bad idea. They cause gas and they create an ungodly odor that lingers. The other guys are right, snacking on trail mix thru out the day is a great idea. And hydrate with water. You mentioned protein bars, which are also a good idea. Apples are good too. I dehydrate my own apples and take them out with me. You can also buy them at the store dehydrated now.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

jbekes

Postby jbekes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:26 pm

I like to keep a couple cans of soup in my truck. I like the hearty cambel's soup they fill you up and are a healthy substitute for fast food, all you need is a can opener and a spoon, they are good straight out of the can. I eat a can or two before I get dressed then head into the woods.

And there are lots of differant kinds so you can change it up.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

I pack a good lunch that stays in the vehicle for the ride home or if I need a mid-day break. I like to take apples and cut them in 8ths, cut out the seed section, and put them in a plastic bag in my pack to munch on without making too much noise or mess on stand. I love citrus fruit, but it is usually strong smelling if you have to peel it. A small bottle of juice works well as a replacement. Sawdust bars, dry-roasted peanuts, and dried fruit are staples of my hunting diet in the field. I cut back on seafood, red meat, and smelly foods (curry, onion, garlic, broccoli, asparagus, etc.). I take chlorophyll with each meal. I do not to eat in the morning when I am going hunting because I don't want nature's call to interrupt when I'm on stand. Plus, I'm meaner and tend to make my shot count more if I'm hungry.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

lolo12

Postby lolo12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 am

I do agree with you that fast foods have their own cons. It takes a heavy toll on our health and makes us addicted towards it. I was also a die hard fan of fast foods until I came to suffer from some health issues. According to me protein bars are the best option.  

highridgehunter

Re: In-season diet?

Postby highridgehunter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Protein bars are great. The ones with peanut butter are not a odor deterent in the stand either. I start every day with vitamins (Multi,D and Fish Oil). I work out about 4-5 days a week but always take a protein shake every day. On my hunting days I start with a high protein shake which keeps my energy up along with whole foods for breakfast. I take trail mix and myoplex protein bars in with me- GNC also has a Hyperbolic Mass Gainer bar that is high in protein that I take with me that is a good meal replacement. Water or Gatorade is a good choice but hot tea on cold days is a good choice also. Sorry but after a long day in the stand I like to have a beer or 2 back at camp.

Sheridan5

Re: In-season diet?

Postby Sheridan5 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:20 am

Do not take a dieting program, where you are informed what to eat. Eat a simple but proper diet program, so you can fulfill the needs of your body and also you can reduce your extra weight.Eating healthy is about avoid the healthier meals as much as possible. Once you stay away from ready made meals then its better for your body!! Thanks!

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness