working brush piles

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
msbadger

working brush piles

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 am

Our land is 1900ft up and in the middle of a hill facing west....we get heavy west and north west winds....there are 2 large lakes north /north west of us.....when working the mixed hard woods for future timber production I generate alot of brush. I'm not one to waste any thing and we don't own a chipper so I utilize the brush for brush piles. these I add to yearly and have formed great walls of nearly solid brush usually in an L or U shape  to block that west..north west wind....or to help move deer in to shooting lanes....when hunting from the ground I'll some times set up against these wood piles and the bigger ones are very efficient in blocking the wind not moving my sent around.....deer..bed near them in the winter rabbits ...skunk...and other rodents use them and the fox and yotes hunt them as well as owls and hawks....it actually helps  when deep snows hit because rodents that girdle young trees will chew up the bark in the wood piles ...doing less damage to the live trees.....Do you use brush piles in your land management?

JPH

RE: working brush piles

Postby JPH » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:16 am

I am a big fan of ganarly brush piles for wildlife habitat. While my property is very small, it is thick and choked with ground cover. The brush piles really help. 

I cannot say that I have taken it to the science that you have. I pretty much pile them to one side or another of trails, wear I happen to be working. I suppose if I had a little tractor, I could get creative with them.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 am

I use brush piles to wind row around my plots for extra cover in open areas. With the high population of coyotes, the rabbits and over small game really hone in on the brush piles for shelter. I also add browse near the piles by hinge cutting trees onto the sides of the piles. I am careful not to cut all the way through the tree, so it will sucker sprouts up off the main branches. The brush piles really thicken up the woods in the winter,and helps the deer feel more comfortable,and relaxed. The brush really helps to funnel deer pass your stand sites.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:43 am

here in tn we also use brush piles for our quail population & yes we also use them to control deer movement
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Grouse would probably benefit as well.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:27 am

Brush piles are so awesome-they kind of mimic the heavy, thick growth that takes place after logging or a controlled burn.

It`s likewise accurate, that brush may be used to help move deer into desired shooting lanes.

All-in-all, it`s a win-win propasition. Wildlife benefits from them, as well as the hunting being able to use them to his/her advantage too.

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements