6 Elk Hunting Secrets

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
huntersjournal

6 Elk Hunting Secrets

Postby huntersjournal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Use the Right Equipment

When it comes to big game, we want to cause as little suffering as possible. For this purpose, we must use the appropriate caliber for these big deer. Which size should we use then?

The ideal bullet size causes substantial hydrostatic shock inside the organs and tissues that is similar to the waves produced when you throw a stone into a pond.

Popular calibers for Elk hunting

7mm mag
.30-06
.300 mag
.338 mag

Practice 300-yard shots in the field

Most beginners, who usually practice in the city, place their targets at very short distances (within 100 yards, an unrealistic and unsuitable distance for real life hunting). At three times that distance, the force of gravity becomes an important factor to consider.

Ask a farmer for permission to practice in his land to test how your rifle behaves in the long distance with static targets.
Then, go a step further and start shooting varmints and moving targets.

For a Perfect Shot, Learn Anatomy

Perfect shots can only be possible if we know the anatomy of the animal. At the very least, we must visualize the location of the heart.

Broadside elks offer the ideal angle. Conversely, a rear-end shot should be avoided, because the heart is hidden behind the rear legs. Muscle tissue and bones in the hindquarters and hips protect almost all the vital areas.

Aim at the Lungs

The heart lies between the lungs. Since lungs are bigger than the heart, they offer an easier target. If you hit both lungs, the bullet will enter the heart as well. The red spot in the image indicates the location of the heart. Wait until the animal moves forward the front leg on your side and aim behind the shoulder to avoid the shoulder bone.

Of course, to aim at such a tiny target hundreds of yards away, you will have to…

… Use a Scope

Good scopes are waterproof (trust us, you do not want to aim at the heart of a male elk through a foggy lens). Four of five powers are OK.

Don't Shoot!

… unless you have good shot. Complying with tip #3, never shoot rear-end shots.

Well, those are today's little hunting secrets.
Please check out my facebook page and fan page. We are a local magazine aiming to preserve traditional hunting and the values it has wrought in America.

mightyfofaad

RE: 6 Elk Hunting Secrets

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Nice post ... but I have a few questions.
Use the Right Equipment

When it comes to big game, we want to cause as little suffering as possible

Does that mean I should bring along a bar-b-que, beer cooler & portable TV?
Practice 300-yard shots in the field

Ask a farmer for permission to practice in his land to test how your rifle behaves in the long distance with static targets.
Then, go a step further and start shooting varmints and moving targets

How many farmers do you think I will have to ask before I find one that will let a complete stranger use his property for a shooting gallery?
Aim at the Lungs

The heart lies between the lungs. The red spot in the image indicates the location of the heart.

Do all Elk have a red spot to show you where the heart is?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Is this the Elk and Elk Hunting forum? COOL! Tune in tomorrow for the moose and squirrel....OOPS! I mean moose and caribou segements!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:14 pm

And just what have you got against tree rats that you think they don't deserve a hunting primer as well?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:27 pm

mff.......visualize, "Rocky and Bullwinkle"....
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

mff.......visualize, "Rocky and Bullwinkle"....

Hmmm ... squirrel & moose stew ... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. BTW: Don't tell my wife, but I used to have a thing for that Natasha. I don't know what she ever saw in that Boris character. [:D]

Return to Best Practices