CVA Wolf Accuracy

Team_Redneck

RE: CVA Wolf Accuracy

Postby Team_Redneck » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:14 pm

I bought a CVA Wolf last year, I borrowed a friends knight to hunt with the past 2-3 years.

I started shootin' Powerbelt's, The green one's, Maybe 240 grain bullet's? With 2 50gr pellets. Had pretty tight group's.

Took a fat doe with it last muzzleloader season at 70 yard's.

This year I bought a pack of Thompson Center shockwave's, 200gr bullet's. Though they are harder to load than the powerbelt's, they give me a tighter group and fly straighter.

krawiech

RE: CVA Wolf Accuracy

Postby krawiech » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:04 pm

ive been shooting my cva wolf for about 5 years now 90 grains app powder 295 grain powerbelt bullet winchester 209 shotgun primer from a caldwell solo lead sled im getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards hank k

CharlieTN

Re: CVA Wolf Accuracy

Postby CharlieTN » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Glad to hear you found a load that works. The general consensus I'm hearing is that a loose powder charge in the 89-90 grain range with the lighter bullets works best from this little short gun. One problem is that if you have much more powder than that you are burning a lot of powder outside of the muzzle just making a lot of smoke and fire that you don't need to.

Charlie

Muzzle-Loaders

Postby Muzzle-Loaders » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Great load data! Usually with the Wolf, you don't want to push the loads, so 100 or under is a good charge. The SST's and the PowerBelt AreoLites are probably the best two performing bullets overall this year, but another one that I would rank extremely well is the Barnes T-EZ's.
Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm

Hey Muzzleloader....glad to see you spending some time here. In the few years I've been hanging around I don't recall anyone who seemed to be an expert on blackpowder.

I have a CVA Buckhorn that I picked up for really cheap. Right now I'm shooting 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and I think a 240 gr bullet I bought off the shelf at the local Big R.... Any knowledge of this rifle/suggestions for load?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Muzzle-Loaders

Postby Muzzle-Loaders » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Deebz wrote:Hey Muzzleloader....glad to see you spending some time here. In the few years I've been hanging around I don't recall anyone who seemed to be an expert on blackpowder.

I have a CVA Buckhorn that I picked up for really cheap. Right now I'm shooting 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and I think a 240 gr bullet I bought off the shelf at the local Big R.... Any knowledge of this rifle/suggestions for load?

Hey Deebz,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm newer to the forum, but noticed that there is a good amount of people using black powder on here. For the Buckhorn, you're pretty much spot on as far as loads go for that rifle. The PowerBelts shoot really well out of the buckhorn, and I would probably stick with the 250 grain bullets if you're hunting mostly deer. If you aren't happy with the accuracy, I would recommend changing to Blackhorn 209, and you have a lot more flexibility with your loads.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll be happy to help out!
Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks for the advice! I think I might use my ML when I'm sitting in my treestand this gun season. I really need to shoot it a lot more to gain confidence at the longer ranges I know it's capable of compared to my 12 gauge. I'll probably stick to the shotty when I'm on the ground or pushing, just for the 2 follow up shots, but I'm liking the way my ML shoots.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:59 am

I just picked up my first ML. a steghorn, not a wolf. I hope to try it in the field soon, and hopefully for ML deer this year.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

treyarrowsmith

Postby treyarrowsmith » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:44 pm

I started seriously hunting about 7 years ago (I'm40). Borrowed my buddy's gun first couple years. Approx 5 years ago I went into the local sporting goods store looking for a muzzleloader. They steered me to a Thompson. Great gun. I did not have the money. I asked about the CVA Wolf. They told me it was not very good. Another customer in the store overheard the conversation and told me there was nothing wrong with the CVA Wolf. He recommended it. I shot it one time the day before muzzleloader season in KY to make sure it worked and shot straight. I downed one the next morning. That gun works and shoots straight! I have harvested several deer with it. My 16 year old son just got his first one this weekend with that same rifle. Good gun.

Previous

Return to Muzzleloaders