hornady ammo in 270 Win 130 gr SST® Superformance

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mnslayer

hornady ammo in 270 Win 130 gr SST® Superformance

Postby mnslayer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 am

has anyone used the new hornady 270 Win 130 gr SST® Superformance ammo, deer hunting yet and what were your results. the ballistic data looks impressive to say the least. now i need the real world results if you have used it let me know your results and thoughts.

http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-13 ... rformance/

USN_Sam1385

RE: hornady ammo in 270 Win 130 gr SST® Superformance

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 am

I took a doe with .308 win 150 gr. SST Super performance about 3 weeks ago. She died in her shadow. Last year I shot a doe and a 10 pointer each with my .270, with the 130 gr. ammunition you speak of above. Both died WHERE THEY STOOD. If you see some of my other posts, I endorse this ammunition heavily.

You will pay a pretty price for the ammunition, over $30 a box, but it kills deer where they stand. Best I have ever used. PERIOD

http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-130-gr-SST-Superformance/
[/quote]

berudd

Postby berudd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:26 pm

I have a 270 as well so I have also looked at this stuff with interest. But I asked myself if I needed the extra performance it provides and the honest answer is no. The 130 gr CoreLokts are doing just fine on deer for me. I don't shoot long ranges and I don't take iffy shots. So, for deer I have not need for these. Now, if I was going was going after Elk or Moose I would probably consider the 140 gr Superperformance round. I've also considered getting a 243 for my son and in that case I might just go for the Superperformance offering in that caliber.

So, I did not answer your question I just wanted to offer a different perspective on the matter.

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:34 am

Thank you for your responses guys.
I have also questioned the need of more. I have been shooting winchester 130grain power points with good results, the only reason I am looking is last season I shot a buck at 175 yrds facing me at an angle. he took off leaping 15 foot bounds at a time. then at 100 yrds I followed up with a second round. at this point he slammed into the ground and bounced back up and continued for another 125 yrds before expiring. Upon closer examination both bullets enter just behind the front shoulder with in 1/2 inch of each other taking out both lungs and and the liver. Was this just a fluke that he kept going or do I need more bullet. I strive for clean kills and I was disturbed that this deer went so far after shooting it. No other deer i have shot has ever moved more then 30 yrds tops, most dropping in their tracks.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 am

I agree with berudd.  I'm in a ranting sort of mood today, so pardon while I get cranked up.  It's the coffee, not you.

The biggest thing you have to worry about with this or any other deer rifle is accuracy.  Bullet performance?  Any  270 WIN bullet that the manufacturer recommends for deer-size game is going to work.  Deer are surprisingly easy to kill-- no matter what the ads say.

Accuracy?  Every rifle has its preferred ammo.  Buying ammo instead of reloading limits your choices.  However, somewhere in the current offerings, you will find something that works.  Just like I was saying in  the deer slug thread: start cheap and work up.  When you find a load that works, buy a bunch of it so you don't have to repeat the process every year. 

What does Premium Ammo buy you?  Insurance?  Peace of Mind?  Performance?    Let's say you shoot a deer in the ribs and the bullet goes through, takes out some lung and little heart and then it exits into the ground and the deer dies. What more do you need?    In a 270 WIN, there is no whitetail deer on the planet that will stop a Walmart sale-priced Remmie Corelokt from its appointed rounds.  If they're out of Remmies, start with the Winnie PowerPoints.

Back to accuracy. Is cheap ammo as accurate as the premium stuff?  It may be and possibly more accurate.  The reason?  If it's cheap, you'll use it more.  Familiarity with the rifle and how it shoots under field conditions is the largest determinant to accuracy.  Shooting from the bench is just a starting place.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:31 am

We were working on our posts at the same time.

Good question:  do you need more bullet?  I'd say no.  Here's my reasoning.

1)  You ended up with a dead deer.  No bullet failure there.
2)  Yes, he ran, but you also took a less-than-optimal shot.
3)  Stuff happens.  Stuff happens inside deer that nobody can really explain. 

The good news is that you got the deer.  Your story points up the point I try to stress every year:  be ready for a follow-up shot.  You were. It might have been unnecessary, but it might have also saved you from losing the deer. 

I have had a very few deer run in my career, but those that have usually have one thing in common: the shots were at a less-than-optimal angle.  The shots were fatal, but there was not enough damage to cause immediate death. 

I had one experience in 2005: shot a buck with my new 35 Whelen and the buck just stood there and looked at me.  I shot him again.  I shot him again.  When it was all over  I'd put 3 into his boiler room and left him standing. He finally fell over.  I put my rifle on the rope in  preparation to climb down from the stand when the buck woke up and started to get back on his feet.  I had to pull the rifle back up quickly and reloaded.  He expired while I was reloading. 

Here's the rest of the story:
 Hubert D. Buck Meets Mister Whelen

I did just like you're doing: I blamed the bullet.  In fact, I switched from the Remington  PSPCL (spire point) 200 grain to the SPCL(roundnose).  I can't tell you if there was any difference in deer killing ability.  Probably Hubert was just a fluke.  I felt like I had to do something.  In retrospect, what I should have done is wait to see if this happened on other deer before making the change.  However, the new roundnose bullets worked just fine and I haven't changed since.

At the time, I theorized that the spire-pointed bullets were too tough and not expanding properly.  This was actually in complete disregard to the reality of the situation; there was a good sized hole on the backside of the deer and plenty of damage to the internal organs. However, something had to be blamed, and the bullet seemed like the best target.

Once in a while you'll find this happening.  Do not despair.  It is probably not the bullet and probably not anything more than a cranked up buck who had a little extra vim left in him.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:02 am

thanks shaman
for now I will stay with the winchester powerpoints , have always worked before. just trying to have back up plan just in case.

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 am

I watched an interesting presentation on the mn dnr site about lead fragmentation.  This is my first season switch from my 12 gauge using federal trubal slugs to a .270.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildl ... /index.htm

I have chosen to use the blue box federal in 130 grains.  I have a lot of range time and comfortable with shooting it.  Have any of you choose different factory ammo that fragments less?  Their study showed that bonded core, enclosed core and copper bullets fragmented less.

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Yeah, the problem is we can never predict exactly what will happen we we shoot a deer becuse every deer is an individual and every situation is unique. Maybe under different conditions the same deer would have dropped in his tracks. Maybe under the same conditions a different deer would have dropped in his tracks. I think you probably have to use a round that literally blows a deer in two before you can say beyond all certainty that every hit would be an immediate kill. We have to resist drawing conclusions based on a series of one. The problem I think most of us have is that we have few opportunities to hunt and fewer opportunities to make a kill we stress to much over perfection of our equipment. A single instance that does not result in a bang/flop has us questioning things and equipment that is in reality completely adequate for the task.

Return to Guns and Ammo