30 Subspecies of Whitetail???

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
spneese

30 Subspecies of Whitetail???

Postby spneese » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:08 pm

Hello,

I have read that there are 30 subspecies of Whitetail.  Does anyone know what they are?  Where can I find descriptions/pictures of the various subspecies?

Thanks!

Sherrill Philip Neese

JPH

RE: 30 Subspecies of Whitetail???

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:14 pm

I read and wondered the same thing.

Looking forward to an informed answer. 

rayf

Postby rayf » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:32 pm

30 subspecies of Whitetail
here's some info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_deer

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:34 pm

pretty much says there are only 3 sub species according to genetic studies.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

spneese

Postby spneese » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:17 pm

I went to the Wikipedia site.  It listed the subspecies below.  I've read in multiple deer hunting magazines (I believe one was DDH) about there being 30 subspecies.  It would be GREAT if there was some place that could give us the entire list and also pictures.  When you think that in Key West the deer (odocoileus virginianus clavium) are tiny little things (55-75 pounds) and then deer in Canada weigh over 200 pounds, there has got to be more going on then what the average guy knows.  I could have a subspecies in my back yard and not even know it.
[ul][*]Species O. virginianus (some nearctic and neotropic subspecies) [ul][*]Odocoileus virginianus borealis (Northern white-tailed deer, the largest and darkest white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus dacotensis (Dakota/Northern Plains white-tailed deer with the most northerly distribution, and rivals the Northern white-tailed deer in size)[*]Odocoileus virginianus virginianus (Virginia/Southern white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus macrourus (Kansas white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus mcilhennyi (Avery Island white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus osceola (Florida Coastal white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus seminolus (Florida white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus clavium (Key deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus ochrourus (Northwest/Northern Rocky Mountains white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus leucurus (Columbian white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus couesi (Coues deer/Arizona white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus carminis (Carmen Mountains white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus texanus (Texas white-tailed deer)[*]Odocoileus virginianus truei (Central American white-tailed deer found in Costa Rica's Guanacaste Province)[*]Odocoileus virginianus gymnotis (South American lowland white-tailed deer found in northern half of Venezuela, including Venezuela's Llanos Region)[*]Odocoileus virginianus apurensis (South American lowland white-tailed deer found in southern Venezuela's Llanos Region in Columbia and Venezuela)[*]Odocoileus virginianus peruvianus (South American Andean white-tailed deer with the most southerly distribution found in Peru and possibly Bolivia)[/ul] [/ul]

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:22 am

Odocoileus virginianus clavium (Key deer)

You just have to see these up close.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:52 am

I've seen the Key Deer-- they're like poodles!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:25 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

I've seen the Key Deer-- they're like poodles!
                 I think a couple of em migrated up here to Michigan!  No kiddin, during the firearm season, I had two buck fawns hanging around that couldnt have been more than forty pounds each(if that)! These were the smallest deer I've ever seen without spots, it would have taken both of them just to make a pot of stew! I'm guessin they were orphans (never saw momma), I seen them every day for the first week of the season.

moonlightdelight

Postby moonlightdelight » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie

I think a couple of em migrated up here to Michigan!  No kiddin, during the firearm season, I had two buck fawns hanging around that couldnt have been more than forty pounds each(if that)! These were the smallest deer I've ever seen without spots, it would have taken both of them just to make a pot of stew! I'm guessin they were orphans (never saw momma), I seen them every day for the first week of the season.
[/quote]

paulie they are just young there are mature does that only hit 100lbs they prolly were orphans momma prolly got hit by a car or shot while they should of still been on the tit.

Return to All About Deer Sign