biggest buck

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gard73

RE: biggest buck

Postby gard73 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:31 pm

My biggest buck came Nov. 16 2007. It was almost like the hunts you see on tv minus a few inches of antler. Got out to the stand late like normal. got settled in about 7am. hit the grunt tube and tickled the antlers together to cover up the noise of me coming in. Saw a little 1 1/2 year old about 50 yards away. He turned and went be hind some downed tree tops. I waited about five minutes and grab the antlers and let them have it good. I was in mid rattle when I looked over to see a nice buck coming in. I put the antlers down grabbed my bow off the hanger by the he was about 20 yards and still coming. At 10 yards he stopped broadside to figure out what the commotion was I let the arrow go he took a couple step looked around. Thought I missed but I could see the arrow sticking out a couple inches. He probably milled around for a minutes at least within 30 yards then his back legs got a little wobbly. He went another 15 yards and died. He has two brow tines on one side I call him an 11 point. his G-4 on  one side is only about 1/2 an inch but it counts in my book. I gross scored him at 125 with a 16 inch spread. I was in the stand about 15 minutes before I took the shoot. Shouldn't all hunts be that easy? No. Our wives would be happier though.

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:40 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

That's a nice buck EOA, is that a rage exspandable wound I see?

Why yes it is! :) Last year was my first time trying them, and I wasn't disappointed. I killed 4 deer...watched three of them go down within sight, and the fourth (the buckin the pic) only went 80 yds.
-Eric

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:02 am

I tried posting my pic, and it says that the file is too big.....

How do I "shrink" it???

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 am

The biggest buck bodywise I have shot was a 200 pound deer field dressed, the second morning of gun season in 2002 at about 80 yards using a 300WSM.  This was my first year of deer hunting.  It was also before antler restrictions were in place, it had five antler points 3x2.  Talk about ground shrinkage, when I first saw it come out of the woods I would have sworn the rack was huge.  But then I was new to deer hunting.

From an antler perspective the largest deer I shot had 13 scorable points, green scored 143.  It field dressed at 180 pounds.  He was shot opening morning of gun season 2007.  I hunt with my brother and his son on our property in NW Missouri. 

Since I had already taken a buck and a doe during archery season I opted to trek back into our woods and basically get out of their way so they could have the prime stands.  I was sitting on the ground behind a tree in an area we never hunt, just watching the woods.  I wasn't expecting to get much if any action as corn was still standing on our north border and we have several food plots in other areas of our property.  About an hour after shooting light I thought I saw some movement off on the other side of a drainage, so I decided to do some grunting.  I was grunting away like a mad man, not really caring all that much about technique or anything else.  I was just having fun, I had already taken a couple of nice deer with my bow, so anything else would be a bonus and if I got skunked that would be fine too.  After about five minutes of this loud grunting on and off, I realized I hadn't seen anything off in the woods.  But I continued to grunt some more anyway.  Occassionally using the can call I have to throw in some doe bleats with the grunting.  Anyway, after another few minutes I turned to look around the tree I was behind and there was Mr. 13 pointer looking in my direction about 40 yards behind me.  I dropped to a knee, braced my gun against the side of the tree for some support and shot him.

This was a deer we had on trail cameras all summer long and had hoped one of us would get. 

This is my favorite photo of him taken in August 2007. I hope it shows up.  Bodywise, he is the smallest of the four bucks I have shot.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:04 pm

That is a brute for a deer right there! I bet he will be a monster this year! Was that cam pic from '08, or '07?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:24 am

Cam pic was from August 2007.  He won't be getting any bigger, he's hanging on my wall now.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:29 am

I was a little confused. I'd like to see a picture of him ranwin, could you post one?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 am

biggest was an 8 pt with an 18in spread and 9in. G-2's....second was a 7pt with 19 in. spread ..short tined......bow ...last years 8 pt....not huge rack but big body...field dressed 150....then 150# doe some years ago....few 7's ...6's and 5's over the years

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:31 am

Sorry for the confusion.  Here he is on the ground with me, my nephew, and my brother. 

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:43 am

My biggest gross scores 169 and some change he's a 13 pointer, that I watched for two years, I would have shot him the first year but never saw him during season, I have several videos of him in velvet, to make a long story short I hunted hard, logged more hours in a treestand than ever before and it finally came together on Nov.18 2000, when a doe led him straight to my stand giving me a 15 yd broadside shot with my bow.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions