Big Creek State Park

Woods Walker

Big Creek State Park

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 pm

As I mentioned before, we were out in Ames a couple of weeks ago, and we went out to Big Creek State Park, between Ames and Ankeny. WHAT A NICE PLACE!!!

Now I know that you can't hunt on the state park itself, but most of the adjacent area around the park is open for public hunting, and I was just wondering of any of you have hunted it. It sure looks nice.

What's sad, is that there's probably more public hunting area around the one state park in Iowa as there is in all of Illinois!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Powell1120

RE: Big Creek State Park

Postby Powell1120 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:26 pm

Wow, you've been hanging out in my back yard! I live less than 10 minutes from Big Creek. I have hunted around there a few times. The problem is its location in regards to Des Moines, The hunting pressure is tremendous. In the main park its self, there are always some really nice deer running around. The ground that is open for hunting holds quite a few deer, but as for bucks of anysize you can forget it. If you are interested in filling a doe tag or two you could maybe get that done though. I have seen a 2 yr old buck running the north side of the park that definately has potential if he can make it another year or two.

Woods Walker

RE: Big Creek State Park

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:54 pm

It's some nice looking ground for sure!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Iowa