know of anyone that butchers deer

courtguy2005

know of anyone that butchers deer

Postby courtguy2005 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 am

I live in Saratoga and wondering if anyone near there has a name of someone that can cut up a deer. New to the area, and before I get a deer I would like to know of someone to cut it up for me...Thanks

msbadger

RE: know of anyone that butchers deer

Postby msbadger » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:24 am

Driven thru but don't know the area...try local small grocery butcher....check out any small local gun or archery shops...they'll have the skinny on who's doing what and if they are good or bad....make sure they have some type of cooler though....a guy in Avon some years ago ..right near the DEC office ...lost dozens of deer guys brought in ...they were piled outside and it got warm[8|]

matterhan

Postby matterhan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:16 am

There used to be a guy that did it up on W river road near Bacon Hill.  Also used to be a guy that did it who lived in Schuylerville behind the old school (new town hall).  I don't live there anymore but family does.  I will try to get more info for you.  Try calling Tim Blodgett at Saratoga Lake bait tackle and outdoor shop.  (518) 584-3952  route 9P north end of the lake near Stewart's and State boat launch.  He may have some numbers for you.

ChasePhase

Postby ChasePhase » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Try this list too.

Its a pdf and lists by county for the entire state. http://nyhuntclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=189
http://NYHuntClub.com
or Facebook us

NYDeer

Postby NYDeer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:09 am

From the NY Outdoor News.. Never used them, just passing along the info..

Caver Meats, Clyde NY, 315-923-2040

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:45 am

Have you thought of doing it yourself? It isn't hard and takes only a few hours. By doing it yourself you know you are getting only your deer, as well as, none of the prime cuts being taken.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

courtguy2005

Postby courtguy2005 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm

No I havent done it myself, also I dont have much room to hang a deer inside while I butcher it....I am not against trying however....

Samntuck

Postby Samntuck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 pm

I second the suggestion to do it yourself. I had a family friend show me how to do my first deer and I've butchered every single deer since then alone. I get a huge feeling of accomplishment after I finish butchering a deer--it's great to know that I brought the meat from woods to table, every step of the way. As for your concern about hanging a deer, find a cheap old fridge on craigslist and take all of the shelves out and rig it up to hang a quartered deer inside it. I think I recall someone listing the steps to do this on the forum, but otherwise, I'm sure it wouldn't be tough to figure out a set up. Also, if you don't have someone to show you how to process a deer from start to finish, you can google "how to butcher a deer" and find hundreds of great tutorials filled with pictures and great descriptions. If you learn how to do it, it's a life long skill that'll ensure that you can always provide for yourself and your family self-sufficiently. Good luck!

Return to New York