For what it's worth, here's what I do.
1) Till the ground, don't spray first, cut it down if it's high, but save that round up.
2) smooth out, put down lime if needed, and till it in, smooth out again.
3) wait until geen stuff starts to show up and spray Round Up.
4) wait a couple more weeks spray again.
5) wait a couple more days and hopefully before some rain, and put down the seed and fertilizer and roll. (not drag roll it, with a roller)
6) wait and see if any grass shows up and spray with Arrest.
This is the method I use for clover, if you do an annual don't need to worry about the Arrest.
Weeds don't seem to give me the problems grass does, for weeds mowing them a couple times will kill'em off.
FYI I just bought a one gallon jug of glyphosate 41% for $20.00 @ T/S this weekend.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.