Wisconsin to Buy CWD Site

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Dan Schmidt

Wisconsin to Buy CWD Site

Postby Dan Schmidt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Wisconsin "is broke," but ... http://tinyurl.com/4f9qovv

Your thoughts?
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

ishman

RE: Wisconsin to Buy CWD Site

Postby ishman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 pm

That sure is alot of money to fork out for an 80 acre farm. It does show that the state is willing to do whatever it takes to try and control cwd. Im just not sure everybody in Wisconsin will be happy with the money it costs.
Eric

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:18 am

The guy was in business for profit and obviously at any cost.  I don't think the state should pay anything for the property.  The building and maintenance of the fence should be an ongoing cost drain on the unscrupulous, profit at any cost former business and current landowner. 

The State and Federal Governments hold Companies that pollute the landscape (Paper Companies in the Fox Valley for instance) financially responsible, why shouldn't these venison farmers be held to the same standards?  I'm not certain, but would imagine that he took advantage of tax laws and subsidies while in business and would certainly make for reimbursement of those, at the very least, a credit to the state toward the now on going maintenance of the fence by the state of the now polluted piece of property. 

I personally believe, and think a lot of others would agree in this specific case only, that the state should just take the property under eminent domain and be done with it.  Mostly, because the state will now have on going cost to maintain the fences and monitor property.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Mr. Salmon...I couldn't agree more with what you have said. One, we're broke, and at the moment there is a big uprising in Madison concerning this. Obviously this is an issue (the article that Dan posted), and believe an investigation should be done and if he did break laws, etc, this should be taken over by the state at no cost. Obviously money will have to be spent to keep the fences, etc, up, but this should be the most money us, the taxpayers, spend on this.
QDM!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:22 pm

All I can say is WOW...and that goes for any state that would be willing to basically reward people for costing the state millions of dollars...The state issued them a permit to run a game farm...they turned around and apparently abused that privileged....helped spread a disease that cost the state and individuals a ton of money and I'm assuming they cashed in on insurance they may have gotten. Now the state is willing to pay more than the assessed value of the property?  I understand it's to keep the land under state protection for the wild herd..well I assume this ...but personally it should have been taken under imminent domain and taken at a lower cost...also they should be made to pay penalties if their "farming" practices resulted in this disease spreading...This looks like no one learned their lesson from the state down....JMO  

Return to Breaking News