they have been walking

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
msbadger

they have been walking

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Through the last few days....we won't see them again for a while ...just got 12+ in . of snow today...the elderberry brush is now all but gone...and they won't be able to dig for the grass and fern....I had one walk in my path to the goat barn yesterday ....open the hay barn door and eat 1/4 bale of hay...that's a first....but then again I've been wondering how I dropped so much hay on the floor feeding the goats this year...hhhmmm

MSHunter

RE: they have been walking

Postby MSHunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi msbadger.

That's a beautiful picture.
You should put together a calendar.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks MSH....I can't take the credit...other than finding a good trail and area where they're digging for grasses and eating the Elderberry brush....The Moultrie is...knock...knock..knock...working great!....and in what has been some really tough weather....2months and it is still on 73% and hundreds and hundreds of pics....The others are working  just as well.....funny no other critters except 3 squirrel...with all the fox and yote tracks in and around the area I thought for sure I'd catch at least one....skunk and raccoon tracks in the snow on the way to the deer trail but none near the cameras I actually put live traps out near the chicken coop...they must not eat the same grasses?...I think today I'll take out the digital and take pics of what they are digging up....I just watched a group feeding through the woods out back....the snow is just receding from the tree trunks and they have hit all the bigger trees....digging in and eating at the base of them

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Hey I caught a possum....put a frozen egg in trap and he went for it...he filled the entire weasel trap...nasty little egg steelers...the cold night got him before I did...so I put him in front of one of the cameras...see what happens...here are a few more pics....disregard time and date on last 2 pics....forgot to set them 

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Beautiful photos. Can't wait to get my trail cam out for the first time! I have one, but have never used it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 am

Badgie,
That picture with the two squirrels says a lot about your camera's ability to trigger quickly and "stop action". However, the picture says it was 35 degrees outside on Feb 20th. And here I've been thinking that you live where it's cold outside!! Did you wear shorts when you went out to check the camera cards? I think 35 degrees constitutes a heat wave in New York State.
Keep the pictures coming. It's the only way I'll see any deer pictures. My four cameras are all in the barn yet.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 am

Wanderer...It was it was...got to the 50's for 2 whole days...NO COATS![:D]...Then reality sunk in and we've been down to -2 again...those last two picks ...is another new camera ..I forgot to set...they were taken a couple of days ago ...off a trail I found while hiking...I wanted to catch what had dug out several den holes in this frozen ground....dirt on top of the snow ...but with the last defrost the tracks aren't recognizable...something is triggering that camera a lot but no pics....very pleased to see those 2 big deer...a lot of very big deer tracks ...in a milling around formation...I really don't know why...the only thing right there is the young beech brush and those dens...four in a 5yrd circle...as you can see lots of buds on the beech ....but they don't seem to be too browsed ...see my tree stand way back there at top of pic....there is a small open area between the stand and the deer that I planted rye in a few years ago...but all they've done is walk through it

In the pic below ...I turned the camera looking up at the ridge top where most of the milling around tracks are...you can see where they are coming over the crest of the hill....I've since remembered to set the proper date and time

dewey

Postby dewey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 am

Good pictures guys thanks for sharing.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks....So below are the pics of dens...all the tracks around them ...are deer tracks...so what ever is living in there can't be too menacing....I've never seen activity like this in the winter and frozen ground....the tree is what I assume they chewed on when the snows were really deep...and I see why the deer have been around....this area is the beginning of the gully...the last melt started the stream running from a neighbors field above us...It's the only open water right now for a 1/2 mile in any direction...they bed in the pines a few hundred yards away.......

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:22 pm

From Jan 7th -March 7th ...hundreds of pics several snow and rain storms and 68% battery life still....We picked up a few more of these.....pics from all seem to be equal quality though the CVS batteries are giving best life in the cold temps...

Next

Return to Photo Corner