Need Help Geting my first buck!!!!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cgpenna

Need Help Geting my first buck!!!!

Postby cgpenna » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:13 am

Hi everyone I am new to this forums, so I hope I didnt post this in the wrong area. If I have I apologize.

I am 30 years old. I have been hunting 3 years and I am yet to get my first buck. My father and golden child brother make it a daily routine to completely bash me about my hunting skills. Its absolutely demoralizing to the point of insanity. Both have shot good size 8 pointers this year. Which just adds to the daily insults i get everytime I walk the long walk of shame back into the cabin empty handed. I have to say, that I am fortunate, my family has 2200 acres of lush forest and custom built blinds positioned all through out the property. Which makes makes my situation even more pathetic. I am a good shot so thats not a problem. I have a 4 wheel that i take to the blind, however, I park it 100 yards away and walk to blind. I have a custom build blind and I do smoke. Some ppl say its the four wheeler, some ppl say its the smoking. I just dont know what to believe anymore. My brother and dad use a 4 wheeler and my father smokes in blind and he gets a buck every year. Also, a veteran hunter and a friend of the family has multiple 10 and 12 pointers and he smokes like a chimeney. I am absolutely dedicated to the hunt. I am quite , alert and still when in bllind. I use scent and scent spray to conceal my smell. I did see a monster of a dear about 300 yards away. We have cultivated rye fields with thick brush surrounding the fields. however it seems the deer always head in that direction. I am reluctant to move my position because i dont want to set up in the wrong area and cut off there path. I would appreciate any advice. I am so fed up with being the sorry hunter who has all the opportunies in the world to get a deer and can't. I am also sick off the insults by my family and others who hunt tthe property. I know there are bucks near by because of trail cams. Is there something else I should be doing/ where should I move, if I should move? etc. I also hear that deer quarter downwind, I was wondering what that means as well. Any advice would be appreciated. The blind is also on ground on hill if thats a problem.

badtoys

RE: Need Help Geting my first buck!!!!

Postby badtoys » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:53 am

buy deer and deerhunting videos they'll make you a pro did me
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:11 am

Sounds like your family does not have much to brag about. You all do pretty much the same thing. Just luck, why deer use one path or another today or tomarrow. You guys should trade blinds once in awhile. Rotate! Some may have better deer travel than others. Everyone should get equal chances. With that much land there should be enough room to move around.

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:45 am

Do you like to deer hunt? Do you enjoy a sit in the woods and cant wait to tell them what you saw wheather  they were a flock of turkeys  fox  etc. Would the family criticism decrease by half if you shot a 5 pointer. If you shot a 8 pointer would it be the right type. The rack would have some defect that could be pointed out. ("you should have passed on him he would have been bigger next year")The problem is not deer hunting the issue is family dynamics. Is deer hunting  the only problem you have with them

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:17 am

I'm sorry to hear your family is doing this...unfortunately some times ppl think this kind of behavior is helpful...like..."lighting a fire under him" dilution[8|]
I have been there... a long time ago....Being a woman I left camp cried ...swore... and prayed to God to please, please let me shoot a buck bigger than any one they'd ever gotten...just to show them humility....A very long hour and half ride home...the next day...pure luck...Dropped this guy in my lap...30ft...The pic was taken at camp....where I immediately loaded him in truck and drove him to... I'd shot got him behind the house while looking for tracks in the snow..kinda scouting not hunting...

So...tips....pre season scouting...try the cams set up...scent very important  but a tad less in rifle  areas....if the deer are staying out from blind ...then park the 4 wheel in same place but and put your self on the good wind side of where you see the deer moving....make sure you are brushed in... concealed with a couple of clear shooting lanes...They may have figured the blind as a danger area...pray for some luck... I don't normally ask for trivial things but....well the guys never said another thing to me in a hahaha...negative way...What times are you hunting?

I have to say this...if you think it could be scent control...is getting the deer more or less important than controlling your nicotine addition for a few key hours?...I also never allow my hunting clothes inside...and it gets darn cold here...they stay on a cover porch from Oct to Dec and are washed in baking soda or scent Away once a week...under layers are washed in no scent soaps and left in basement.....Good luck... great things happen to those who work at it...and pray[;)]    

Legacy

Postby Legacy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:57 am

Where to begin...

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:13 pm

First of all You need to work on your scent control,never smoke in your Hunting Clothes,wear rubber boots if possible when walking to and from your stand....like MSBadger mentioned keep your hunting clothes seperate and washed in un-scented detergent!I like using the Scent-killer sprays before going out...they work very well.Do You stay in your stand or leave after 2-3 hours?Pack water,food,apples etc... with You and if possible stay all day,when most Hunters leave the stand they jump up Deer that were bedded down or scare Deer to the other Hunters sitting in their stand all-day long.During the Rut I use the HS Doe in Estrous scent waffers (clean and neat scent),or Tinks #69 bottled Doe in Estrous on scent wicks.If your after a Big Buck You need to get in the thicker woods and put up a ladder stand and let the Deer move around You,if You see several Doe's let them move around and wait for a nice Buck...if a Spike or 4-Pointer comes in wait til a nice Buck decides to check out the Doe's...patients,patients paitents make a Good/Better Deer Hunter.Some times its just being in the right place at the right time and learning and studying the Deer you hunt!

This year I hunted for 5 days before the Buck I was happy with came into range...I passed on 1 Spike Buck,2 different 6-Point Bucks and a decent 8-Pointer until a nice 9-Point Buck came in with a broken brow-tine so he was actually a 8-Point Buck!I can tell You this...if You Bow Hunt it will make You a more determind,patient and skillful Hunter after a few years of being around lots of different Deer!You also need to park your 4-wheeler a lot further away than 100 yards.....the Deer can hear You coming from a mile away....either walk in as far as possible or park the 4-wheeler much further away when you walk in to hunt,as far as that goes your better off driving a truck about 500-800 yards away then walk in!The more You want a nice Deer the harder you have to work for it....if You get a nice Buck then call or radio someone to come get You while your field dressing it!

What State are You located in Cgpenna and are You Rifle Hunting and/or Bow Hunting?

cgpenna

Postby cgpenna » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:58 pm

I like to thank everyone for there response. I saw a few questions, I could answer. I normally rifle hunt. My location is mid-michigan. I am leaving tomorrow to go to our cabin. Does late season have different techinques for hunting? I am definately going to not smoke, and I am going to try to walk to blind or leave 4 wheeler much farther away. Also, what calls or scents should I be using right now? How much should I use them, if any at all? Thx again!!!! I love my family and its great just to be able to spend time with them, so I shouldnt complain, but it would be incredible to bag the biggest deer in camp.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:02 pm

Well for late season Hunting I would hunt close to a food source,the calls that work for us is the "Can Call" with the Doe in Estrous sound/bleat.Scent wise You may be able to use any Doe in Estrous scents if You have a late 2nd Rut there?Don't over do it with any calls....if You see a nice Buck coming into range leave him be and You won't spook him away,if he looks un-interested and may be turning or walking away a light "Grunt" on a Buck call or the Doe "Can Call" will draw him back towards You?Some believe in rattling horns....sometimes it works..other times it could scare a away if he thinks the other Deer is bigger?Good Luck Hunting and enjoy the Outdoors,don't get too competative with Your Family....in other words enjoy the time with them and being by yourself watching the wildlife and You may just see the Buck your hoping for without all the worries and stress,just let it happen and after time You'll be a better Hunter! Good Luck and shoot straight! [;)]

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:37 pm

cgpenna, it seems like you have a lot of good advice to ponder now!

It's a shame you feel pressured by your family. My best hunts are when good times are shared, and not necessarily from just killing deer. I hate to compete with other hunters and would rather for everyone to enjoy each other's harvest.

Try going into the woods with a new attitude. Maybe a different location, since you have so much ground to hunt. Feeding areas are great this time of year, like GTO Hunter said. Since we're at the end of the rut also, it wouldn't hurt to position yourself where some does may be feeding in the fields, etc. When you said "blinds", I assume you are on the ground? If so, control your scent better! If not, still control your scent but concentrate on a better location with regard to the wind. Bottom line: Look for signs of deer and set-up there! Deeper timber here in Illinois are better during the rut and late rut, but are horrible in the late season. Try ANYTHING different, since nothing has been fruitful with your current set-up, (for you) in the past.

I wouldn't recommend hunting for a big buck now, but hitting areas where heavy traffic can only increase your odds of taking any deer. Maybe a prayer would help too! The Lord knows we all need a little help in this sport :-)
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Next

Return to Best Practices