Body scent control

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
zacman

Body scent control

Postby zacman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 am

I have for many years used the green"Hunter's Specialities" body wash to bathe in before huntng season approaches. Recently while taking a shower, I noticed wife had a bottle of the [i]Equate brand[/i] (available at Wal-Mart) Feminine wash on the shelf. I was curious and sniffed it. To my supprise, this feminine wash smelled EXACTLY like the green "Hunter's Specialities" I had been using for many years. Now I bathe and was hair and body in it. The cost is much less ($2.75 for 15 oz bottle conpared to $6 - $7) for the Hunter's Specalities) While at my local Wal-Mart, I mentioned it to a fellow shopper and he was astonished at my finding. So instead of purchasing his brand of hunting body wash, he bought a bottle of this feminine wash. Also I have found out that many hunters doesn't take the time to deodorize the small things that many a big difference. These include hats, boots, and gloves. The hat band contains prespiration and odors that are detected by deer. I wash or soak all hats in "Sport Wash" (by Sno-seal) to eliminate any traces of prespiration. Spray inside of boots with a fungal killing foot spray and use a cover scent on the bottoms. Arm & Hammer has an Odor Free, (no dye, no phosphate, no bleach) laundry detergent that may be helpful to those that want to save instead of payiny the high price for the brand name sports detergents. Many different types of UNSCENTED antiprespirant deodorants are available also. I apply these to "ANY" place that my body prespires. Such as underarms, foreheads, inside both groin areas, and....yes my behind. I can't say this WILL help everybody that uses it, but it sure has helped me in controlling odor for just a few dollars.

Everyday Hunter

RE: Body scent control

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm

zacman -- welcome to the D&DH forums. You're off to a great start with that post. A lot to think about there. And the Equate brand feminine wash thing might answer a question I've been asking myself lately. I was wondering if someone was making a scent-eliminating soap that HS was dying and bottling. Maybe that's it! Check to see if they have an ingredients list.

Here's what the WalMart site says about Equate brand feminine wash: [/align]
[size="3"]Item Description[/size][ul][*]The Intimate Cleansing Needs of Today's Woman Demand A Gentle, Yet Effective Alternative to Traditional Soap & Water. Equate Feminine Wash For Sensitive Skin Is A Non-Soap Cleanser, Specially Formulated to Be Hypo-Allergenic. Equate Feminine Wash Gently Removes Odor-Causing Bacteria Leaving You Fresh, Clean & Confident. Use It In The Bath Or Shower Every Day Or Just When You Feel The Need For Cleansing[*]Intimate Cleansing Formula[*]Hypo-Allergenic[/ul][/align][/align][/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align][size="3"]Ingredients [/size]
Purified Water (Aqua), Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Decyl Glucoside, Disodiumcocoamphodiacetate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, Disodium Edta, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methyliothiazolinone, Fragrance (Perfurm), Fd&C Red #33 & Fd&C Blue #1

Here's what the HS site says about Scent Away Body Soap & Shampoo:
Available in both liquid and bar soap form, the original Scent-A-Way™ "green soap" contains natural vegetable proteins that attack body odors. It includes Honeyquat for increased hydration and aloe vera for soft skin and hair. Scent-A-Way Soap can be used as a body soap or shampoo and is also an excellent all-around hand soap. Odorless and environmentally friendly. Great for trappers, anglers and campers.

I see that the WalMart product has a fragrance, but the HS product isn't odor-free, as you mention. I don't know what Honeyquat is, and I'd bet some ingredients are in there to make it proprietary, but it would be worth checking out to see if it's essentially the same thing. Anybody know a chemist who could offer an opinion?

Also makes me think about that old commercial with Leslie Nielson (who passed away yesterday.) He's sitting in a recliner voicing the ad script, and the camera pans back to see his feet clad in fluffy slippers. He says, "You're wondering why the slippers? Well, sometimes I just want to feel like a woman." [:D]

Steve
[/align][/align][/align][/align]
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

zacman

RE: Body scent control

Postby zacman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:28 am

You do the sniff test and then tell me. Also I just went to "Wally World" (wal mart) and bought the scent free laundry detergent that is Hypo-Allergenic. (There's different brands). These are used for people that has sensitive skin and for babies as well. They contain NO ODORS. The one I got washes 64 loads (1/2 gallon)for about $6.00...cheaper that the seasonal deer laundry soap they stock, which says it washes 18 loads and averages $6 to $7.00 for about 20 oz bottle. I done the sniff test as well on several brands and read ingredents. Haven't used the laundry soap as of yet, but it's worth a try. Ain't but one way to find out! Hopefully I'll get to Post BIG pictures at a later date.

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness