Does every hunter go through this?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Psychoticchaos

Does every hunter go through this?

Postby Psychoticchaos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Let me start with, I hunt for food and, Hunting has been my life since I went my first time with my father when I was 6, I'm 23 now. It always upset me a little when I took a deer but because of the native american practices I follow when I find the animal, it was never enough to make me question hunting.

Recently I found a deer that was still alive after being hit by a car, It couldnt move because of broken legs and ribs but it was still very much alive. I didnt have a gun with me, only my hunting knife. So I put the deer out of its misery the quickest way I could with what I had available at the time (cut his throat). This was the first time I ever had to kill an animal this up close and personal. Of course when I first stuck the knife in he let out a cry, I waited, listening to him choke and stuggle to live for what seemed like a half hour but was only a couple minutes.

That had been biting at me for about a week and I couldnt stop thinking about how he felt and the way I had to do it. But I still decided I still wanted to go out and hunt. After sitting in my stand for a while 2 yearlings walked out infront of me. I had a perfect shot on both of them, but instead of taking it I just sat and watched them play for a good hour before they ran off. Normally I would have taken one of them but I couldnt bring my self to do it this time.

I love hunting and want to keep hunting but I'm having a hard time taking the shot. I just wondered if every hunter goes through this at some point or if its not every hunter, if anybody who has would have any advice for me?
Lord, let my arrow fly true, make this a swift and humane kill, Save him from any suffering.

Gulfcapt

RE: Does every hunter go through this?

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 pm

I had the same experience you had psychoticchaos with killing a deer with a knife. exept it was from a bad shot that I made from a bow.. Had to track it then finish killing it after i cought up to her! I could be wrong but I don't think alot of people has ever heard a deer scream for her/his life while your trying to finish it off. That sound stuck to me to this day!!!!!!!!!!

Do what you can to make the most humane kill possible, and you done the right thing in my book by putting it down.

Now the rest of these guys in this forum might not think so....

Psychoticchaos

Postby Psychoticchaos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Thank you gulf, the wail that he let out i will never forget either. I keep telling myself that I did the right thing by killing him as quick as possible rather than letting him lay there and starve to death. I know hunting will never be the same for me. As a definantly have ALOT more respect for them than I already did. I just hope that before this season is over that I will be able to take the shot again
Lord, let my arrow fly true, make this a swift and humane kill, Save him from any suffering.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Hey guys,
I spine shot a doe last year with my gun.  She was still alive as I walked up on her.  Put her down with a point blank shot to the neck.  She gave out a wail as I was walking up.

Made me sick, but I know I did what needed to be done.  I did not enjoy it, but just knowing that it bothered me so much....that helped me realize I did the right thing. 

Make sense?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

forkhorn

Postby forkhorn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:12 pm

you done the right thing by stopping the suffering as quick as you could. i shot a 6 point in the boiler room at 20 yrds. with my bow. i never did find that deer after searching for hours and hours. it bothered me so much i stopped bow hunting for a few year's. i am bow hunting again but i alway's think of that 6 point before i fire a arrow at a deer. we are hunter's with a heart and that is o.k

Psychoticchaos

Postby Psychoticchaos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:28 pm

thanks guys, now I know I'm not the only one who has gone through this and that others have been able to hunt. One day, Hopefully soon, I will be able to take the shot and fill my freezer

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:36 pm

It is illegal in Illinois to kill a deer that has been struck by a vehicle.  Your are suppose to call the police and I assume they finish it off.  What an absolutely horrible rule. 

I heard a deer wail once after I shot it.  Not a pleasant sound, but it never bothered me.  We use to raise rabbits and the would "scream" too.  Not pleasant, but it did not stop us for providing food for the table.

It has never bothered me to draw a weapon on an animal.  It may not be popular to say, but the kill is a thrill.  But so is being in the woods, butchering and eating the meal that God has provided man.

Psychoticchaos

Postby Psychoticchaos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Thats how I am, I loved every part of the hunt, the kill, tracking, gutting, skinning, butchering EVERYTHING, Untill i had to kill one with a knife, I think I probably just need a cooling off period.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 pm

LOL Im not laughing at you! Put ain't Ohio cooooooooool enough this time of year?
It won't hurt to sit in the woods.. Patriot posted have you ever videoed a kill.. I personaly haven't. Altho I did take a video camera with me a few time to my lease, and videoed the deer those afternoons/morning(had my bow with me also)

I enjoyed the videoing more then I would of shooting one.. I took it back home and plug it in the TV to show my wife, and brother-inlaw and his son.

Psychoticchaos

Postby Psychoticchaos » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

This time of year, yes ohio is very cool lol. I thought about video taping them as well, I figured if i cant get to where I can take the shot, I can just take pictures or video tape them and send it to huntig magazines and stuff, Maybe start a tracking service or something.

Plus if I video taped them my fiance would get to experience a little part of hunting, Since she freezes in 70 degree weather she would never get in a stand to see it first hand lol

Next

Return to Best Practices