Whitetail Institute Seeds??

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
AbsoluteArchery

Whitetail Institute Seeds??

Postby AbsoluteArchery » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:34 pm

I Was wondering what everyone thinks about their products? Pros........Cons......Favorite seeds and crops

thank You in Advance

shaman

RE: Whitetail Institute Seeds??

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:49 am

I asked this same question when I went to the feed store the first time.  The guy's answer?  Cost.    There may be something special in all these private label seeds, but you may or may not see it.  If you're just starting out, I would recommend you get your feet wet with a simple trial-- wheat and clover as a for-instance.

But there's a catch.  Clover and wheat are okay, but  overall be careful of blends.  More often than not, when you mix seeds together, one seed will sprout and crowd out the others.  I once thought I'd  be smart and put sunflowers in with the rest of what I was planting-- bad move.  Some plants like sunflowers included exude toxins make inhibit the growth of other plants.  If you're going to mix things up, it's often a good idea to do part of the plot in one thing and part in the other, rather than mix it up all together.  That way, one variety won't crowd out the others.

My advice is:

1)  Invite your state wildlife biologist over for a survey.  Mine came for free, and his help was invaluable.
2)  Go to the feed store and ask for advice.   Remember, he's going to be directly rewarded by giving you the best advice, because he knows you'll come back with repeat business if he steers you the right way.
3)  Take some time and study up on things yourself
4)  Ramp up slow and easy.  I tried a whole bunch of things and went to a lot of expense before finding out a simple plot of ladino clover and wheat did better than anything else.

When I first got into this, I was thinking I'd go with one of the fancy name brands.  I went to the feed store, figuring I could do better mail-order, but just listening to what he had to say.    The guy at the feed store had the fancy name brand I was thinking of at a good price, but he said he could match it pretty well at a cheaper price with better stuff that he had on hand.  He also cut out a few components that probably would not come up due to my soil pH.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

I am a field tester for Whitetail Institute seed and have used Imperial Whitetail clover in one of my food plots from 2002 until present and even the neighbors deer prefer it. One piece of advice is if you plant clover in the spring, do not mow it and let it dry and reseed and mow it in the fall and you will not have to replant it. I planted mine in 2002 and it is still growing strong. In the fall on two of my food plots I plant Whitetail Institute Pure Attraction which has oats and turnips and winterpeas and the deer go crazy for it.
If you can find it you can kill it.

highridgehunter

Postby highridgehunter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 am

I use the WINA Clover and the Wintergreens and they are great.  Do a soil test or get the Biologic PH Tester.  The first year I used their products I subscribed to them and got 8-10 packets of seeds for test plots and used them in a 1/4 acre area and watched what worked well and what didn't.  The clover is king when it comes to spring summer and early fall feed.  I frost seeded some Tall Tine Tubers (Turnips) this year into the clover plot and didn't have to add high nitrogen fertilizer because of the nitrogen the clover produces.  Their product is very good.

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I've used their products now for five years and I've been happy. My first plot was an Imperial Whitetail Clover plot that I will have to replant this year after five years.

I've used Wintergreens for a couple of years which the deer pound and this year I mixed some Wintergreens with Tall Tine Tubers which has worked very well. The deer LOVE the turnips!

I don't worry myself about the cost too much since I don't plant much more than 1-1.5 acres.
[align=left] [/align]

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management