875lb Black Bear

DaveYak

875lb Black Bear

Postby DaveYak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm

[font="times new roman"]I know this is a deer hunting forum but what does everyone think about the HUGE black bear killed in Bushkill, PA this past week with a crossbow?  I have read a bunch of stories and it sounds like someone illegally feeding the wild bear for years and was devastated when he heard it got shot by a hunter.  I say, good for the hunter and the man feeding the bear should adopt a pet! [/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101120/NEWS/11200303

DaveYak

Everyday Hunter

RE: 875lb Black Bear

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks for posting this, Dave. My impression is that the bear was illegally fed and habituated to people. The hunter who shot the bear is being unjustly vilified. If it turns out to be a new world record most people will consider it tainted -- but it's not because of the hunter.

This should be a lesson to all to not feed bears, but unfortunately some people won't learn.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 am

[font="times new roman"]Another reason not to feed the bears!  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Growing up my best friend's family had a run in with two, 3 year old bears that were being fed all summer, then the individuals feeding the bears went south for the winter.  Well turns out the bears got used to being close to houses and people and really liked the taste of people food better than there wild browse.  The two ended up ripping the back door of their house and were tearing apart the entire kitchen when his dad came down stair with the 44mag in hand.  The one bear started moving towards him when he noticed my buddies dad was there.  Needles to say the kitchen ended up a bloody mess with 2, 250lb bears laying there dead.  He right away called the game commission and told them what happened, he was allowed to tag one of the bears and keep it and they took the other one with them when they left the scene of the crime.  The only bright spot is, momma got the new kitchen she had been wanting on the home owners insurances dime.  The scary thing is my buddy had a 3yr old sister at that time, what would have happened if she went down to the kitchen first???  She might have been just another snack for the 2 bears, who knows.  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]  [/font]
[font="times new roman"]Like Everyday hunter said, DON'T FEED THE BEARS![/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font] 
[font="times new roman"]DaveYak[/font]

AbsoluteArchery

Postby AbsoluteArchery » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:04 pm

They interviewed the huntet that shot the bear and said it's a damn shame because he killed a world class black bear BUT because this guy was feeding it, his (the Hunter) reputation is tarnished forever and he won't ever get the respect that he so well deserves...

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Yes, it's too bad. The people who were feeding it are the ones who did wrong, not the hunter. In my view, it's probably best that the bear is dead. The bear was not tame -- he was only habituated to people. What would have happened if a the bear came up to a small child expecting to be fed?

For those who thought the bear was harmless, you only have to look at Sigfried and Roy -- they thought their tiger was tame.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Pennsylvania