Little Corn Field Advice

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sappersayce

Little Corn Field Advice

Postby sappersayce » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm

There is a large cornfield (300 acres?) that has not yet been harvested. The area receives moderate pressure. On October 30th I sat 300 yrds off of it and called in a spike (in the oaks). A creek borders the east side and there is a small ridge with oaks to the South. To the North is a very large cut again bordered by the creek. Seeking advice on how close I should sit to the field. The rut should be kicking in about now here in Maine. Thanks.
Sappah

JPH

RE: Little Corn Field Advice

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Take it from someone who lives in the land of corn, standing corn sucks! There are posters here who have had great success hunting in standing corn, but I am not among them. My first advice would be to hunt elsewhere. If that is not an option, I would seek out a corner and hunt inside the timber, right where it bends around the field. This forces bucks who are skirting the field to funnel past you.

Good luck!

Woods Walker

RE: Little Corn Field Advice

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:59 pm

On a windy day I'd make a beeline for that standing corn and spend all day hunting it row by row using the wind. If there's a weedy gully, or a hump or some trees in there you've struck gold!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Best Practices