Arrow Vanes

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
medicpjh

Arrow Vanes

Postby medicpjh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello, I have always bought arrows with vanes, and now I want to replace them with new ones of my choice. looking at 4 or 5" vanes orange and white on gold tip 5575 carbons, shooting 100gr rage and G5 broad heads.
Questions I have are what helical degree do I use? left or right helical? what kind of jig do you recommend?
Any input would be great,
Thanks,

ilovetohunt

RE: Arrow Vanes

Postby ilovetohunt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:17 pm

First off I'll admit I am of no use when it comes to helping answer your questions of helical degrees and jigs; however, I will add something that I have done to increase my success as a bowhunter. This past summer I researched the NAP quickspin vanes and after a couple weeks of decision making (I didn't want to make any rash decisions to mess up my bow set-up) I decided to go ahead and buy a pack.

As soon as I got home I cut the vanes off one arrow and removed the excess glue with acetone. I did just as the directions said, place it in boiling water for 10 seconds and watch them shrink on. I took that arrow out and shot it against my other arrows that had 4" vanes. The results were amazing. I could instantly tell that I was getting more velocity becuase my arrows with the quickspin vanes penetrated my block nearly 3" deeper than my other arrows. I also shot much tighter groups which is what you're shooting for as a bowhunter (*pun intended). Another thing that was corrected was that my thunderheads flew almost exactly like my field points. That never happened with my old arrows. But I suppose this shouldn't really matter to you since the rage claims it flies like a field point to begin with.

I'll apologize for ranting and being of no use to helping you with your questions. Just thought I'd offer you another potential set up you might consider.

Brian

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest talking to an archery shop and see what they recommend.  Have you ever tried using shorter vanes?  How long do you think you'll be shooting?  For the most part, short vanes are great for shooters 30 yards and under.  There is less a chance of something wrong happening at that short distance.  With longer shots, longers ones are recommended to keep the arrow in a great flight pattern. 
QDM!

Walking Crow

Postby Walking Crow » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:02 am

It does not matter which helical you use left or right just so the are all the same on the arrow.

Walking Crow

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:14 pm

I was told Right helical for compounds and left for Recurves . Don't know if there is any truth to this but , that's what I was told .
Semper Fi !

Maineyotekiller

Postby Maineyotekiller » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:24 pm

If you are using plastic vanes, use any helical you choose. I'd advise a straight clamp with an offset. I use a Bitzenburger jig. They are the most expensive but, your grandchildren can sell the jig if they want after you pass away! lol They are made that well! lol

I use VaneTec2.0 HP vanes (I think they are the best) with about a 3 degree offset. For glue? I've used it all and I think the best is Gorilla super glue with the blue cap. It is impact resistant and does not get brittle or turn white when it dries. Plus, it's about 1/4 the price of other archery adhesives. works fabulous on inserts too!

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Heath
Take your child hunting and you will never have to hunt your child!

soloshooter

Postby soloshooter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:50 am

I am with almost everyone else. With plastic vanes It really doesn't matter which helical you use as long as it is the same with all of your arrows. Feathers are different because of the curve of right anf left wing feathers.

My choice of of arrow construction are Blazer Vanes (less weight) in a straight attachment. And my choice of a jig is the Bitzenburger. You can buy the extra clamps for straight, right or left fletching.

Walking Crow

Postby Walking Crow » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:33 am

It really does not matter which way you go left or right.  Just so they are all the same on the arrow. The only time it makes a difference is if you use feathers. That is because feathers have a curve to them and which way it curves depends on wheter it came from the right wing or left wing. With plastic vanes they can be installed either way.

Walking Crow

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:10 am

I'm probably not answering correctly but I have had good luck using the 4" Quik-Spin vanes and an Arizona E-Z Fletch Jig with a Right Twist .
I think there is a difference with Offset Vanes and Helical and I believe the terms get used wrong . I think the Arizona Jig is considered OFFSET .
Semper Fi !

soloshooter

Postby soloshooter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Normally I think with vanes you would put a straight attachment or offset. If you were using feathers then you would use a helical fletch ( RT with RT wing feathers and LT with LT wing feathers). Also with the vanes you can offset. What ever you use make sure all the arrows are done the same way. What is use for broadheads are the Rage 2 blade and a straight fletch with Blazer Vanes - My choice of Fletching jig is the Blitzenburger - You can buy straight, Rt or Lt clamps and can also adjust the jig for offset.

"Fasteddie stated that he thinks the Arizona fletch is offset? I think is is just a fast way to field repair your arrows in a straight fletch." 

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting