2010 Season Roll Call

boopie8166

RE: 2010 Season Roll Call

Postby boopie8166 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:34 am

hey whats up kon, i was at tommys shop strickly archery the other day and i went behind the counter and saw your name on the clip board small world. said that you were havining a problem paper tuning it he is the right person to take of it. let me know when your going up i want to show you a piece of public land around the corner from the shop. i hunted that piece last year nailed a big 9 pointer. talk to ya soon charlie.
IN MY WORLD FASTER IS BETTER

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Hey Charlie, good to hear from you...yeah was having a devil of a time getting the new Z7 to paper tune...was frustrated as all hell, borught it to two other dealers and the one I bought it from dismissed it as my grip and torquing the bow, the second one tried but really didn't do much except make it worse! [:@]  I heard good things about Tommy and truth be told I was going to buy a bow from him to begin with but he was too far for me.  Anyway, I gave him a shot and not only did he fix the problem, he gave me a super class on how to correctly shoot my bow!  To tell you my shooting is night and day would be an understatement!!!  I'm stacking arrows and shooting bullet holes now.  I can't say enough good things about Tommy and Ray at Strictly Archery!!!  He now has a customer for life!!  Funny thing as I was driving to his shop, I came across Brass Castle Road and Belvidere street, and it all clicked...that's the place you talked about last year!!!  I would definitely like to take you up on the offer to go see it...maybe this upcoming Saturday?  Let me know if that works for you and we'll go from there.  I was going to see Tommy this week to bring up my old bow so he can square it away for me as a back up to the Z7 and for a new stab...but I recall he was going away for a week and i think Saturday Oct 30 was the day.  Regardless lets see if we can meet up!

Soxfan...no worries bro, i never made it last Thursday, instead I opted to hunt a buddy's back yard...did that for two days in a row and did not see a thing..then went to the WMA in Flemington where I usually see something..and nothing!!! [:@]  man I am in a serious slump right now and I wanted to at least have a doe under my belt by now...oh well..guess that's how it goes.  I may hunting Raminessin Tuesday...if not probably Thursday, all depends on the weather.  Can't say I blame ya for hunting were you have deer around ya...I'd do the same!  Good luck and we'll meet up soon!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 am

DeanoZ I will be at the park tomorrow around three. Rayningblood and I will also be there Saturday afternoon. Let me know if you will be around.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 am

Hello to all.
New member here.
To get my feet wet... I am hunting in south jersey just outside of Atlantic City. I am new to hunting about 8 years. Still a lot to learn.
Been out twice this year. I have seen a number of does and a couple of bucks that did not offer a shot. Activity has been good. Not much Rut action. No seeking or chasing. Has anyone else seen any indication that the Rut has started?

MassMan20

Postby MassMan20 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:41 am

Whats up DEERBILL...I got out monday afternoon and can tell you that the rut is on...saw about 20 doe and 2 bucks(small 4 / big 10)...will be out again today...ill post up in the morning

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:38 am

Hello deerbill, welcome to the site. Yes the rut is on. Rayningblood and I have been seeing more bucks than does the last 3 times out. Rayningblood took a doe(congrats buddy) saturday and I got busted by a nice looking 4 pointer. I am afraid of heights and had to turn in my treestand to get shot and he busted me. Damn deer was only 4 yards from me...oh well. Rayningblood and I saw the biggest deer we had seen in a long time monday morning. Too dark to shoot, I'm talking barley able to see, 2 does went flying past Rayningblood and shortly after the monster followed. He want right under him. He couldnt see his peepsite or pins so he had to just watch him. He then walked passed me. All I could see was the massive rack kinda glowing in the darkness. Couldnt count points but it was at least 8 and most likely 10. My heart was pounding as I prayed to god to get some light but by the time it was light enough he had walked away looking for the does. So again, the rut is on, so get out there!
Massman, congrats on your NC hunt. Sounds like you had a great time.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I have been following site for some time now. Good luck MassMan20. I'll take Soxfan's suggestion and get in the woods asap. The only problem I have is not having much land to hunt. I hunt on my own 5 acres. Don't want to over hunt the area. I try to stick to one day during the week & 1 day during the weekend. I am looking for other areas to hunt. It seems in my area a lot of clubs & their members "stake claim" to the public area's around where I hunt. "They" are very protective of the area they hunt during gun season. I've had 2 encounters that weren't very cordial. I'm Bow hunting, their baiting. And not baiting the area I was in. They were just passing thru. I am a very respectful hunter when it comes to set ups. I don't encroach on anyone's "area" I am very careful not to screw up someones else's spot. These guy's were just pigs. Had to be 40 acres in the area I was in. Plenty of room I think?? I may be off base here but some people just have to have all the land to them selves... I just have to do my homework and find a spot. Thanks for letting me vent. For now I'll stick to my 5 acres. Hopefully all their stumbling around will push the deer my way.
Good luck

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Massman welcome back and congrats!  Deerbill welcome to the forums and our little spot here in NJ.  We'ere a fairly close group here and try to help each other out.  As for your situation its a shame you run across those types, and if its on public land even more so, they have no right to exclusivity whether their baiting or not...thats just public land for ya.  Not sure how far south you are but there are plenty of other public and county spots that are pretty good as well.  A few of us here hunt monmouth county parks and do fairly well there...well the other guys do, I've been having a lousy season thus far, lol!

Soxfan, saw your post sorry we did not meet up, I've been hunting my buddies backyard for the last 4 sits...we saw good sign, lots of fresh rubs and scrapes...but as I suspected most of the activity is taking place at night..needless to say I've not seen a single deer in almost 4 sits...discouraging but this week I plan to hunt out of state, Ohio with my brother and another buddie, so oping my luck changes.  Good luck to you all in the next couple weeks...I'll have a report (and hopefully pics) when i get back.  You guys still hunting in Monroe or did you go to Holmdel?  When i get back we'll hook-up..I promise...same goes with Charlie...dying to scout that place!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 am

Good luck DeanoZ, hope you nail a nice one. Well I had a great day yesterday. I nailed a nice 8/9 pointer. He was a solid 8 but had a small semi drop tine. Rayningblood and I think it is the same one we saw in the dark. Not quite sure though. So my buck hunting is done, time to stock up freezer with does. Good luck to all. Let me know when you are going to be at Raminessin, and I will try to hook up with ya.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Good luck Deanoz. Nice deer Soxfan congrats. I don't see many deer like that in my area. Most of what I see are strange looking. One side of the rack will be nice, 3 or 4 points, the other will be a spike or forked. Seen this many times. Maybe poor nutrition or genetics in my area. Keep in mind I am only hunting about 40 acres of area. Anyhow any Buck is a trophy in my eyes. Its all about the experience, hart pounding, is he going to present a shot, will he scent me, am I going to get busted... There is nothing like it. Thats why I like this site. Not many of my friends hunt. They don't understand the feeling. They want to know why I don't shoot evrything or anything that walks by. I do see myself evolving as a hunter. I have read Charles Alsheimer's article " 5 stages of hunting" I think I'm entering stage 3. I don't need to shoot everything that walks by. Been there done that. It's time to up the challenge. Please keep the stories & advice comming.

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey