How many sits?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

How many sits?

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am

There are probably a lot of variables to this question, but assuming its during the rut and your located in a classic funnel or area you know there is good sign and a lot of traffic.  You have a week to hunt this area so you want to make the most of it.  You sit it that day and see absolutely nothing.  Would you give it another sit or two before moving on to another stand location?  I've got an out of state rut hunt planned next week, on a DIY Public Land hunt, have some familiarity with the area but not a whole lot and its huge.  Any thoughts on a strategy?

Proline

RE: How many sits?

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am

I think hunting funnels that have active sign is the best approach for the prerut/rut and all day/mid day hunts are just as good as traditional times. But your question IMO, is also tied to densities.  I have a few very good funnels that we take deer out of every year but...............I'm in Mass. where densities are nothing like NJ.  You may have to sit them a few times to see deer.  Everything is tied to numbers when densities or low.  The old expression "the first time you sit a stand is the best time" is necessarily accurate in lands where densities are low.  

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:59 am

The old expression "the first time you sit a stand is the best time" is necessarily accurate in lands where densities are low.

Meant to say ...Isn't necessarily accurate.

jbekes

Postby jbekes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:07 pm

I would have no problem boing back to the same place for another day. If you are not that familiar with the ground you are going to have to spend quite a few hours finding somewhere else to hunt. That might be worth it if you hunt this place every year because that will give you more options in the future if you have a couple places that you know the deer use year after year.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm with you on this one Proline... case in point:  Sunday my brother and i hunted a small 10 acre plot of timber with some very good trails and sign.  i bumped a very small buck on the walk in, but didn't see anything else all afternoon, nor did my bro.  He hunted monday afternoon and had 3 bucks work through the area.  He harvested a good sized 7 point with a huge body. 

If you know deer are using the area, give it at least a couple of days, especially close to rut.  you never know when a good buck is gonna come along looking for a hot doe.

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:13 pm

also you could try switching up the time you sit that area, you know they are there and working the area, but you don't see them in the afternoon or evening, try again for the morning ... if they are there they have to be either coming or going, just need to get them at the right time
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Personally, I see no real problem hunting the same funnel area several days in a row. You might want to consider repositioning yourself within that funnel, if possible. I do not like to hunt a given spot or area for more than 3 days in a row.........just my personal preference, but I feel that more than that I have probably contaminated that area or may have been seen by deer that I didn't see. I may go back to that area after a few days of hunting somewhere else.
During the rut, it's nearly impossible to predict where deer are going to appear, but a good funnel area is always a good bet, especially in the early part of the season when there are likely lots of other hunters in the neighborhood, spooking and scattering deer away from their normal routes or trails.
Just my opinion.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, guess I'll give a spot a minimum of two days and then play it by ear.  The area is over 10,000 acres in Ohio so there is plenty of elbow room and places to go.  I just want to make the best of the limited time I'll have there.  Ohio DNR has done a pretty good job of managing their herds so I'm guessing the densities will hopefully support good activity and movement...least that's what the research I've done on the area supports.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 pm

If you have a spot that you KNOW is good from past experience and previous kills, then you should have no qualms at all about going back to it based on the theory that the longer you sit there, the better the odds are that something WILL come by.

I had a spot like this on a farm that I hunted for 14 years. It was not a bow stand, but for firearm it was as sure a thing as a fair chase hunt can offer. One time I sat it for the entire 3 days of the first half of gun season, and on the morning of the last day shot a real nice 12 pointer from it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm

I hear ya Lou, and that's great advice, but I don't have a lot of knowledge of the area and have never hunted it.  If I had a month we probably would not be having this convo.  Only got a week so I'm going to give a spot no more than 3 sits and then I'm moving on...unless I know for sure deer are walking through the area...only takes one hot doe and its on like Donkey Kong!!!! [;)]   BTW, haven't chatted with ya in a while...hows things looking on your end?

Next

Return to Best Practices