hows everyone shooting?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
danesdad

RE: hows everyone shooting?

Postby danesdad » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Once I start, I try to shoot four or five times a week. I work night shift, and 7AM, when I get home, is the perfect time to fling a few.  Usually, I dont shoot for a long time or for real long distances.  I feel that any shot I take at game is most likely going to be the first shot I take that day.  So, in practice, I try to make the first shot count.  I believe that many short practice sessions are more beneficial to me than, say, one 100 shot session, once a week would be.  I find that, as the weeks go on and the practice sessions pile up, shooting becomes more natural to me and I find I'm hitting well without thinking too much about form, aim, and soforth.

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 am

Thanks Woods Walker I didn't even think about me holding my elbow too high. When I fling a few today I will be definately keeping your advice in mind.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:02 am

its good to see everyone is shooting good and shooting through the summer. I was thinking about trying to get into a few turnys around here, anybody in any right now? how are ya doing in that? Im also having trouble finding turnys to shoot in around here. Im in michigan and have been just looking on the internet.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:58 am

Deercamp,

Where in Michigan are you? If your close to Ann Arbor the Western Wayne co conservation  club located in Plymouth has a 3d shoot every month its alot of fun. Also Michigan bow hunting assoc has a list of up coming archery events, such as tournaments and 3d shoots  http://www.wwcca.com/

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:29 pm

been shooting about 2 times a week, can't complain cosistant out to 40 yds. don't intend to go any farther.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:28 am

How am I shooting?

Not at all. I have been dealing with rotator cuff tendonitis. [:'(]

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

How am I shooting?

JPH, a good exercise to at least keep yourself in shape till you get your tendonitis cleared up is to get one of those rubber therapy bands(I would recommend heavy or extra heavy). You can adjust the tension as you get stronger by either tying a knot at various locations to make the band shorter or by wrapping it around your hand more times. The shorter you make it the more it will require you to work to reach your anchor point. If you use a release you can easily tie a rope to the band so you can grip it and draw it.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:18 am

midland, about an hr and a half from there.. its worth checking out tho
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:21 am

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

ORIGINAL: JPH

How am I shooting?

JPH, a good exercise to at least keep yourself in shape till you get your tendonitis cleared up is to get one of those rubber therapy bands(I would recommend heavy or extra heavy). You can adjust the tension as you get stronger by either tying a knot at various locations to make the band shorter or by wrapping it around your hand more times. The shorter you make it the more it will require you to work to reach your anchor point. If you use a release you can easily tie a rope to the band so you can grip it and draw it.

Thanks for the advice. I have actually been using bands for rehab for about a month. The exercises are not specific to archery though. I'll give your idea a try.

Seems like I've always got one joint or another bothering me. So muchfor Mr. Fitness, huh?

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:03 pm

LOL, I have found many things that are not archery specific that help greatly and many things in archery that make other things easier. By shooting proper back tension I have found that I also transfer much physical work to my back muscles without thinking about it and am able to move things much heavier than I normally would.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices