Deer Check Stations

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Sam Menard

Deer Check Stations

Postby Sam Menard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 pm

From what I gather by reading these threads, it appears that many jurisdictions have mandatory check stations. I'm curious to know how many states/provinces mandate that hunters must check their deer.

In Ontario there are few check stations anymore, and it is not mandatory to report your kill. The MNR (DNR) mails surveys to all draw tag holders, but hunters are not compelled to reply. Success rates and population numbers are estimated and pro-rated based on the survey results.

What about where you hunt/live?
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Woods Walker

RE: Deer Check Stations

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

They had them in Illinois up until a few years ago, and I'm sure glad they got rid of them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

they still have mandatory deer check stations here in New Hampshire .. part of that reason is we do not have as strong as a herd as some states, although it is not in any real danger right now. i think New hampshire may be a little behind the times with QDM, but is trying to move forward and improve the herd and produce more good quality deer. that is why it is required we check our deer so that fish and game know what kind of numbers and the sizes/types of deer are taken each season. on the other hand there is no drawing for deer tags here, you simply buy your hunting license and it comes with a deer firearms tag good for one deer ( firearm can only take does on the first day of the season and only in certain WMU's. other then that firearms is buck only with one 3 inch spike.the same holds true for muzzleloader season as well. Archery on the other hand is buck only from sept. 15- 30 and any deer from oct.1- dec.15 th... witch is why next year i will have my archery tag so that I can fill my freezer and still donate to the local food pantry....
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:35 am

We have a few here in NW Florida, some of the Managment land requires you to check in deer. They take the sex, weight, cutout lowerjaw for there deer studies on certain properties..

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 am

Kentucky has been on Telecheck for a decade or so.   You call an 800 number and you punch you info into an automated system.  The system gives you a check number, and you have to enter it into a log.   

I love Telecheck.  I used to have a heck of a time checking in a deer in Ohio.  One day, I had to drive three places to get one checked in. 

The nice thing about Telecheck, besides its ease, is that they publish a review of what's been checked in. The KYDFWR gets a lot of tips from guys who see their neighbor with a big buck and then see a doe reported into Telecheck.  It helps police the system.  It has garnered quite a bit of criticism.  Some folks say it is now easier to cheat.  I say if the guy was going to cheat by not checking in a deer before, he's just as likely to now. 

Others say it detracts from the experience of hanging out at the check station.  I think folks are missing the point.  If the check station is gone, that is no reason not to do away with the fun.  Counties should organize deer contests, deer festivals, etc. to draw the folks back in. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

jbekes

Postby jbekes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 am

Sound like Missouri is the same as Kentucky, we have had the telecheck for a while now also.  It caught the same flaque here.  People were worried about people cheating more but if they are going to cheat they are going to do it no matter what. 

I miss the check stations just because you could ask and find out if anything with size has been killed around you, but the convinance out weights that big time.  I can kill a deer, clean it, call it in, and get back in the woods, I don't have to drive all over checking a deer in.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 am

I have a ??? for you sam. I take it your from Ontario Canada? If so here is my ? Is it true that A US Citizen can't hunt their own property up their in Canada with out hiring a Canadian Guid? If so can you explain why if you know!
ORIGINAL: Sam Menard

From what I gather by reading these threads, it appears that many jurisdictions have mandatory check stations. I'm curious to know how many states/provinces mandate that hunters must check their deer.

In Ontario there are few check stations anymore, and it is not mandatory to report your kill. The MNR (DNR) mails surveys to all draw tag holders, but hunters are not compelled to reply. Success rates and population numbers are estimated and pro-rated based on the survey results.

What about where you hunt/live?

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am

Minnesota first time for telecheck. not sure what i think of it yet.

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm

here in nj we have a mandatory deer check there are multiple locations in almost all of the counties they really enforce the tagging requirements failure to comply will cost you money hank k

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:45 am

North Carolina has used 1-800-I GOT ONE for several years now, though most license selling agents can still check deer in as well.

I found that my cellphone battery was dead and ended up going to a local check station to record one of my kills from earlier this year.

I used to work in a sports shop in the mid-1980s when all big game animals had to be checked at a station. That didn't stop people from trying to check in rifle-shot deer during archery season as a bow kill. I found that after squirrel season started there were a few guys who'd shoot deer with a .22 and then stick an arrow in the hole and break it off to make it look like the deer was the one who broke it. You could feel around the entry wound for tissue shock that just wouldn't be there from an arrow. Game Wardens came by to pick up tag books often and would sometimes go look at deer that had supposedly been arrowed. The phone check in makes poaching more possible these days.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Best Practices