Scent Killer

USN_Sam1385

RE: Scent Killer

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:42 am

My friend and I decided that those sprays are essentially just water in a bottle. We have tasted it several times (by accident), gotten it in our eyes, and smelled it, and the odorless stuff appears to simply be water. Wouldn't that be a racket if they have been bottling water this whole time and selling it as scent away spray.

I know they tell you to hang a stand right before it rains because the water washes away all the scent, and taking a shower gets rid of scent... hmmmm.

However, I do really like the fresh earth scent wafers. Had a lot of luck with them, and can re-use them for years.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 am

I used to use unscented sprays and it varied on which brands.  Now, however, I've been thinking about how much money I might be wasting on this stuff.  I've just been careful in the past not to expose my clothing and hunting equipment to any unusual "nonwoods" odors, wash and dry them without chemicals, and leave them outside during hunts.  I've tried the spray's but kinda determined it probably was an unnecessary step if I continued to do the same things I've been doing.  I've harvested big bucks without sprays in the past, no reason I can't now with some attention to details.  I do try to hang stands well before the season, so it sees rain to wash away any of my left over odors.  I don't know a lot of this stuff is probably wool being pulled over hunter's eyes.  Including my scentlok suit, but I must say I get winded much less of deer downwind since I purchased on a few years back.  But, I shower with unscented soap and what not too before each hunting outing, so really not sure.  I'll be extra careful when ground hunting or putting on a stalk. 

However, during rifle season I do not wear scent reducing suit, hunt in a ground shack a majority of the time, have oil on my gun, use a propane heater, have been known to have a dip and fart in my stand too.  LOL!!!:)  I do hunt the right wind though for each stand and that's helped more than anything I think.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:54 pm

I been experimenting with different scent free washing solutions, sprays, cover scents. I can tell you now I just wash my stuff in a bucket of fresh water with baking soda and dry them on the clothes line after a few months of my personal trials with all that stuff. I will never put my hunting clothes into a washing machine or dryer ever again. Even if you use that scent free detergent, laundry soap, those dirt smelling dryer sheets, the smell of regular good smelling detergents and soaps found its way into my clothes and its a pain in the ass to rid your clothes of it. Even if the tag on the clothes says to throw your scent free garments into a dryer to "re-activate" the carbon, dont believe it, thats a good way to ruin your clothes and possibly ruin your hunt. I did that at first and my clothes came out with a faint smell of bounce fabric softener embedded into the fabric for awhile I could not get the smell to dissipate even with sprays and dirt smelling dryer sheets, and I was pissed. So I doused my clothes in a bucket of water and an entire box of baking soda and that did the trick.
I dont know what to think of the sprays. I used Scent Away and Scent Killer and I couldn't tell you if it works or not. I do use those fresh earth scent wafers and I have had deer walk by my stand and they didnt seem to mind the smell.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Unscented. Why would you want to put scent on yourself when you are trying to reduce it?
Ducks

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Its impossible to be completely scent free. I climb some monster hills to get to good hunting ground and I perspire a little bit in the process. I figured if Im gonna stink, might as well smell like a heaping pile of fresh dirt and I believe it is working to a certain limit.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:11 pm

right now i am using scent free spray... but i am also using fresh earth dryer sheets, mostly because my wife was being nice and bought me the scent elimination kit at wall world... wich i coincidentally noticed that all the pieces that come in the kit for 21 dollars, are the same exact ones that they sell individually.. for example the soap costs like 5 bucks by itself, the laundry soap is 11, the dryer sheets are another 6 bucks i think , the garment bag is another 5 or 6 bucks... i figured it all ot the other day and the same kit that costs 21 together will cost around 40 dollars if you had to buy them seperate... quite a savings... on the flip side if you were to make your own it cost about 6-7 bucks to make a big batch , and you have more then enough for you and all your hunting buddies, ( that is just the spray, other then that any scent free soap for the shower, and scent free detergent for the clothes, and you are all set...my biggest thing i do is shower with the scent free soap, and then wait to change into my scent free clothes until we are ready to go in the woods, and try not to sweat so much
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

cmarberg18

Re: Scent Killer

Postby cmarberg18 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:33 pm

The key for using the dryer is to take some time before you throw your clothes in to dry. I take some DDW spray, spray the inside of the drum and then turn it on high for a minute or so till it dries. Then ill open it back up and spray it down again. After that I take the lint trap out, clean it, and spray that and the track it comes from down. Last thing I do is throw a "hunting" (doesn't matter what brand) dryer sheet in, once again I prefer DDW, and let that roll around for a few minutes. Clothes have never smelled like my wife's laundry detergent and I have never been busted in the field smelling "April fresh".

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I dunno....I think Scent-"KILLER" is too harsh. It should be called scent-harvester, like the PC word for what us hunters do with deer nowadays.......

"Hey Bill, did you harvest your scent today before you took to the woods?"

"Yeah, Joe, I "took" my scent with a new scent taker spray I heard about."

;) :lol:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Well think about it woodsy, we only use scent killer during the season, therefore it HAS a season, then it follows that if it has a season, it must be a game animal, not a varmit, so it must have a bag limit! So what is thew bag limit on scents? And when you hit it with scent killer, are you trying to drown it, or disolve it? Neither one seems very humane, and the anti-s might go on the warpath about that! After all, they accually beleived that cattle crossing guards could be retrained for other jobs!!...............(there really needs to be a sarcasm fount!)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators