Rifles in Ohio?

OHIOCE

Rifles in Ohio?

Postby OHIOCE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 am

Has anyone else heard that Ohio is going to allow rifle cartridges that are not tapered? 45-70 is best example I know of.
Television............Decreasing our intelligence, health, and productivity one show at a time.

CONLEY14

RE: Rifles in Ohio?

Postby CONLEY14 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 am

NO, RIFLES HAVE NO PLACE IN OHIO AND I HOPE THEY NEVER ALLOW THEM.

OHIOCE

Postby OHIOCE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:58 pm

I don't care either way, I can shoot 100yrds with my slug gun and that is more than I need.  I have heard about the rifles from two different people though.
Television............Decreasing our intelligence, health, and productivity one show at a time.

bearcreek

Postby bearcreek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I just started a thread on this very subject. I didn't see you're thread. I was saying in the other thread that it doesn't make sense that we're allowed to use a 45/70 pistol, for example, but not a .44 mag rifle, just because it has a shoulder stock. For those who object to the rifle idea, could you please explain why a 45/70 pistol with a 14 in barrel is less dangerous than a .44 mag single shot rifle?

eagle1953

Postby eagle1953 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:49 am

I hunt with a .44 mag revolver with a 8 3/8 barrel , a .44 rifle wiil not shoot much farther. and not much more than a shotgun. Even a 30-30 don`t shoot much farther than a shotgun. The new sabots we use today will reach out to 200 yards even in muzzleloaders and I have seen the mag. bp guns shoot 300 yards.
I don`t kill innocet animals, just the ones that look guilty.

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 am

it sure is funny.....here in Southeast WIS it was shotgun only for the longest time.......WHICH IT STILL SHOULD BE.......but NOW that dnr is worried about CWD.......the land is now safe enough to use RIFLES.....WHAT A CROCK......there is some public hunting lands close to 4 lane hwy's and others by sub divisions.......the dnr is always preaching SAFETY FIRST......I don't get it????
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 pm

You're probably not going to like what I'm going to say but it's based partly on personal experience and partly on research that I read in a published magazine.
New York changed several of its' hunting laws within the last decade, two of the formost being a Saturday firearms opener as opposed to the traditional Monday it had been since 1939 and allowing rifles in several counties along the NY - PA border that had been shotgun/pistol/ML only.  Public outcry ensued and I read that the woods would run red with hunters blood.  It didn't happen.  Now, instead of hearing strings of rapidly fired shots from pumps and semi-auto shotguns, I hear 1 or sometimes 2 shots.  It is unusual to hear more than 2 shots from the same gun and almost everyone is using a bolt action with a scope.
I have also read published research which states that as far as brush busting(not something I personally participate in), heavier shotgun slugs travel farther than the lighter weight rifle rounds which are deflective to the ground quicker.  There was a disclaimer stating that if shot in an unbroken line(not coming into contact with anything like across a field) that the quicker rifle round would travel farther.  But realistically, most of us hunt from an elevated position in woods or semi-open areas so the chance of a deflection if the deer is missed is significant.
New York did not have any increase in hunter related shootings and in fact I think it decreased for several of the years.

CB

buckhunter85

Postby buckhunter85 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:42 pm

why not use pistol cal rifles people with muzzleloader sshoot father than a pistol cal rifle and a good single shot pistol cal rifle is much cheaper than a muzzleloader some day odnr will get with it

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:00 am

as a life long new yorker who's county went to rifle 7 years ago i can tell you i can't see that it was a good thing hunters went to hunting over open feilds and taking shots that they shouldn't be as far as safety n.y had the worst deer season gun shooting mishaps last season than it's had in the last 10 years . in defense of rifles i will say that a lot of the boarder counties have in the last two years have open bear season and when hunting bears i think i would much rather have a rifle then a shotgun[:)]wayne

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 pm

In the Buckeye state, we have to many dummies out there using shotguns as it is and don't really know how to use it. Now rifles!! NO WAY!! God save the buckeye state.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Next

Return to Ohio