what type of gun is best for a child?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
newby

what type of gun is best for a child?

Postby newby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:26 pm

[size="3"]We are thinking about buying our son his first gun for Christmas.  He is 14 (big for his age) and it would be used for hunting deer.  We were thinking of a shot gun or 30-06.  Any suggestions?  We don't want to spend a whole lot since he won't get to use it very often.  Also, is it better to buy a new gun or a higher quality gun that's used?[/size]

blueeyeddragon76

RE: what type of gun is best for a child?

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:30 pm

at 14 he is big enough to shoot either the 30-06 or the shotgun, although the 30-06 will give a longer range, the shotgun would allow him to use it for turkey, and duck seasons as well.... as far as new versus used, that is a personal preference as there are many lower cost quality firearms on the market right now, but if you keep your eyes out you can find a heck of a deal on a used gun... that's up to you
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Newby
If your son has not shot guns much 30-06 or 12gauge could be on the large side.
243cal rifle or 410 shotgun may be a better choice.HR makes a single shot combo that allows the user to switch barrels.
this helps in teaching good habits, such as not rushing the shot and building confidence so they don't develope a flinch from a gun that kicks too much. they also have a low price tag. remember the gun needs to fit the shooter, both size and experience.

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:22 pm

mnslayer has a good point but I think he has taken it a little too far.

Rifles: A 30.06 will kick a beginner a lot. Is he a tough kid? How does he react when he falls of his bike or in sports if he plays them. If any contact is cause for tears the .06 is going to be too much. While I would be fine with a .243 for a younger kid a bigger kid like yours can handle something larger. I would go with a 7mm-08. Like the .243 it is based on the .308 and with bullets heavier than the .243 is good for any deer you will come across. Same goes for .308 for that matter but I just have a warm fuzzy for the 7mm-08. I';ve got no problem with the .243 but if you can handle something large I would go for it. The Savage Stevens or Marlin XS7 can be had new for around 300 bucks. Many used bolt action rifles can be had for the same. And don't forget good old .30/30.

Shotguns: IMHO a .410 does more harm than good for a beginner. Very small amounts of shot make hitting birds hard and the slugs are well below what most consider the minimum energy requirements for deer. I would expect that a big 14 year old could handle a 12 ga shotgun just fine. With light loads they don't kick anymore more than a 20 ga. With heavier loads they can do anything a shotgun is supposed to do. I have little experience with slugs but what I have tells me they kick. I shot a couple of 2 3/4" 20 gauge slugs though my 870 and can say it was not enjoyable. A 12 gauge would be less so but will be very effective on deer out to 100 yards or so. If I could only have one gun for all my hunting needs it would be a Remington 870 12 ga. Affordable, and dead reliable. In a pinch it can double as a boat oar and still function perfectly.

You never said what he was going to hunt. If it will be only deer a rifle is an option. If he is going to hunt anything else, he needs a shotgun.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 am

I would consider something like the HR/NEF (or whatever name they currently go under), single shot, switchable barrel in .243 and .20 guage. The shotgun barrel can be used for birds, and upland game, whiile the .243 would be an excellent deer rifle. If it is to be used only for deer, you might want to consider a rifled barrel for the .20 guage, and let him shoot both (the .243 and the .20) to see which he is most comfortable with, as well as accuracy, range, kick, etc. Just try to avoid too much gun for a young shooter. He can always grow into something more powerful such as the 30.06. One word of caution about the switchable barrel .243/.20 guage, my son has one and loves it, but when target shooting, the .243 starts getting pretty erractic after several shots and the barrel warms up. Of course, as I frequently remind him. knock it down with the first shot, and fill the freezer.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Try this on for size:

So You Want a New Yute Rifle, Huh?

Bottom line:  30-06 is probably fine for your yute, if he can fit the stock.  Angus took his buck this year with a Savage 110. He's 12. I put a youth stock on it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Hey newby it must be a very small world since Patriot, buckhunter21 and I were talking about the samething during lunch today for his son.

I would think that a 410 might be a little too small for him but a 20 guage might be OK. Depends on the size of your son and how comfortable handling guns he is. As for rifles I would say that a lot depends on the manufacturer as well as the caliber. If you put a I don't think my 7mm WSM kicks very much. I know Field and Stream did an article a while back about guns and how much they kick.

This is completely obvious statement but I would say the most important aspect with a rifle and scope would be to make sure that he holds the rifle tight against his shoulder so he doesn't get the old scope circle mark on his eyebrow or nose. It can definitely cause some flinching if this happens. I know from personal experience.[:D] I am not sure where you are from but in MN the DNR has confiscated weapon auctions in the spring and fall of the year and you could find a REALLY good deal there if you know what you are looking for and how much it is worth.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:43 pm

I started my son out with a youth Remington 870 20ga. deer model with a rifled barrel.  Will take a deer down no problem. I do know Mossberg makes a decent youth gun (I  think the Bantam) that allows for adjustment to the stock as the boy grows. It also can be purchased with other barrels for birds at very reasonable prices.  My son was not comfortable with 12 Ga until age 17.

newby

Postby newby » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for all your responses!  I have been looking around the past couple of days.  Right now I am leaning toward a Savage 111 30.06 (includes scope).  Dick's has it on sale for $350.  They also have a single shot CVA 30.06 for only $199 I am considering (no scope).  

To answer your questions, he is not a wimpy kid at all.  He's a football player who is always proud of his bumps and bruises.  Last time he was at the doctor, he was 5'11" and 230 lbs. 

We have not decided on a 30.06 for sure, they are just at the top of our list right now.  After reading your responses I may rethink that.  We are debating on buying something now or waiting and letting him try out my brothers 2 shot guns (he has a 12 and a 20 gauge) and 30.06 over Thanksgiving and seeing what he likes.  Although I hate to miss that good sale at Dicks. 

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:36 pm

5'-11" and 230, cripes I was thinking that he was smaller than that. You son is almost bigger than me 6'-2" 210[:D]. I would take him out with your other 2 sons 12 and 20 gauge shotguns and the 30-06 and see what he thinks. With a 30-06 I am fairly certain that there are tons of different bullet grain weights that would vary the recoil force.

Good luck.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo