3 bucks within an hour!

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
1Morgan

RE: 3 bucks within an hour!

Postby 1Morgan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:43 pm

ORIGINAL: eberhaar863828

So that leads me to my last question.

How many bucks a season is enough?
  My answer is one. Use the tag you were given and no more.

What do all you guys think?

I have killed 3 bucks and a doe this season. I am going to kill more. There are no buck tags here in South Carolina, there is no limit on antlered bucks in my game zone, there are no check stations or telecheck, the season runs from Aug 15th through Jan 1st, and I can use a rifle the entire 5 months on private lands. I can legally kill every buck I see for 5 months. South Carolina Game Zone 6.

If three bucks like that walk out within an hour with all the shooting and happy times, there just might be an overpopulation of deer.
South Carolina Low Country

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Some great points made and still a great thread. I'll bet some of us are closer to agreeing on this than one would think. I've been on the T&TH forum since it's inception and there's a perennial debate over there that parallels this one-

What some would call "elitists" or "purists" think the only ethical way to harvest a turkey is to call one in. Those that use decoys, pop up blinds or any form of ambush are termed cheaters or unethical. I'm squarely on the side of pro choice and believe folks should be able to hunt turkeys any way they want as long as it's legal. It's hard enough as it is without applying restrictions.

I believe folks should also be able to hunt deer as they want as long as it's legal. I'm sure this debate has been waged here long before I arrived and as Woods Walker confessed, he has a bitter taste in his mouth over it.

What I take exception to is this-

> How could ANYONE but an antler Nazi, begrudge any hunter, especially a young first timer, with a once in a lifetime occurance like this young lady had? <

That's an "emotional term" if I've ever heard one. Most of those that posted didn't crucify the young hunter, they merely indicated that they probably wouldn't have done the same or instructed their child to do it.  No one deserves to be called a name or be corralled into a group because they posted their opinion. I've been here less than a week and it's already happened to me.

We went through a tough stretch at T&TH where many new forum members were run off by a small group of purists who had "a bad taste in their mouths," a lot of hostility and made thoughtless posts that bordered pointed attacks.. I hope to be able to contribute here without being called names or herded into some group that existed before I arrived. Please give that some thought. Thanks.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it."
Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:00 pm

If our Conservation Departments are doing what we pay them to do (not always the case) and if hunters are following the regulations set by them, I have no real issue. I'm not saying that everything under the protection of the game laws is necessarily right. I'm just saying that in most cases, I am too far removed to be a fair judge.

Herd dynamics are local in nature. All too often we judge other hunters' actions as if they are hunting on the same place we hunt on. For example, the SC game laws described by 1Morgan seem a bit too liberal to me. But I've never been to SC in my life, so what do I know about it? Another example would be that I have posted 6 doe harvest photos so far this year. A hunter in Maine might look at that and consider me to be irresponsible or bloodthirsty. However, given what I know about the properties these does have come from, I think it would be immoral not to shoot does. To be honest, I feel a little bad I have not killed more.

I think we should educate one another and encourage each other to closely monitor the deer where we hunt. But once a hunter has done just that, we should encourage them within the limits of the local game laws.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:16 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Some great points made and still a great thread. I'll bet some of us are closer to agreeing on this than one would think. I've been on the T&TH forum since it's inception and there's a perennial debate over there that parallels this one-

What some would call "elitists" or "purists" think the only ethical way to harvest a turkey is to call one in. Those that use decoys, pop up blinds or any form of ambush are termed cheaters or unethical. I'm squarely on the side of pro choice and believe folks should be able to hunt turkeys any way they want as long as it's legal. It's hard enough as it is without applying restrictions.

I believe folks should also be able to hunt deer as they want as long as it's legal. I'm sure this debate has been waged here long before I arrived and as Woods Walker confessed, he has a bitter taste in his mouth over it.

> How could ANYONE but an antler Nazi, begrudge any hunter, especially a young first timer, with a once in a lifetime occurance like this young lady had? <

That's an "emotional term" if I've ever heard one. Most of those that posted didn't crucify the young hunter, they merely indicated that they probably wouldn't have done the same or instructed their child to do it.  No one deserves to be called a name or be corralled into a group because they posted their opinion. I've been here less than a week and it's already happened to me.

We went through a tough stretch at T&TH where many new forum members were run off by a small group of purists who had "a bad taste in their mouths," a lot of hostility and made thoughtless posts that bordered pointed attacks.. I hope to be able to contribute here without being called names or herded into some group that existed before I arrived. Please give that some thought. Thanks.

Excellent post Fan Club! Good to see you here, by the way.

All in all, we are a pretty civil bunch around here. There is, however, a short list of topics that do seem to bring out the fangs in some us us. I will attempt to list them, in order to assist you in your travels here.

-QDM
-Crossbows
-Shooting fawns
-Hunting with dogs
-High fences
-Baiting
-Food plots
-Antler restrictions
-Scent control products
-UV blocking products
-Ted Nugent
-Adds with big boobs
-Rut predictions
-Non-resident hunters
-Bottling your own urine
-Taking tasteful photographs
-Mechanical broadheads
-Hunting shows/DVDs
-Gun control
-Immigration
-Wolves
-CWD
-Apologizing for the deer we shoot
-College football
-Cell phone/electronics usage

Ah yeah, I think that's about it. Stay clear of these topics and you'll be fine.

Seriously, it's good to have you. Keep the intelligent comments coming!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:26 pm

JPH's list reminded me that I can also bait.

The other game zones are different, mine is the most liberal. By the time you get to game zone 1 it's like hunting in another state because the laws are so strict. 2 buck limits, no baiting, different weapon seasons. There are just a bunch of deer here.
South Carolina Low Country

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:02 pm

That's an "emotional term" if I've ever heard one. Most of those that posted didn't crucify the young hunter, they merely indicated that they probably wouldn't have done the same or instructed their child to do it. No one deserves to be called a name or be corralled into a group because they posted their opinion. I've been here less than a week and it's already happened to me.

It got your attention though, didn't it? [:D]

And I wasn't specifically refering to YOU either. Fact is, I HAVE dealt with people who wear this appellation to a "T", and "Nazi" or "facist" is the most accurate way to describe them. This one place I bowhunt has an Antler Nazi that owns the adjoining ground, and not only does he grieve when one of us lowlifes shoot one of "HIS" deer, but he also told our landowner that he doesns't want to see any of our treestands within ONE HUNDRED YARDS of his boundary! If you do hit a deer and it does go on his ground, he will only let you go after it (with him) if there is profuse blood and you can find it within 100 yards or less. What a real sport......[:'(]

IMO, people with this mindset are ruining hunting for all of us.

And BTW, welcome to the forum!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

extrmhntr

Postby extrmhntr » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:14 pm

One thing i have to say is how you would have felt if you were a young hunter, had made a kill, completely excited about it, only to get online and read people on here bashing what you had just done? How many people know a 16 year old kid that can do more things with internet and a computer then all of us combined? There is a high probability that she or someone she knows will come across this and read it and for the people that dislike it you just posted something that could pose a serious blow to a young girls hunting career. And personally if it was legal i'd give any of my tags to young hunter if they wanted it. And for the fact of the matter how many people have ever watch someone do something once and gone, "wow, luck", and the second time they do it again you go, "holy cow that was sweet" and then the third chance shows itself and you go, "bet ya can do it 3 times in a row". She just did something that most will never do but the fact that it was legal i can't bash it. Shoot it ain't my land and i will never hunt that land or anywhere near it most likely so even if i was against it i wouldn't complain too much.

I give this young lady props. My nerves on the first one would have been out the roof so much the second shot wouldn't have been easy and the third would have been about a fleeting hope. Well done and i hope she goes out and has the best of luck on the rest of the season

Chamooska

Postby Chamooska » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Really.........It is a once in a lifetime event. To have three bucks of that caliber come around in that little amount of time during a wisconsin gun season is really impressive. Everything seemed to be done legit so be it. I know there are thousands of Wi hunters that would of loved to even seen any one of those bucks during the opener, let alone shoot one. No one in our troop would have done it but everyone who pays for the tag has the right to do so. Very cool

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 pm

When I hunted the Iowa group firearms season in my teen years I shot a whopping 9 deer!!

Congrats to the young huntress...

All those dead bucks made some people jealouse!!

[;)]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:14 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

That's an "emotional term" if I've ever heard one. Most of those that posted didn't crucify the young hunter, they merely indicated that they probably wouldn't have done the same or instructed their child to do it. No one deserves to be called a name or be corralled into a group because they posted their opinion. I've been here less than a week and it's already happened to me.

It got your attention though, didn't it? [:D]

WW, wasn't that the same argument some people used to defend the flat tire add?

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News