Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
nhdeerchaser

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:39 pm

This is for the guys that like to sit on the ground, but get cold, stiff, or otherwise miserable.
I recently purchased a Cabelas gobblelounger, and I gotta tell you, if you like to hunt from the ground this is the way to do it. It gets your butt off that cold, hard ground, is lightweight, and has it's own carrying strap.
I got the idea while hunting turkeys a couple of weeks ago. I was watching a field and was sitting in my lounger with a small half blind in front. I had a doe walk within 8 feet of me, and because I was so comfortable, and not fidgeting, she just walked right by.
The seat brings your knees into a perfect position, so you don't get that tingling, numb leg syndrome.
For the guys who like to hunt from the ground, the gobblelounger is the ticket!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

ChuckNorris

Postby ChuckNorris » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:14 pm

ORIGINAL: nhdeerchaser

This is for the guys that like to sit on the ground, but get cold, stiff, or otherwise miserable.
I recently purchased a Cabelas gobblelounger, and I gotta tell you, if you like to hunt from the ground this is the way to do it. It gets your butt off that cold, hard ground, is lightweight, and has it's own carrying strap.
I got the idea while hunting turkeys a couple of weeks ago. I was watching a field and was sitting in my lounger with a small half blind in front. I had a doe walk within 8 feet of me, and because I was so comfortable, and not fidgeting, she just walked right by.
The seat brings your knees into a perfect position, so you don't get that tingling, numb leg syndrome.
For the guys who like to hunt from the ground, the gobblelounger is the ticket!

Mike

I have used this chair for a couple years now and also highly recommend it. It is extremely comfortable. I like how it is low the ground which allows me to see under the lower branches in the thick woods that I hunt. And because it is low to the ground, when I bend my knees they instantly become a perfect shooting rest. I have had many eye to eye encounters with deer while sitting in this chair because I can remain virtually motionless for long periods of time. I have also been know to get a short nap in here and there.
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am

I recently purchased a Cabelas gobblelounger, and I gotta tell you, if you like to hunt from the ground this is the way to do it. It gets your butt off that cold, hard ground, is lightweight, and has it's own carrying strap. ...

Thanks, Mike. Can you shoot a bow from it?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:30 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I recently purchased a Cabelas gobblelounger, and I gotta tell you, if you like to hunt from the ground this is the way to do it. It gets your butt off that cold, hard ground, is lightweight, and has it's own carrying strap. ...

Thanks, Mike. Can you shoot a bow from it?

Steve
Not really Steve. The back of the chair hampers pulling back a bow, and the chair keeps you center of gravity quite low, putting alot of strain on you arms to pull the bow back, without allowing you to gain much leverage.
On a side note, if you purchase one, it will be the finest addition you will have to your spring/fall turkey hunting arsonal!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

tonyotony

Postby tonyotony » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 pm

WW and anyone else out there. I really enjoy the challenge of hunting on the ground with a ghillie suit on. I've read the posts regarding scent control, but my question now is: how do I control the scent on my ghillie suit, given that I cannot put it in a washing machine, nor get it soaking wet, without having several days to dry it out. Sometimes hunt 2 or 3 days in a row. Spray it? Should I get a second suit?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:21 pm

ORIGINAL: tonyotony

WW and anyone else out there. I really enjoy the challenge of hunting on the ground with a ghillie suit on. I've read the posts regarding scent control, but my question now is: how do I control the scent on my ghillie suit, given that I cannot put it in a washing machine, nor get it soaking wet, without having several days to dry it out. Sometimes hunt 2 or 3 days in a row. Spray it? Should I get a second suit?

Just let the suit hang outside as much as possible, and I also store mine in a Rubbermaid tub that has a cachet bag of dried leaves in it. It doesn't completely eliminate the odor, but in my experience it doesn't seem to bother the deer much at all. Just play the wind as much as possible, and mind your thermals.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:53 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: tonyotony

Just let the suit hang outside as much as possible, and I also store mine in a Rubbermaid tub that has a cachet bag of dried leaves in it. It doesn't completely eliminate the odor, but in my experience it doesn't seem to bother the deer much at all. Just play the wind as much as possible, and mind your thermals.

Can you elaborate on 'thermals'? I do not have a full grasp of how they work. I assume "warm air rises" would be the common sense approach. Does that mean that being in the bottom of a valley between two ridges would be bad during the morning?? If you could break it down for me that would be awesome. Thanks WW

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:08 am

Thermals are how the warming and cooling of the air by the rising and setting of the sun affect your hunting. They are pretty much a concern on calm days, as when there's any real wind they are a non-factor.

That would mean that in the morning as the sun rose and warmed the air, that air would rise. In this case you would want to be higher up on the hillside. In the afternoon it would be reversed.

HOWEVER.......

If you get to you stand well before daylight, and it's a damp night, your scent may actually still travel DOWN the slope and pool in the valley before rising as the sun came up and warmed the air. The same thing can happen in the afternoon if you get to your stand while the afternoon air is still rising, and then it starts back down the hill as the sun sets and it cools the air. A lot of this depends on the terrain and other physical features of the particular area that you are hunting, along with the local wind and humidity levels. When I treestand hunted a lot, going into my stand real early was actually a handicap on some mornings, because my scent would pool at the bottom of the tree if the atmospheric conditions were right, and not rise and get above the deer until after the sun rose.

When I scout in the off season, I will use colored smoke bombs in various areas to learn how the thermals work in those areas. They can teach you a lot about what you thought you already knew had down pat.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Gdawg1958

Postby Gdawg1958 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:37 pm

How about hunting from the ground without a blind ? I have a couple of spots where its just to far in for a ladder stand and due to a motorcycle wreck several years ago I cant bend my right leg so I cant figure out how to use a climber. I know that there are some monster hosses in these areas but ground hunting seems to be my only option. Any avice on how I can get in close without a blind/stand etc. ?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Ghillie suit. If you sit where you have some background and you don't move, they will run you over!

Seriously, they work that well. The biggest problem you will have is deer maybe getting TOO close, and with the bow, drawing on a deer is a real challenge. With the firearm, they work so well they should be illegal![;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking