Using your antlers

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Robert Rowland

Using your antlers

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:02 pm

You probably all have read the articles about doing things with your antlers, like making a knife handle or something like that. Have any of you done anything really interesting? Unusual? How about some pictures. I have lots of antlers but have not found a good reason to cut them up or use them for anything other than rattling. I cant make anything that I would expect to put in the main floor of the house, it would get thrown down to the basement.  A lot of these antlers have been laying around for many years and it is time to do something with them, I just need some ideas.

GTOHunter

RE: Using your antlers

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:13 pm

I've seen chandeliers made out of antlers,Lamps,champane glass holders and have even seen coffee tables with glass tops and the antlers were scattered around underneath with some pine cones,drift wood and misc scenery!

Personally I use my antlers for rattling and was thinking about making a shelf with hangers to hang my antlers on...you could even lay your antlers on a mantle piece too?

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Those chandeliers are outrageously expensive if you buy them from Cabelas or Gander, so if you have any kind of artistic touch, that may be the thing to do with em.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

ive seen on ebay fishing poles out of old antlers....
all ya need is an old arrow the deer antler and line.. cut the antler down a lil bit id say a 1/2" and then drill a hole to fit the arrow into the antler. glue the arrow into the hole of the antler. then take  and cut the 1/2" part in half so you have a 1/4" peice.. take the 1/4" part and drill a hole in it for line, glue that one half way up. then take the 2nd 1/4" and drill a hole in it so line can go out of it as well adn put it at the tip. throw the line on and you got a pole made out a arrow and a deer antler.. youll see more on ebay during fishing season.. dono if any are on there right now.. but they look neat
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:25 am

The chandeliers do look nice, I think a large room with a tall ceiling make them even more special.

I have seen the coffee table's too they are very nice.

I just thought of something for the kitchen (if you can keep it from being thrown in the basement of course LOL): how about a wine rack?

Nothing says class in a kitchen like a deer horn wine rack. j/k

But seriously, I think a 6 or 8 bottle wine rack could be done tastefully, artfully, and creatively to really accent the kitchen counter nicely. OH, how about a pot/pan holder from the ceiling in the kitchen?

My last option would of course (I think) be the best; you should probably offer me your woods so you would no longer have this dilemma of excess horns lying around....let me know on that one.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I will try a fishing pole and the wine rack. If the wine rack is rejected by the chef, then maybe I'll donate it to the school auction.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:35 pm

they can be cut up and used as drawer,door handles,knife too
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 pm

show us some pics when ya get it all done, its gonna be neat seeing what the finished project looks like.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:59 am

check your local laws before you go cutting or buying any antlers that you cannot prove was a shed antler or from a legally harvested antler.  I was told in Ohio it was illegal to cut antlers and use them in crafts.  I never really looked into it much more than that.

Return to General Discussions