2010-IL Whitetail Rut hunting report.

EatDeer

2010-IL Whitetail Rut hunting report.

Postby EatDeer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:05 am

I went bow hunting deer a few days before youth gun season.  I saw a few young bucks searching for  pre-rut doe....

I made a few mock scrapes, put some pre-rut doe urine in them.  I made another mock and added dominate buck urine. 

If anyone else has seen IL. rutting activity let us know here!! 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

RE: 2010-IL Whitetail Rut hunting report.

Postby EatDeer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:05 am

I've been seeing some bucks "seeking" over the last few hunts.  

This one young buck viewed. was curling his lower lip while trotting along in front of another slightly older buck!

I really like to see the bucks moving more, it won't be long and the "chase" phase will be hot!!

I'm thinking with colder temps, it's about time to try some light Antler rattling.

Good luck!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 am

By this date you should be seeing more deer chaseing each other around, get out there and see some deer!!

If you haven't bought a   "whitetail rut calendar"  you won't know when the rut phases are here, so get one ASAP!  

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:05 am

I was going to delete this thread, but since it's getting views, I'll go ahead and update everyone lurking.

I have been seeing plenty seeking, and the start of the chasing phase.  I think these older doe's are nearing the estrus cycle, the younger ones will follow soon.

Good time to sit all day if you have the fortitude!! 

Good luck!

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:49 pm

I have been seeing plenty seeking, and the start of the chasing phase. I think these older doe's are nearing the estrus cycle, the younger ones will follow soon.

Good time to sit all day if you have the fortitude!!

I was out for a few hours this morning and saw a nice 8+ pointer that didn't get any closer than 70 yards.  He hung around the small property for 15-20 minutes.  He was in no hurry so I guess you would classify him as seeking.

I'm going to try to stay out all day tomorrow.  It depends on how much I get done this afternoon [8D]

I will have to say I am not seeing much for signs.  Few & far between.  Nothing like 09 & 08.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:45 am

I was able to get out all day Saturday and saw a young buck in the AM & I think the same 8 pt I saw on Friday.  That's all I saw the entire day.

They both had their noses in the air & the big one checked out a few scrapes but didn't do anything with them. 

The big one did get within 39 yards this time.

With the temps warming up this week I wonder what that will do to movement during the day.  I won't be able to get out until the later part of the week & then rain is supposed to be coming in.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 am

When the IL. gun season rolls around, we should be seeing alot of hot rut activity.

Right now bucks are preparing for the rigors of the up coming breeding season. They should be back on feeding patterns for a while, but it won't last long.  With-in the next 2 weeks the rut will be heating up heavily for gun hunters.

By the time IL, gun season opens, the breeding phase will be in full swing, look to see lots of hot rut action this year!!

CGI Hunter

Postby CGI Hunter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:41 pm

I hunted the first week of November in Bluford, IL. and Rattled in a young maybe 2year old 8 pointer, I let him walk; I still haven't got a Buck yet since I started hunting but he just wasn't the one, hopefully I'm not setting my standards too high.
And then on the following day witnessed a Wide racked 8 pointer chasing off a does fawn, I would have taken that Buck but they never got closer then 50 yrds. So the seeking phase is happening or just starting , It's been slow until now, but seems the heat is keeping the daytime action to a minimum.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: CGI Hunter

I hunted the first week of November in Bluford, IL. and Rattled in a young maybe 2year old 8 pointer, I let him walk; I still haven't got a Buck yet since I started hunting but he just wasn't the one, hopefully I'm not setting my standards too high.
And then on the following day witnessed a Wide racked 8 pointer chasing off a does fawn, I would have taken that Buck but they never got closer then 50 yrds. So the seeking phase is happening or just starting , It's been slow until now, but seems the heat is keeping the daytime action to a minimum.

I've seen deer breeding already, maybe that buck was trying to check the doe fawn for estrus. 

The seeking phase of the rut is over here, chasing seems to be over as well, as mature deer are breeding already. 

Depending on your buck doe ratios, and hunting pressure, etc, you could be seeing more, or less rutting action. 

Return to Illinois