foodplots vs fair chase

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
EatDeer

RE: foodplots vs fair chase

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 am

HL, I have to disagree the B&C club is the reason that market hunting and poaching was outlawed in the 1800's,and the reason why bag limits were placed on whitetail deer in the 1900's. The clubs persuaded the states to impose proper game management, and the result is the populated herd of deer we hunt to this day. Just because one B&C club member made a bad exsample, dosn't make hunting over bait any better. CWD is great threat to the dimise of northern whitetail deer,and I have to agree with the B&C club not condoning hunts over bait. In IL. a food plot is not considered by law "bait",however hunting directly over a salt block placed by hunter for consumption by wild deer is illegal,and you can face fines up to 10,000 dollars and jail time. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 pm

Ranwin33, I disagree, since creating a food plot takes time and planing, which increases not olny usage but a good "hunt" plot should alllow for total coverage by the hunter. A well designed food plot not only attracts deer but draws them from neighboring properties

I have not baited in years since hunting over food plots actually works better, more natural and less maitnence

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:38 pm

I understand what you're saying about a hunting plot, and if I was a better shot with my bow I might agree with you.  But we've got some hunting plots that are 40 yards from one side to the other and that's 10 yards farther than I'm willing to shoot from a treestand.  We pretty much put them in where the land permitted since we didn't have anything other than a chainsaw and an ATV disk.  And they have to be that big or the deer here will graze them to the ground.

Using a gun we could cover all of our plots, but I really love hunting with my bow.

I'd still argue though that bait works better than a foodplot though.  If it didn't we wouldn't spend the money on it when we make our camera surveys.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:04 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Hunting over a food plot is no different than hunting over a field of beans or corn. It's not like your sitting over a pile of corn and deer co'cain, or a pile of apples.

Thank you very much.........
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

gard73

Postby gard73 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:53 pm

[font=arial][left]Found the actual definition of "FAIR CHASE". In my opinion as long as you are hunting legally you're good in my book. If you a poacher I hope bad things happen to you.[/left][left]I agree with the person who spot and stalks. Took my first deer on the ground with a bow last year. It was a yearling doe. But after haveing 5 does within 10 -15 yards for about 2-3 minutes it was incredibly. My heart was beaing harder then, than when I shot my buck a couple weeks later.[/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left]FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike,[/left][left]and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game[/left][left]animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such[/left][left]animals.[/left][left]Fundamental to all hunting is the concept of conservation of natural resources. Hunting[/left][left]in today's world involves the regulated harvest of individual animals in a manner that[/left][left]conserves, protects, and perpetuates the hunted population. The hunter engages in a[/left][left]one-to-one relationship with the quarry and his or her hunting should be guided by a[/left][left]hierarchy of ethics related to hunting, which includes the following tenets:[/left][left]1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.[/left][left]2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting occurs.[/left][left]3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on[/left][left]your abilities and sensibilities as a hunter.[/left][left]4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill as[/left][left]certain and quick as possible.[/left][left]5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to either the hunter,[/left][left]the hunted, or the environment.[/left][left]6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the[/left][left]hunter's experience of the relationship between predator and[/left][left]prey, which is one of the most fundamental relationships of[/left][left]humans and their environment.[/left][left]FOR THE PURPOSE OF ENTRY INTO THE BOONE AND CROCKETT CLUB'S®[/left][left]RECORDS, North American big game harvested by the use of the following methods or[/left][left]under the following conditions are ineligible:[/left][left]I. Spotting or herding game from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the[/left][left]purpose of pursuit and shooting;[/left][left]II. Herding or chasing with the aid of any motorized equipment;[/left][left]III. Use of electronic communication devices, artificial lighting, or electronic light[/left][left]intensifying devices;[/left][left]IV. Confined by artificial barriers, including escape-proof fenced enclosures;[/left][left]V. Transplanted for the purpose of commercial shooting;[/left][left]VI. By the use of traps or pharmaceuticals;[/left][left]VII. While swimming, helpless in deep snow, or helpless in any other natural or[/left][left]artificial medium;[/left][left]VIII. On another hunter's license;[/left][left]IX. Not in full compliance with the game laws or regulations of the federal[/left][left]government or of any state, province, territory, or tribal council on reservations[/left][left]or tribal lands;[/left][/font]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Congratulations on your deer.

I would say the sticking point for many people would be the phrase "in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals."

To me, hunting over bait would be an unfair advantage.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:50 am

A question I have and dont get all hissy is, if you are planting a specific area, with a preferd food inorder to attract deer to the area you hunt wouldn't that be like baiting?
I have no problem either way bait or plot just hunt and enjoy it...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 am

So I now plant many differant plots and they are towards the middle of my land...I don't hunt directly over them but around them...the 8pt and 5pt I took last year were 100-200 yrds from any plot....I do enjoy seeing more deer and healthier deer as well as: turkey...mink..porcupines...rabbits...hawks...songbirds...and grouse...fare chase...well I have 24 stands and over ten plots...I don't know whos walking where and they have alot of choices as to where they may want to go and times they visit....the wind decides what stands I go to ...so whats fare chase?...we have no fences..I choose relative safety until DEC starts doing their job and protects law abiding hunters and their rights to peace and safety on their own lands 
 The animals I hunt are'nt coming into a feed source at a specific time do to a timing device.....we..human/animal.... don't know what the other is going to do......I call this fare chase....but hey baiting is illegal here....what others do that is legal for them is theirs to choose 

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:49 pm

ORIGINAL: gutpile

if you are planting a specific area, with a preferd food inorder to attract deer to the area you hunt wouldn't that be like baiting?

I would say no, with my reason being the concentration of a bait pile vs. a food plot. Any food plot that would be as concentrated as a feeder or pile would be totally consumed proir to opening day. IMO, plots offer the deer far more oppertunities to avoid the hunter and they provide nutritional benifts to wildlife over a much longer time span.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:20 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: gutpile

if you are planting a specific area, with a preferd food inorder to attract deer to the area you hunt wouldn't that be like baiting?

I only wish I had your way of speaking, (writing), that communicated your point, without, apparently, creating misunderstandings in the process.

Regardless, well made and articulated point.

I would say no, with my reason being the concentration of a bait pile vs. a food plot. Any food plot that would be as concentrated as a feeder or pile would be totally consumed proir to opening day. IMO, plots offer the deer far more oppertunities to avoid the hunter and they provide nutritional benifts to wildlife over a much longer time span.

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management