My Excalibur Vixen II connects with some venison

Lscha

My Excalibur Vixen II connects with some venison

Postby Lscha » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:05 am

It was a perfect wind for my tree stand and at 5:10 PM this guy stopped 27 yards in front of my scope. He ran 50 yards and fell where I could see him. The tenderloin and Budweiser were exceptionally yummy last night!!
Earlier in the afternoon a nice 8 point (wallhanger for me) came up next to my tree stand and took his time making a scrape. This is a deer that my husband saw that morning in a different location but one that never showed up on my trailcams. When he finished with the scrape he started walking into my food plot. He stopped to eat at the edge (where I have no shot) and then started walking in. I had my bow in my sling, steadied and ready and watched through the scope as he approached the spot where I could take him. Waited......waited....I know he can hear me breathing.......he's just standing there. His head is behind pine branches and he can't see me but I can see his legs. Waiting......and then he turns around and goes right back the way he came. I'm elated! I'm deflated. I'm happy just to have seen him. Maybe he'll make it another year.

Then the big spike strolled in and stopped for a perfect shot at 27 yards. The Vixen II has plenty of punch as the arrow busted clean through a rib to take out both lungs. He never knew I was there. It turns out he is 2.5 years old and he was bigger than the 5 other deer that were at this place where I had him checked.

I had on my lucky MCF hat and lucky MCF hoodie and was wearing my lucky deer head necklace but I think what really brought me luck was the tennis shoes. Yeah, sneakers are probably the secret to success.
Laura
Vixen II
Ruger SBH Magnaport Stalker
Ruger .243
Baretta Silver Snipe
http://michigancrossbowfederation.org
http://www.crossbownation.com/forum2/

msbadger

RE: My Excalibur Vixen II connects with some venison

Postby msbadger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Congrats!...that is one big spike...Oh ...tennis shoes...my toes would drop off after a half hour...lol[;)][:D]

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Congrats Laura, great buck!!

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 am

Vixen is a great crossbow, congrats on your kill

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 am

Congrats on your buck, Laura. Good luck on the big buck the rest of the way.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Very nice deer! The neck on him looks pretty big
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Michigan