What Scents(Urines) to use this year?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sfryz

What Scents(Urines) to use this year?

Postby sfryz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 am

I am new to the mock scrape/deer urine usage and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. Based on what I have read, and the predictions for the rut this year, can somebody please help me with what scents I should use and when? I'm not looking for Brand A vs. Brand B. I am looking for things like: Use buck urine from this date to that date; doe urine from this date to that date; etc.

I know that this isn't an exact science. But from reading what Mr. Alsheimer has to say about the rut not really engaging until around Thanksgiving I am thinking that using estrus doe urines in Mid-November may be too soon? (Firearm season in Michigan is November 15th). This is based on what I have read. Again, I am new to this. I've read several articles and it's still not 100% clear to me. If someone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Steve

EatDeer

RE: What Scents(Urines) to use this year?

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 am

The key to using a mock scrape is not to expect too much from it, it's only one tool to hunt deer.

I use mock scrapes to introduce new deer scents to my deer hunting stand locations.

Usually the deer investigate the mock one or two nights before, then they repeatedly smell the area for new fresh sign, and in hopes of seeing the intruders.  Mostly noctunal deer, but every deer is different when it comes to how they react to the mock.

More deer in your stand area before light up and after dark only means more deer in your hunting area at the key times of hunting.  Then sooner or later  a deer will investigate the mock, and hopefully it's still light enough to shoot.

You just can't go wrong with a mock, and yes estrus urine is what you should be using by this time of the breeding season.

I like to spray dominate buck urine, then use a leaf to hold the doe's urine for a delayed reaction. Dosn't really need to be in leaf, it's just how I like to use scents in mocks. Combining the doe, and buck scents, create's a "active" scrape,  which really annoys a mature buck into checking the area alot, for a hot doe, and a intruder buck.

Even If you don't see the deer sign at the scrape, the deer know it's there.

As far as the expire dates...I think as long as the urine has the secretions from the hock and other sexual attactants, its good to use.  Just get the mock started and the deer should take over.

I also belive that thier are two kinds of scrapes deer use, a community scrape, with a well used licking branch, and a territoral scrape, which dosent always have the overhead licking branch.

So I don't bother with the licking branch much, other then spray a little urine on it from time to time.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Keep it simple, use your own. It will work as well if not better than any commerical urine you will buy, which by the time you get it, it's all urea anyway. The hormones that you have are the same as a buck's, and it's the hormones that are what they looking for when the smell a scrape.

If your wife or girlfriend (or both, if you're dumb enough) tag along then use theirs! They have the same hormones as a doe.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:06 pm

sfryz:

Before you spend money, I suggest you read this thread first, where we discussed this in detail. Then make up your own mind.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=24590

Best of luck to you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Best Practices