Observations on the rut in PA

danesdad

RE: Observations on the rut in PA

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Knowing nothing else, I'd try to be out ther November 8,9,10 in SW PA.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 am

southeast, pa.. young bucks are getting stupid !!

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Heavy activity 10/15 when it usually starts 10/6-8th. Club shot 3 bucks that week and none since. Temps seem to not matter where I hunt Cold no bucks, big buck pictures during warm days. I say late the last week of bow this year or later. I saw things late october last year that are not happening yet reguardless of temps.IMO

roughrider out

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:48 am

Hunted Oct 30 and saw a lot of deer activity. Pretty much young bucks cruising and running does around. Haven't heard or myself seen any of the big boys out yet though. Scrapes were everywhere and completly cleaned out. This weekend is looking great as I have Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to hunt from dark to dark and weather looks like it is going to get pretty cold. Deer should be up and moving. Hopefully I can get it done.
Andy

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Observations from friday and saturday, are the does are not in ...button bucks are still hanging with them ..though they are being a little pesky and should be kicked out this weeek,

friday morning had small buck cruze by 30 minutes before shooting - moon was to bright..

saw 10 deeer on friday night...several different sets of doe..8 in all and two buttons, they were with one mom

satuday morning was overcast and cold ...saw a nick buck, hung out for twenty minutes eating acorns, then left 5 minutes before i could shot..couldn't quite make out the points but out to its ears and at least an 8

saw smaller 8 at 10 am cruzing ( let him walk) and a spike buck.

saturday night had some more doe come by...let them walk hoping for a good buck...still was early for the big boys, this weekend should bring one by...cold..and rut..they should be moving as long as wind is not to bad and i can keep my butt in the stand

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:22 pm

I think from here on out its the luck of the draw now to get a good one cruising by. Depends on the does now, if you got a hot one it will get interesting quickly. Personally things are picking up big time for once and I'm on vacation next week.

roughrider out

roughrider 123

Postby roughrider 123 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am

2010 rut looks to be a week or more away, this morning saw a 6pt shadowing a doe, no chasing along with a spike feeding alone. I have yet to see bucks chasing does and have hunted all season. Corn is finally coming down this week, maybe the end of the week. Here is the guy I'm after.

He was seen hounding a doe yesterday morning and a club member has seen him at least once. I have him 3 times on camera.

roughrider out

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm

The past few days have been great for bow hunting. Saturday my buddie and I were on stands 400 yards from each other.. We saw deer from sun up to sun down. All buck were seeking between the hours of 10am and 3 pm. He took a nice 8 at 3pm. Monday hunting was a little different. every buck i saw appeared in the same time frame 10am-3pm but all were chasing does. Between 12.10pm and 12.30pm i saw four different buck.. I took out a management 7 point. case closed !

in all we saw 12-15 differnet buck in 1.5 days of hunting..

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:24 am

Hunted Nov 4th through the 6th and saw a bunch of deer. Only thing was no mature bucks. Just young bucks and does. Young bucks were pushing does around but they are not ready to breed. Looks like we might have a week or two until the rut really gets going this year, bad thing is archery season ends this Saturday the 13th. How about eveyone else, is anyone really seeing good rutting activity?
Andy

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:45 am

I was out in the stand all day yesterday, saw 9 deer from first light until around 0900 hrs.  I didn't see another deer until a small 8 point ran up behind me, caught my scent and went the other direction.  Not chasing any doe he was just moving through the area, probably checking for a hot doe.  Then at about 1645 hrs I saw the same group of 4 deer that I saw in the morning (2 mature doe and 2 button bucks).  5 more doe came out right at dark, nothing with horns chasing any of these big mature doe, not really sure what is up with the rut, it might be a week or so away still, or maybe it will fall somewhere around the next full moon phase???  With all those doe around me I thought for sure a buck would show up checking them out.

Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania