Brassica Toxicity "Ad"

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
kevjack6

Brassica Toxicity "Ad"

Postby kevjack6 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am

Has anybody seen the posting in the most recent D&DH that states bassicas are toxic to deer? The information I believe is meant to appear like a public service announcement or even one of the factory recalls you sometimes see. On the next page is a full page advertisement from the same company marketing their product. I am utterly disgusted with any scare tactic a company might use to market their products. If you can't sell your offering by touting the features and benefits, you need a different product.

At the end of this post there is a link to a thread that discusses this toxicity myth. I like to try many different products in my food plot strategies. This company has lost a chance to sell me, or anybody I come in contact with, a single seed.

Here is the post: http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthre ... er=1871748

DBogie59

RE: Brassica Toxicity "Ad"

Postby DBogie59 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:54 pm

I saw the same ad. It made me wonder, but I have farmed and had gardens and the deer always semed to like my kale and turnips. I have yet to see any lying dead next to my garden.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I think that post come out In the Nov Issue the Dec Issue is already out!
Im going to try and do alittle research on this!

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:52 am

The little research I did this evening on Brassica was enough for me not to use it!

NADIS has a Bulletin out.. It seems cattle are being poisoned by this stuff also...

If anyone is interested! Google "Brassica Toxicity" alot of reads on this stuff..

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:21 am

I've done a fair amount of research myself and it looks likes the brassicas could be harmful if only fed in HIGH concentrations (meaning that's all they have to eat). As we know, free ranging whitetails are browsers and prefer a "buffet" of food vs. one type. My research leads me to conclude that deer eating brassicas in modest quantities will have NO ill effect on the whitetail population. I've been using them for over 5 years and can't see any harmful effects. Again, this is only my opinion, but the data has been taken out of context and exploited by a company as a scare tactic to sell their product. Again, only my opinion. :)

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 am

Kevjack is correct.

According to our DDH nutrition experts, the occurrence of toxicity is not common. This normally occurs if animals "slug feed" on brassicas…are introduced to it quickly and brassicas make up nearly the entire part of the diet. As you know, corn being fed this way can also be a problem. Even clover and alfalfa can be a problem nutritional if it is fed in this manner from a rumen digestive standpoint. The key is to have a variety of forages for deer to eat and to slowly introduce brassicas to deer. When you plant food plots for deer, at least wild deer, it is introduced over time and even if there are limited other sources of food plot types, deer will use natural browse as part of their diet. In addition, most people plant smaller plots of brassicas ½ to 3 acres in size not larger fields like is commonly done for grazing cattle.

The problem may be more prevalent or likely in penned deer that have access to only one food source and are “turned in” to a field where they are introduced quickly. So, it could be a problem though rare and if you plant a variety of winter food plots the likelihood would be reduced greatly.

Best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 am

Sounds a lot like "Bacon Toxicity". A little here and their won't hurt you but eat nothing but bacon and bad things start to happen. :)

So, Dan, if you feel that add is false and/or misleading will you continue to accept their money for advertising space?

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:12 am

Would it be appropriate to say slug feeding accures in the winter when other brouses are scarce or unavalable? I did read that deer diet would have to be at least 75% to be harmful, i would like to know how long has this study been going on..

It seems like if it ain't one thing its another when it comes to trying to take care of your resource.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Breaking News