WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

DEERBILL

RE: WEST VIRGINIA HUNTERS

Postby DEERBILL » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Well getting packed, fix the trailer, gased the quad. The weather looks good. A little warm in the afternoon. Cool mornings. The Ruts kicking in. No better time of year... I did the math the other day This will be my 10th. 5 WV bucks so far. Hoping for #6 this year.
Game Day - almost here!!!!

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:21 am

What general area (or county) do you hunt in WV. Last couple of years, we've been dealing with CWD in my county (Hampshirte). Reason I ask, we seem to have a large number of New Jersey hunters find their way into our county. Plenty of room for you, so welcome. Best of luck to you.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:54 am

Randolph/Pocahontas county, near Valley Head. Father-inlaw was born & raised in Valley Head. I've been fishing here since "93", Hunting since "00". My favorite spot ELK Mountain. I hunted my property (Huttonsville area) this past weekend. Beautiful weekend 65-70 degrees, sunny. Not very good for hunting but good for getting some work done around camp. Will be back for the opening of BUCK season.
I drive through Hampshire county and have been following the CWD reports. I hope the DNR will figures away to eradicate this problem.
Good luck to all.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:05 am

Well all packed and ready to go. Buck season opens Monday. Doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate. Dosen't matter just getting in the woods is good enough. Its been a few years since my father-inlaw got a buck. Hope he gets one this year. Sure he's killed plenty of deer. But he's not getting around like he used to. Getting knees replaced in Jan. Sure like to see him get one just in case the knees aren't so good next year. Well good luck to all. BE SAFE.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Just got back from my trip to West Virginia. Got to love all the space to hunt there. Went to Elk Mountain on thanksgiving " The Adventure " I call it. 1/2 hour ride on my quad to get to the spot I hunt, a ten minute hike up to a old logging road. Think steep mountains & big woods. Just awesome scenery. Here's where P90X would of helped. Huffing and puffing I reach the old logging road, it runs for about 500 yards, I was about 100 yards from one end and heard a racked coming from the woods. I know this is no squirrel. I head towards the woods and see a doe. The logging road is kind of rolling, so I duck below the road. I know a buck is trailing her. Got to be, all the sounds, the situation, its just like what I read about. I here a loud grunt. I look up over the road and there is a buck, a nice buck. Biggest I've seen live anyhow. Still huffing and puffing and maybe a little buck fever, I take about a forty yard shot. I knew I missed. Cross hairs dancing. I follow up with a running shot as he darted down hill and connected. There's a fine line between luck & a little skill. Now here's my favorite part The Blood Trail. I find good blood, easy to follow.. for a while. I trailed him for about 50 yards then all of a sudden one big blood spot with lung tissue and the blood trail stops. I know its a dead deer. I can't figure where he went. Just disappeared. For a half an hour I look. I finally decide to back track and retrace the blood trail. I see some leaves turned over and find blood going in a different direction. He back tracked about 15 yards and went down another old logging road. I trailed for another 20 or so yards and there, in the cat tails, was the buck. A nice 7 pointer. Biggest deer to date for me. The logging road I found him on was about fifty yards from my quad. Easy drag. By 9 o'clock I was sitting on my quad looking at my buck. Just an awesome, awesome trip.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Well, here is a picture of "TD" buck. He dressed out at 182 lbs.

DEERBILL

Postby DEERBILL » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:56 am

Well, to all WV hunters, how did your season turn out? What kind deer have you seen? How were the deer numbers?
P.S. What do you think of the coaching change at WVU comming in 2012.

Previous

Return to West Virginia