Myth Busters-Bloodhound-Human Odor

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
bmorris

Myth Busters-Bloodhound-Human Odor

Postby bmorris » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am

While I missed the show enough people have called to tell me about it. What did I miss ? I knew the outcome before it happened. Carbon does little or nothing to stop human odor from escaping. When will enough proof be enough. Science says it won't work. Bloodhouds (over 30 Test now)say it didn't work. We had a Fox Investigative report done here with both Scentlock and Scent blocker and it didn't work. When interviewed they said they must have done something wrong. That seems to be the standard answer now or they make good cloths.

There is a system that is now being developed that can reduce enough odor to confuse and even fool a bloodhounds nose. There are people hunting in it to field test it this fall. There is an open invitation to one of the carbon companies to accept a challenge to a side by side test to see which system is the best, so far they have turned it down three different times. I would love to see Michael Wadell or some other promoter of carbon put on their product that they make money from and test aginst a bloodhound or a search and rescue dog. That would provide a real eye opener but they will never do that. Lets dress John Eberhart in the carbon he writes about and do a test with him and let him explain why his endorsed product failed to stop enough odor to fool an animal.

There has been so much research done on scent that it is easy to see why carbon doesn't work but it seems that up to now money and slick advertising seem to carry the day and make believers. I have been talking with Fox News again for them to do a follow up report and to try and get some of the sealed documents from the trial to show why it is impossible for carbon to work as claimed. A hunting magazine could do a study on human odor but they are afraid. Both Outdoor life and Field and Stream editors have turned down a chance to really help hunters but they don't want to lose the advertising dollars.

Scentlok now says that it is extremely effective in stopping human odor . Myth Busters bloodhound showed it didn't. Dr Amos Turk, Scentloks carbon expert testified in the trial that carbon would be ineffective in stopping human odor. Guess he was right. Where does the buck stop ?

If anyone has a link to the Myth Buster progrm I would like to see it

charlie

RE: Myth Busters-Bloodhound-Human Odor

Postby charlie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I still use my plain hunting pants like i did when i was younger with spray on scent killer. My buddy spent 150$ on scentlock crap and gets winded all the time. I'll stick to my old gear. if its not broke don't fix it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm

The Scent-Lok/Block companies have been proven to be outright LIARS and con-artists. How anyone could believe anything they say now is beyond me.

And IMO D&DH doesn't do itself any favors when the continue to have their false and misleading ads all over the place either. It makes one question evrything that's printed in the magazine.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 am

You can't fool a deer's nose. I found that out years ago. One just has to learn to work around that as best one can.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:54 am

WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 am

I watched the Mythbuster's episode via the link and there was nothing involving carbon clothing. Did I miss something?

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Since when did pepper become carbon.. >??

anyways believe what you want.. iv known people that smoked ciggaretts while archery hunting and killed deer.. also people that dont even spray there clothing.. but these people time to time get winded, all depends on wind direction..

me personally i use carbon clothing, wash all my clothes in scent killing wash, and shower in scent killer, spray my rubber boots before entering into the woods. since the 6 years i have been doing this i havnt had a SINGLE deer wind me..

DannyBouy

Postby DannyBouy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Tex, I think you'll find that you'll get the same results using the same techniques without carbon clothing. It's been proven to not work as claimed. You'd be better off storing your clothes in a plastic bin with spruce bows or apples or acorns, etc. than using carbon clothing. I hardly practice any scent control, I use scent blocker & cover scents (which I'm still not convinced about) and have great sucess. I consistantly have deer walk under my stand.

You all might want to listen to Woodsie, he still hunts in a gillie without any of that crap & pretty near gets walked on by deer!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Two statements that I find totally ridiculous regarding sent control are: "I have achieved total scent elimination." and "I use no scent control because it is totally unnecessary." Unfortunately these sort of things seem to be some of the most commonly expressed statements in every scent control topic. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:51 pm

ORIGINAL: tex3012

Since when did pepper become carbon.. >??

anyways believe what you want.. iv known people that smoked ciggaretts while archery hunting and killed deer.. also people that dont even spray there clothing.. but these people time to time get winded, all depends on wind direction..

me personally i use carbon clothing, wash all my clothes in scent killing wash, and shower in scent killer, spray my rubber boots before entering into the woods. since the 6 years i have been doing this i havnt had a SINGLE deer wind me..

Neither have I, and I DON'T use carbon clothing. I DO have a scent control regiment.

Carbon clothing, as it's been promoted for the past 2 decades, is a scam. That's not even debatable any more. It cannot be rejuvinated in a dryer either, which I consider to be even a bigger sin than the "Eliminates 100% of your scent, 100% of the time" lie. So basically all it is, is an expensive "magic feather".
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Breaking News