Blankets?

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
lswoody

RE: Blankets?

Postby lswoody » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 pm

I've used both a blankett and sleeping bag. I do feel a little constricted with the sleeping bag but I can stay out there alot longer with one.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 am

A friend of mine had his wife make a camo sleeve to go over the outside of the sleeping bag he uses for hunting. She also made a liner to go in the bottom of the bag so he could wear his regular hunting boots inside the bag. It works well.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

DannyBouy

Postby DannyBouy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm

A sleeping bag is a good idea. I think I will dig out one of my old ones and try it. It could be easily attached to a napsack for walking, etc.

Cold weather hunting is something I have a little experience with! I suit up in layers. Lots of warm clothes for early morning late afternoon hunts. I leave lots of room in my napsack to put the extra layers as the day warms up only to put them back on as the day turns into evening.

I have used Hotpaws and oher similar products and have some sucess to varying degrees. I have considered using a portable heater, I hunt out of a tree house (a blind in the sky) so it may work.

hanks for the idea.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I was sitting in my primos ground blind tonight in Wi (15 degrees)Thinking of a heater myself. I thought of the sleeping bag, but I'm bowhunting, sitting on a lawn chair and I'm sure my legs would get in the way if they were in a sleeping bag. I wonder if the propane heaters would be too loud? I do have a buddy who uses a propane heater in his sky box of a stand. He's gotten deer so it must not scare them at gun range. Anyone use a heater for a bowhunting stand?

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm

If anyone has read Charlie Alsheimer's books, they would know that he uses a sleeping bag on stand, but turns it inside out to make it easier to get in and out of.

MoHunter

Postby MoHunter » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:32 am

About 20 years ago, I was hunting late season (December back then) and there was about a foot of snow on. It was one of those days when the weather people kept saying "unless you MUST go outside, then DON'T". Well, it WAS Saturday in Bow Season, so I MUST go! LOL. The wind chill was in the negative 20's and it WAS dangerously cold. I was ALSO hunting alone (in my 20's not real smart then, not much better now) and about a mile and a 1/4 from the truck. I was the only guy hunting Schell Osage CA that day in WCentral MO. I started thinking about keeping warm that night before and devised a plan. No one I knew had ever tried it, and I thought I was probably the only one to do it still on occasion. I am glad to hear there are others! I carried a sleeping bag in with me, hunting out of a portable homemade stand with a VERY small platform. I DID have one idea that I haven't seen presented here that I wanted to share with whoever. I bought a pair of Camo suspenders at Walmart and they have BIG alligator teeth clamps on them. I extended them as far out as they would go, and clamped them on the top of the sleeping bag opening. I had snow on my boots and water from walking in, but I just went ahead and climbed into the bag and sat down after getting EVERYTHING ELSE set up in top of the tree. I pulled it up until my boots were in the bottom of the bag and spread out my legs so that each foot was in opposite corners of the bag. Then I pulled it up to my armpit/chest area and stuck my arms and all down inside. In spite of the extreme weather conditions, I have NEVER been any warmer on the stand. Of course I had my head covered up good and my down coat on, but I'm telling you, THIS WORKS! I have done it several times since then.

Here's the cool part! The suspenders play an important role. If you extend them all the way out, they reach below your waist a little bit. When I saw deer (yes I killed one that weekend, and have killed about 3 or 4 out of a stand in a sleeping bag since then!) I just stood up as usual and allowed the bag to "drop" slowly down my torso until the suspenders caught it, freeing my entire upper body, but not allowing the bag to get around my feet. This is NOT the safest I have ever been in the stand, and you BETTER be careful or it could be your reason for a fall, but if you do it right, and don't do foolish things while in the bag, you CAN stay warm on the WORST days and be fairly safe doing it.

Glad to see others have done this as well. Although they make the "heater body suit" which is basically a sleeping bag idea but much more expensive, you can do this with what you already own usually and a $8 pair of suspenders. I used a bag that had a nylon outer shell the first time, I have since bought a camo sleeping bag with a cloth outer shell.

Hope this idea helps someone.
Bowhunter: The ORIGINAL "Tree Hugger"

slinky3538

Postby slinky3538 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:51 am

Ok I am new to hunting, I have grown up with my dad and brother hunting, married a hunter, then (divorced) and now have a bf that is teaching me to hunt. I need all the help I can get! Making all the stupid mistakes right off the bat but learning from them each time. I like the idea of the blanket. My boyfriend thinks I am silly because I bring a blanket to the blind. I am glad to see that "real men do it to" I haven't killed anything yet but have had some close chances were I should have. Like I said, working through mistakes. Just a week ago I called up a six point and just knew he was mine, knew I could make the shot,, didn't line up my sights,,, it will never happen again. Still new to this but love the adrenialen rush!! Can't wait till I make that first kill! Any advise is soooo appreciated! Thanks.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:40 am

Im glad to see this one come up. Ive taken my little buddy heater with me several times in the winter in both tree and ground stands. As of yet I have not had any issues with the deer spooking from the hiss that they produce or the odors. Of course "most" of my shots are well out past 100 yds so that makes either of the above a none issue in my opinion.
The sleeping bag idea is one I have pondered in the past but havent acted on it due to the confinment and the noise, go figure, get a cloth shell and you get minimum noise. DUHH, If I was blonde at least Id have an excuse for that one.
Slinky, It doesnt take a real man to admit its flippen cold, Let your bf think your silly if he wants, but youve got the blankie[:D] and Ill bet that its toasty in there as well while hes quetly sitting over there wishing he had one too. He just wont admit it. So when he decides to "share your blanket just stick your tongue out at him.

Waiting till next year to hunt aint no deer over here.

S

kellory

Re: Blankets?

Postby kellory » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:58 pm

I use a buddy heater in an ameristep doghouse blind. I have not had a problem with deer spooking from the noise.(it is a slight hiss) I also have a heatcat (or something like that) from coleman. It is silent. puts out 1000btu, where as the buddy heater puts out 4-9000btu. How warm do you want to be? I had a small doe stick her head in the blind window once! It didn't bother her. She stared at me trying to figure out what I was, then took flight. So yea, I use them.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Re: Blankets?

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 am

hunterwild wrote:How does your body feel after sitting for so long? I know I get sore after about 20 minutes sitting on the ground. You might want to consider adding a cushion to your hunting gear. They sell cushions specific to hunters in your situation and they are usually camoed.

This last hunt, I did not use my blind or climber at all, and most of it was on ground level. I have a turkey seat with uneven legs, that sits well at the base of a tree, or in the thick of a deadfall, or the side of a ridge. It does well enough, and has a strap for easy light transport.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking