Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
EatDeer

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 pm

ORIGINAL: PETA

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

If the hunt comes down to 950 yard shots, I'll hang up my gear for good.  

Sweet!  One down, a few hundred thousand to go.
   Try 10 million + to go you nut case!
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:09 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Hunting with dogs is the same deal, legal or not.  I could see hunting dog's for ferrel hog's, or yotes, but a deer..common give me a break here. The dog is doing all the work ,its dog's running and killing deer,

You use dogs to "hunt" hogs and "yotes"? (they have a name, please call the COyotes)  Why do you need dogs?  Can you not murder them yourself?  Why do you need to scare the crap out of them before you slaughter them?  Isn't a bloody bullet bad enough?
I'll call coyotes "yotes", if I want , just like I'll call you a "nutcase". I can stalk yote's with my .22 long rifle ,and kill them at 10 yards everyday if I want too. Tell the mothers that have thier children stalked in ther own back yards, by yotes, about yotes being scared, you spineless piece of trash. 

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:25 pm

EatThis...

Everyone of these organizations and companies have added their names to support this site and the statements, INCLUDING the very organization that defined (created the term) "fairchase". But somehow EatDeer can't get behind the concept...

LEGAL VERSUS ETHICAL
Hunting is an intensely personal experience fraught with personal choices. Consider the contrast between what is legal and what is ethical. It is difficult to conceive of a situation in hunting where the commission of an illegal act could be considered ethical. But, the inverse is not only possible, but also common. In short, legality describes the outside boundaries within which ethical choices are made.

For example, some hunters take shots at deer in excess of 300 yards. They have rifles and ammunition capable of accuracy at such ranges. They practice at those ranges and are capable and confident of almost certain clean kills. Other hunters would never think of taking a shot at this distance. It's legal. There is nothing in the game regulations about maximum allowable distances yet many will not take that shot. Why? Some do not have experience with this type of shooting. Others feel the risk is too high for wounding and therefore the practice is unethical. Others might consider that shooting at such ranges, even with a high probability of success, is simply too great an advantage over the prey and would choose to stalk in closer.

The point is, there are many things in the hunting and habitat management world that are legal, yet can be considered by some to be unethical. Again, it is left for each individual to set his or her own ethical standards. Hopefully, all of our collective decisions will shine positively on hunting, management and its traditions.

DIVIDED WE FALL
Hunting is a personal experience filled with personal choices taking place in many areas with varying traditions and rules. The concept of "fair chase" is a noble one and something that is meant to be a unifying, governing force. The concept was not created as a test to divide ethical hunters.

One of the reasons why our wildlife and habitat conservation system works is because individual states regulate what goes on within that state. Can you imagine the train wreck that would occur if the same rules applied for all states regardless of traditions, the diverse species of game, and various habitats found in different regions? Deer hunting with a crossbows is legal in Ohio, but not in some other states. Baiting deer is legal in some states, yet frowned upon by hunters in other states. You can run bear and cougar with hounds in some western states, but only spot and stalk hunt in others. Steel shot, lead shot, plugged shotguns, expandable broadheads, inline muzzleloaders - the list goes on and on. The bottom line - we are too small of a group not to support each other. If you hunt, you belong to a fraternity. If a hunting method is legal in another state, but not in your state, crying foul won't help the bigger picture. If a way of hunting is under attack in another state, your way is under attack, even if you do not agree with or practice this method.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:27 pm

I think it's time for the mod. to lock this thread.

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Why? I havent been reading it post for post... is it getting nasty up there?

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

ORIGINAL: Hunt4life

^^^^^^

13 straight posts from someone calling themselves PETA and replies like this:

"Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it! FREAK!" EatDeer

"Tell the mothers that have thier children stalked in ther own back yards, by yotes, about yotes being scared, you spineless piece of trash.  EatDeer

PETA

Postby PETA » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 pm

[font="times new roman"]Mr. EatDeer,[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]I say Mr. to add respect because I admire the passion that you have about your beliefs.  This is my first time here and will probably be my last.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am not as eloquent and knowledgeable as some of the other responders to this thread.  I merely chose to try and put their arguments in a different light; from a different perspective as devil's advocate.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The simple truth is that hunting is under attack.  We are under attack.  By some who are outspoken like my acronym and some that pork barrel it behind their reputation (like ASPCA.)  They will use any and all tactics to their avail.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Divide and conquer; the easiest and least expensive tactic in any rivalry.  Hunt4life just posted something that referenced this.  I don't know you, your background, your political beliefs; so I'd like to give a few examples hoping one reaches you in no particular order:[/font]

[font="times new roman"]Unions hate scabs, employers love them[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Democrats love seeing Newt Gingrich and Pat Robertson teaming up with Nancy Pelosi and Al Sharpton about the dangers of global warming[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Repulicans love that Joseph Lieberman is supporting the war and reference it when ever possible[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Giants and the Skins drooled seeing Terrell Owens and Donovan Mcnab in their little squabble [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The insurgents relish all the anti-war media[/font][/ul]
[font="times new roman"]In a few of the above references, I believe people are merely following their conscience, and they should.  You should follow your conscience too, but don't close yourself off to fellow hunters who may have a different point of view.  If you feel that strongly about your belief, you have to follow your conscience.  But I hope you also realize you are putting what you love at risk. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am going to make some stereotypical assumptions about you based on all the hunters I have known.  I assume that you are a good man who loves the outdoors.  I assume you are a good father and are trying to instill your love of hunting into your children.  I assume you are teaching your children firearm respect, safety, and fun.  I assume you want our lifestyle to be available to their grand children.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]That is what we want too!!  We want them to know the respect for the kill, the joy of providing for your family with your own hands, and for them to find a love, a sanctuary, and a release in it like we do.  We don't want a bunch of elected or non-elected people outlawing our passion.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I understand all of your points; I know we are vulnerable not only to politicians but also to the voters.  Perception of our community is huge and you are correct; we must police ourselves.  Littering, shells left on the ground, fishing line scarring the shoreline, alcohol, private property trespassing without permission; I myself called fish and game a couple of months ago to report 3 idiot poachers who were lost and stopped to ask me for directions to a nearby lake that is highly regulated.  They actually admitted they were going there to poach the bass![/font]
[font="times new roman"]I want to close with another example.  I'm sure you are familiar with the Jim Zumbo fiasco:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]In the posting, Zumbo said "assault rifles" (or "terrorist" rifles as he went on to refer to them) had "no place" among "our hunting community." Adding that in his "humble opinion these things have no place in hunting" because "We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern."[/font][/i]
[font="times new roman"] [/font][/i]
[font="times new roman"]Zumbo went on to say "game departments should ban them from the praries (sic) and woods."[/font][/i]
[font="times new roman"]Within 24 hours his comments were posted on Brady campaign websites.  Here is one such blog posted 3 weeks later:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]http://www.bradycampaign.org/blog/2007/03/06/terrorist-rifles/[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The anti's prefer to use propaganda from within us because it validates them.  They will use it on the ballots to the "well, I love my pets, it feels good, and it doesn't affect me" crowd.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I sincerely wish all the best for you EatDeer, and hope you fill your freezer this fall.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Heath[/font]
Every step gets us closer

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:08 pm

EatThis...

Everyone of these organizations and companies have added their names to support this site and the statements, INCLUDING the very organization that defined (created the term) "fairchase". But somehow EatDeer can't get behind the concept...

LEGAL VERSUS ETHICAL
Hunting is an intensely personal experience fraught with personal choices. Consider the contrast between what is legal and what is ethical. It is difficult to conceive of a situation in hunting where the commission of an illegal act could be considered ethical. But, the inverse is not only possible, but also common. In short, legality describes the outside boundaries within which ethical choices are made.

For example, some hunters take shots at deer in excess of 300 yards. They have rifles and ammunition capable of accuracy at such ranges. They practice at those ranges and are capable and confident of almost certain clean kills. Other hunters would never think of taking a shot at this distance. It's legal. There is nothing in the game regulations about maximum allowable distances yet many will not take that shot. Why? Some do not have experience with this type of shooting. Others feel the risk is too high for wounding and therefore the practice is unethical. Others might consider that shooting at such ranges, even with a high probability of success, is simply too great an advantage over the prey and would choose to stalk in closer.

The point is, there are many things in the hunting and habitat management world that are legal, yet can be considered by some to be unethical. Again, it is left for each individual to set his or her own ethical standards. Hopefully, all of our collective decisions will shine positively on hunting, management and its traditions.

DIVIDED WE FALL
Hunting is a personal experience filled with personal choices taking place in many areas with varying traditions and rules. The concept of "fair chase" is a noble one and something that is meant to be a unifying, governing force. The concept was not created as a test to divide ethical hunters.

One of the reasons why our wildlife and habitat conservation system works is because individual states regulate what goes on within that state. Can you imagine the train wreck that would occur if the same rules applied for all states regardless of traditions, the diverse species of game, and various habitats found in different regions? Deer hunting with a crossbows is legal in Ohio, but not in some other states. Baiting deer is legal in some states, yet frowned upon by hunters in other states. You can run bear and cougar with hounds in some western states, but only spot and stalk hunt in others. Steel shot, lead shot, plugged shotguns, expandable broadheads, inline muzzleloaders - the list goes on and on. The bottom line - we are too small of a group not to support each other. If you hunt, you belong to a fraternity. If a hunting method is legal in another state, but not in your state, crying foul won't help the bigger picture. If a way of hunting is under attack in another state, your way is under attack, even if you do not agree with or practice this method.

More propaganda..... I expect no less from a exstremist. As far as I know D&D hunting dosn't condone dogging deer ,or take a stand on dogging deer not being ethical. So I guess your meaning less post is pointless as far as it pertains to this site. I have a good idea why the mag doesn't condone dogging deer though. My personal beliefs in ethics are my own opinion and do not consern state by state laws what so ever.    Just because one state allows unethical hunting methods by law (according to my personal ethical beliefs, and even many states of hunters same beliefs), doesn't make unethical huntng methods any better in the public eye.  Just because a list of companies belive in ethical hunting and respect state hunting laws. It does not mean I will be brain washed by a exstremist wack job, into backing a unethical hunting method to unite hunters( some of which are unethical,and I dispise) against the anti's. The club that created fair chase doesn't allowed deer dogged kills to be recorded in thier record books, they have ethics,and you really do not deserve to speak for them in any way or form in the first place. Methods of hunting laws for deer that are good enough for my state are good enough for your state as far as I am conserned. Most of the leigns (10 million plus) of hunters nation wide feel the same way as I do when it comes to ethics. Thats why they don't come runing to your war call, if you haven't noticed? WE WILL NEVER CONDONE DEER DOGGING OR 1000 YARD SHOTS! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!   

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

^^^^^^

13 straight posts from someone calling themselves PETA and replies like this:

"Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it! FREAK!" EatDeer

"Tell the mothers that have thier children stalked in ther own back yards, by yotes, about yotes being scared, you spineless piece of trash.  EatDeer
   This is what happens when extremists take over the forum. I'm telling it like it is, if you don't like it don't read it.   Just don't patronize me because I'm not a tool, that doesn't read the posts I rebutt,and am not a political terroist. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

[font="times new roman"]Mr. EatDeer,[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I say Mr. to add respect because I admire the passion that you have about your beliefs.  This is my first time here and will probably be my last.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am not as eloquent and knowledgeable as some of the other responders to this thread.  I merely chose to try and put their arguments in a different light; from a different perspective as devil's advocate.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The simple truth is that hunting is under attack.  We are under attack.  By some who are outspoken like my acronym and some that pork barrel it behind their reputation (like ASPCA.)  They will use any and all tactics to their avail.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Divide and conquer; the easiest and least expensive tactic in any rivalry.  Hunt4life just posted something that referenced this.  I don't know you, your background, your political beliefs; so I'd like to give a few examples hoping one reaches you in no particular order:[/font]

[font="times new roman"]Unions hate scabs, employers love them[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Democrats love seeing Newt Gingrich and Pat Robertson teaming up with Nancy Pelosi and Al Sharpton about the dangers of global warming[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Repulicans love that Joseph Lieberman is supporting the war and reference it when ever possible[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The Giants and the Skins drooled seeing Terrell Owens and Donovan Mcnab in their little squabble [/font]
[font="times new roman"]The insurgents relish all the anti-war media[/font]
[ul][/ul]
[font="times new roman"]In a few of the above references, I believe people are merely following their conscience, and they should.  You should follow your conscience too, but don't close yourself off to fellow hunters who may have a different point of view.  If you feel that strongly about your belief, you have to follow your conscience.  But I hope you also realize you are putting what you love at risk. [/font]
[font="times new roman"]I am going to make some stereotypical assumptions about you based on all the hunters I have known.  I assume that you are a good man who loves the outdoors.  I assume you are a good father and are trying to instill your love of hunting into your children.  I assume you are teaching your children firearm respect, safety, and fun.  I assume you want our lifestyle to be available to their grand children.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]That is what we want too!!  We want them to know the respect for the kill, the joy of providing for your family with your own hands, and for them to find a love, a sanctuary, and a release in it like we do.  We don't want a bunch of elected or non-elected people outlawing our passion.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I understand all of your points; I know we are vulnerable not only to politicians but also to the voters.  Perception of our community is huge and you are correct; we must police ourselves.  Littering, shells left on the ground, fishing line scarring the shoreline, alcohol, private property trespassing without permission; I myself called fish and game a couple of months ago to report 3 idiot poachers who were lost and stopped to ask me for directions to a nearby lake that is highly regulated.  They actually admitted they were going there to poach the bass![/font]
[font="times new roman"]I want to close with another example.  I'm sure you are familiar with the Jim Zumbo fiasco:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]In the posting, Zumbo said "assault rifles" (or "terrorist" rifles as he went on to refer to them) had "no place" among "our hunting community." Adding that in his "humble opinion these things have no place in hunting" because "We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern."[/font][/i]
[font="times new roman"]Zumbo went on to say "game departments should ban them from the praries (sic) and woods."[/font][/i]
[font="times new roman"]Within 24 hours his comments were posted on Brady campaign websites.  Here is one such blog posted 3 weeks later:[/font]
[font="times new roman"]http://www.bradycampaign.org/blog/2007/03/06/terrorist-rifles/[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The anti's prefer to use propaganda from within us because it validates them.  They will use it on the ballots to the "well, I love my pets, it feels good, and it doesn't affect me" crowd.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]I sincerely wish all the best for you EatDeer, and hope you fill your freezer this fall.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Heath[/font]
Don't lecture me on politcal awareness you exstremist liar. I hope this is your last post , because I won't be seeing you spew your lies from your mouth anymore. I dont need advice from a coward that makes up lies about who he is, dishonesty is worse than bad ethics. The only one attacking this sport are the morons that make hunting look bad by poaching, breaking laws,and practiceing unethical hunting methods in the lime light of the country, and using a national forum as a means to undermine this great sport knowingly or not. It's a shame this discussion is even being debated on a national forum in the first place.   

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions