Are young half racked bucks common?

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
4khorn

Are young half racked bucks common?

Postby 4khorn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:44 am

I was out hanging a stand a couple weeks ago and saw a year and a half old buck with half a rack. I have never seen a half rack buck this early in the year. My thoughts were that he may have been born late in the spring and thus is a little behind the other deer born that season. Do you think this is a one year thing?

Bluegrass Archer

RE: Are young half racked bucks common?

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:20 am

Thats a good question. I've only seen one that i can remember and he was a 1.5year old too.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm

He could have dammaged the one side while in velvet, causing it to fall off.  Also if he has a dammaged pedicle, that side will not grow right, if at all.  Lastly, bucks start sparring when their antlers harden.  Young bucks, who don't quite know their place yet may get a little more aggressive with each other, so he may have already knocked it off fighting.

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:41 am

He probably hurt it while in velvet so the antler became black and may have fallen off while he was shedding the velvet. he probably isn't a "uni" buck because they are really rare.

extrmhntr

Postby extrmhntr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Another thing is the genetic pace of the buck. I have one buck that keeps throwing off half-racks but they start as spikes. Next year they have a half-rack 4 but the next year that buck either puts out a big 6 or a big 8. The 6's are usually outside the ears and the 8's are nice young 125 class bucks. but i agree, if its something that you haven't seen in the area often i would suggest break-offs or injury to the horn or the deer during initial antler growth.

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm

These two bucks had both antlers a week ago. Got there butt kicked.

extrmhntr

Postby extrmhntr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 pm

By the brute thats in your avatar pic??

Return to Deer Browse