Clean Kill ????

Describe the most puzzling blood trail you've ever been on.
dieseldoctor74

Clean Kill ????

Postby dieseldoctor74 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:18 am

Had a nice late day shot on a good sized 6pt lastnight.

I'm shooting a 70# Martin Bengal with carbonmax 2 arrows, muzzy 4 blades and luminoks.

When I let it fly, I heard that unmistakeable crack when it hit him and watched the luminok go dark and reappear on the other side. I hit him a little farther aft than I would have liked, but I thought it was still a decent shot right in front of the right hind quarter. He was facing slightly away from me, so I figured the angle of the arrow would have definitely hit vitals. I timed myself out 40 minutes before I even wiggled to get out of my stand. When I got to my arrow, I found it good and slimy, but not bloody. NO blood trail !!

I started sweeping for some blood and only made it about 15 yards before my flashlight started browning out on me. I packed out and came back in about an hour and a half with another set of eyes. We scoured our hunting property until 3am this morning with absolutely no sign of blood. After a while in the blackness of the forest with flashlights, (and fatigue), we were just walking ourselves in circles. Gave up and hit the rack at 4am, its now 10am and I'm on the internet looking for answers. I found this forum and read that this has happened before, but I sure don't like it. Juicy arrow, no blood, no deer, no idea! I am keenly aware of what missing looks like, been there too, but I did NOT miss this buck.

I'm heading back out to start a daylight search in a few minutes, but if anyone has enough anatomy knowledge out there to explain how this happens, I sure would appreciate it.
Semper Fi

dieseldoctor74

RE: Clean Kill ????

Postby dieseldoctor74 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Second Report,

The light of day revealed the buck had fallen about 80 yards from my stand. Right up until he fell, there was no sign of any blood anywhere. The exit wound looked plugged up with tissue, but the shot was right where I called it. I suppose he was still alive when I got out of my tree and I bumped him another 40 yards or so from his first resting spot. Unfortunately, one of the downfalls of early season hunting here in Maryland, 80 degrees or so by 10AM had him spoiled by the time we found him. What a disappointing day.

Still can't explain no blood untill he crashed, but I know I'll be woodshedding this week before I go back out. The shot was more gut than heart/lung. This experience was a bowhunting first for me, and it plain o'l sucked, but I know it sure wasn't the buck's fault.
Semper Fi

EatDeer

RE: Clean Kill ????

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Sometimes a chunk of fat or something plugs the exit hole, it happens. I've even heard of deer falling in mud and plugging the wounds accidently. If it's cold they clot quicker as well...

I don't like to have more then one person tracking, usually they just walk over the blood trail and foul the trail. I stand my help at the last blood drop, and tell them not to move until I find more blood.  I would have gave up as well, if i didnt find much blood, unless I was sure of the shot placement.

If you would have returned at first light  and started circleing every 15 yards the direction the buck went you may have found him earlier. Hard to say this, but we learn from our mistakes, and that makes us better hunters.

Better luck next time!  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to Blood Trailing