What kind of bow for an older hunter new to archery

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Indianadeerhunter

What kind of bow for an older hunter new to archery

Postby Indianadeerhunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Want to take up archery, but not sure what bow to look at.  I am about 50 years old with average to below average arm strength.  I want to buy a new bow that will be forgiving to a new archery hunter.  I want to have a few options when I go to an archery shop and not be influenced by what the last person I talked to hunts with.  Let the suggestions begin ....  

DEERBOSS

RE: What kind of bow for an older hunter new to archery

Postby DEERBOSS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:43 pm

I SHOOT A BOWTECH AND LOVE IT. BUT IN THE END IT IS UP TO WHAT FEELS THE BEST IN YOUR HAND. MY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION IS TO GO TO A LOCAL ARCHERY SHOP PREFERABLY A SMALLER ONE. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH BIGGER ONES LIKE YOU FIND IN A GANDER MOUNTAIN OR A CABELAS, BUT I THINK YOU WILL GET A MORE PERSONAL TOUCH IF YOU GO TO A SMALLER SHOP. WHEN YOU GO TO A SHOP SHOOT A LOT OF DIFFERENT BOWS SEE WHAT FEELS BEST, DONT WORRY ABOUT WHERE IT SHOOTS MORE OF HOW IT FEELS IN YOUR HAND. YOU CAN ALWAYS ADJUST THE BOW TO SHOOT WHERE YOU WANT.

IN THE END WHEN YOU TAKE A DEER WITH YOUR BOW YOU WILL BE HOOKED AND WONT WANT TO USE THE GUN AGAIN!

BEST OF LUCK LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:32 pm

I would buy a used recurve in the 30 pound range, and then use it to learn the basics of archery with it. You won't be overbowed, and your body will gain the muscle strength it needs to begin the process of muscle memory for your shooting mechanics with (form).

If you learn to shoot a recurve bow first with your fingers, then if you w ant to change to a compound at a later date it will be no problem at all. Starting with a recurve will be A LOT cheaper too.

For this there are no shortcuts, or gadgets that replace this skill. It MUST be learned through repetition of the proper mechanics, literally THOUSANDS of times.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get some good books on archery, and if you can, take some lessons. It will save you a lot of wasted time if you have to "unlearn" bad form.

If you happen to live in northwest Indiana, I would be more than happy to get you started.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:10 pm

I use a PSE Whitetail compound bow I bought in Bass Pro Shops a few years ago. I actually think that model has been discontinued for a couple years. It has up to 65# Draw Weight and a nice 75% let-off and an adjustable 27-30 inch draw length. I personally would not go over a 65# draw weight though my massive guns could probably handle it [:D]. I am just very comfortable with the 65#. The let-off is really good and allows me to hold back my shot a little longer if I needed to. My buddy shoots a Mathews and he Loves it. It looks nice and feels good too. If I were to replace my PSE, I might think about a new PSE, but I would certainly compare it with a Mathews Bow before making up my mind.

Now I am not sure how steady you are but practice, practice, practice is the name of the game no matter what bow you get.

Here is another thought and is probably sure to get peppered with retorts but may I suggest a Crossbow (someone is probably cringing right now). I know older guys (and gals)... and by the way I am not saying 50 is old... who love the option of going with a crossbow if it is legal in your state. Some folks have rotator cuff issues and other arm or back problems that make using a compound a little more difficult and that is where a Crossbow is a great substitute. I killed two deer this year. One with my PSE and one with a friends 10-Point Crossbow. Both were legal and ethical shots. No regrets or apologies here! It's all good eats! there are a lot of Crossbows out on the market. I have used the 10-Point and also an Excalibur. My personal choice IF I was going to buy a crossbow would be to go with an Excalibur Crossbow. Just my opinion because there are lots out there to choose from.

dgirt

Postby dgirt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 am

Most all manufactures have bows that are lower cost items, but shoot as well as some of they're top of the line products. Martin have a couple at the 350 -450 price range. My shop carries several lines of bows and all in that price range shoot good and are easy to shoot.
Doug Girt
Girts Archery
Anderson,Indiana

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 pm

I would check out a few archery shops and see if you can't shoot a few different models to see which one you like best. Brands of bows are a bit like makes of automobiles...each has its fans and detractors. Always check the strength of the bow's warranty before you buy. Even well made bows sometimes break. A good warranty is the difference between getting back in the woods quickly at little or no expense to you, or possibly starting over at square one again with bow shopping, setting it up, practicing (& more practicing), etc., before you can hunt again.

Make a list of things you can't live without (high let-off, quiet shooting, speed, etc.) and a list of things you can adjust to (sights, quiver, camo pattern, etc.). Don't forget to list things you don't want at all (too heavy/ too loud, creaks on drawing, too expensive,poor/ no warranty, etc.). The ones that fit your needs will stand out from the rest.

Get opinions from as many hunters as you can (like you're doing here...Duh on me) and again a few will begin to rise above the rest. How many times a season will you hunt with it? Is it worth the cost of a decent rifle?, because that's what a quality bow sells for sometimes. Don't forget to check used lists. Even though there won't be a warranty, sometimes folks will sell their bows after hunting season to get some Holiday $$. You may be able to get a great bow at a smoking deal...beware if you go that route though, some sell junk as a good product.

I have taken deer with a recurve, a longbow, 3 different models of compound, and a crossbow (due to a permanent physical injury) and there is nothing like bowhunting. The quiet, solidtude, and regular deer movement patterns make that time of year great. The challenge of hunting deer on an up-close basis and the necessity of making accurate shots to succeeed makes it my favorite way to hunt deer.

Good luck on whatever bow you choose. Practice shooting more than you need to so that hitting your target where you want becomes second nature. The last thing you want to do is make a bad shot. Keep practicing throughout the season to keep good muscle memory & tone. Bows are not like rifles, where once you're sighted in a time or two, you're good. Bowhunting is supposed to be more difficult. You'll have more woods to yourself as well and overall, it will make you a better deer hunter.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 pm

I JUST purchased a 2010 Z7 Mathews its GREAT. There was a 75yr old man when I was at the bow shop and he has no problem shooting a Z7 40-50Lbs. I also tried a hoyt maxis 31, it was the 2nd best I tried. I tried a hoyt turbo hawk - not bad, good price. I didn't like the Mathews Reezen, just my personal opinion. Mission by Mathews had some nice bows for the money, but in the end it was the Z7 for 1st choice and Maxis31 for 2nd choice. My Wife shoots a Hoyt Vixxen- she loves it. The Turbo Hawk and Vixxen seem similar. One is probably for men and the other is fitted for women. Make sure you try to shoot something before you buy. Have an idea of axle to axle length you want and other specs. that may be important to your personal needs. If a bow shop isn't willing to switch cams to fit your draw length and poundage than they won't give you the personal attention you may need later after the purchase. If you buy used "buyer beware", but use the D&DH forum for feed back before you buy. Good Luck.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 am

Regardless of what you eventually buy, learn ARCHERY first, preferably on a bow of LOW poundage, so that you can concentrate on FORM.

When you are learning (and for many even after that), if the FIRST thing you are aware of when you draw the bow is the pull weight, then you are OVERBOWED, and learning the proper form will be VERY difficult if you even properly learn it at all.

I go to a lot of 3-D shoots and I see overbowed archers all the time. A classic sign is when you see someone who has to draw by pointing their bow up in the air so they can pull the bowstring down to them. It looks like they are making a offering to the gods of archery. You should be able to sit on a chair with your feet off the floor and your legs out and be able to draw, AND HOLD, the full draw for at least 10 seconds without shaking or focusing on the hold.

The more you are overbowed, the more shooting problems you will have, and then you will be buying more and more gadgets and different arrows to "fix" what you will percieve as the BOW'S problem, when in reality it's not the bow, but the shooter.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

stanlh

Postby stanlh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Indianadeerhunter,
I am 56 and I just tried archery deer hunting for the first time this year.  Shot a nice buck.  I bought a bow some years ago, but it is pretty old technology compared to bows made in the last ten years.  So, I was faced with the same problem as you, which bow to buy.  My buddy shoots Mathews so I started there, but I looked at all the brands.  In my opinion Mathews and Bow Tech both shot great.  I was not able to try a Hoyt, but I think they are in the same class.  The choice of a bow totally about personal preference.  So listen to the advice of others, but decide for your self.  I chose an older Mathews Q2XL.  I shot it a lot. Good bow, but I enjoyed it so much I then bought a Mathews Reezen and ended up using that for deer hunting.  The bow is a 60 to 70 lb with 80% let off.  I wanted the 80% let off cause I knew it would be easier to hold at full draw.  I set the bow at 60lbs draw weight.  I see some on here telling you to get a recurve and learn how to shoot.  Baloney, use a compound, you can learn just as easily and then you will have something you can hunt with.  You don't need a 60-70lb bow, you will do just as well and maybe better with a 50-60lb bow, but there are not as common on the used market. 
One thing I learned is that archers are a fairly gregarious lot when it comes to their sport and love to talk about it and more than willing to help someone new to it.  So get out to the local bow shops and start talking to people.  You will get all the info. you need.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 pm

As most stated its best to go to a good Archery Shop and try as many different Bows as they will let You shoot,getting the one that feels the best and is within your budget is the way to go.Which ever Bow You decide on most will be bare bones and You'll have to decide what arrow rest you want,which sights your comfortable with,mounting a peep-sight,do You want to shoot with your fingers,or use a release (which I highly recomend).To me the best arrows and strongest are the carbon arrows,be sure to get arrows that are rated for the poundage you pull and You need to shoot feild tips that are the same weight as the mechanical or fixed broadheads You hunt with.

Another thing to consider is buying a Used Bow to see if Your going to stick with shooting a Compound Bow?I also like Ifishandhunt's recomendation of You maybe considering a Crossbow if You have issue with draw weight?I don't know the Laws in Indiana but here in Missouri if You have a issue with head,kneck or shoulder problems (surgery) or other misc health issues/problems You can get a Crossbow Permit.  

A Compound Bow can be very expensive,beside the Bow itself you will also need a quiver to put on your bow for carrying arrows,a stabilizer bar is recomended,any limb silencers or dampeners may be needed then Your going to need some type of release and lets not forget any Camo Clothing as You get into Hunting unless You have some already?  

Return to Archery and Bowhunting