Hunting Mature Hardwoods

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
pschuh32

Hunting Mature Hardwoods

Postby pschuh32 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

One of the properties I hunt is 80 acres that's a mature hardwoods ridge, both sides of the ridge are bedding areas and I see bucks crossing the hardwoods from bedding to bedding areas during the rut. The problem is with the ridge being mature hardwoods the travel is pretty sparatic, making it difficult to bowhunt. We plan on select cutting the property starting in December which leads to my question. I'm thinking about clear cutting/hinge cutting a 30 to 50 yard swat across the ridge to try to promote move movement in the new thicker cover over the open hardwoods. Do you think this will concentrate movement? I know the deer like to travel along thick cover and along edges of different cover. Any advice or other suggestions would be appreciation. Thanks.

USN_Sam1385

RE: Hunting Mature Hardwoods

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 pm

ORIGINAL: pschuh32

One of the properties I hunt is 80 acres that's a mature hardwoods ridge, both sides of the ridge are bedding areas and I see bucks crossing the hardwoods from bedding to bedding areas during the rut. The problem is with the ridge being mature hardwoods the travel is pretty sparatic, making it difficult to bowhunt. We plan on select cutting the property starting in December which leads to my question. I'm thinking about clear cutting/hinge cutting a 30 to 50 yard swat across the ridge to try to promote move movement in the new thicker cover over the open hardwoods. Do you think this will concentrate movement? I know the deer like to travel along thick cover and along edges of different cover. Any advice or other suggestions would be appreciation. Thanks.

Doing that might help to concentrate movement in the long run. However in the short term I would try to focus on pinch points that already naturally exist between the bedding areas. Look for saddles in the ridge, creek crossings, etc.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:26 pm

ORIGINAL: USN_Sam1385

Doing that might help to concentrate movement in the long run. However in the short term I would try to focus on pinch points that already naturally exist between the bedding areas. Look for saddles in the ridge, creek crossings, etc.

^Exactly. Study every trail, draw, or low spot going up to the ridge while paying attention to prevailing seasonal winds. A pattern will become more evident over time. Scout the area hard a month after deer season so they've had time to calm down and get back to regular movement patterns. Where I live, deer tend to travel from heavies green cover to heaviest green cover using the shortest route that leaves exposed as little as possible. Good luck hunting.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

pschuh32

Postby pschuh32 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm going to give the hinge cutting a try, I'm thinking long term more than short term. The places I mainly hunt now are the edges of thick cover on the sides of the ridge, they seem to follow the edges but then cut accross the open hardwoods randomly. I think more brushy edges will create what I want and more hunting set-ups. I'll try to keep the improvements posted and see what happens. Thanks

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 pm

string a few rows of barb wire down the ridge with an opening or two. Or if you select cut, move the tops to create a funnel.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Wood

Postby Wood » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:43 am

Well personally i wouldnt clear anything out but this time of year a decoy and some mature buck urine from your local deer farm. That would get those bucks in close
One in hand beats two in the busch

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements