What Ruins your Hunt?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Fulltime Soldier

RE: What Ruins your Hunt?

Postby Fulltime Soldier » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Nothing ruins my hunt more than when I'm walking to my little piece of heaven on any military post (Pretty much all of them have Great QDM programs) and i hear,"Psst,Psst. Hey!," from another hunter up in his treestand. It ruins my hunt because I feel so horrible about "ruining " their hunt. What can you really do it's open to military and civilians. [:(] And, raccoons ruin my hunt be deciding to come done a tree and I end up watching them not lookin for the steak with legs in the woods.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Been on stand since 1 o'clock this afternoon. So far its been warm weather, gunshots, and a neighbor running a chainsaw and tossing wood into the bed of his truck. Take your pick. Lol.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:56 pm

mosquitos and other hunters really gets me upset. However now having a thermacell, mosquitos are not a factor anymore. having other hunters though come trudging by you though while on public land is really irritating, especially when they can see you from a distance and come anyways. Never had problems with trespassers on my private land however, then the weather would be the next irritant. But no matter what, just being outdoors is what matters to me.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Other hunters is definitely my biggest problem, two days hunting in a row in two different locations i have run into other hunters. the first one I met was fine .. came up and saw i was hunting and simply asked how things were going and if anyone else was in the area, I told him i was with three other hunters spread over the next 1/2 mile or so. he said good luck and went back the other way  knowing there was plenty of room to hunt the other direction... but the yahoo today... comes up on me, I saw him first and got his attention ( he did not see me at first and nearly crapped his pants when he finally saw me)  he too asks me if anyone else is in the area, I told him i honestly didn't know  but showed him the area i was covering from my vantage point ( witch since i am using a shotgun is not that big of an area) well instead of back tracking a little bit and walking around the area i am in and possibly pushing some deer my way in the process( he continued right through  the area i had just told him i was covering... what happens.. he gets about 50 yards from me and 2 does and a decent sized 6 pointer see him as the are coming into my range and instantly turn tail and bolt the other way... here I am  and can't take a shot for 2 reasons... number one being  that this hunter is too close to wear i would be shooting, and number 2  being that buck is running way too fast through the thick stuff that i can't get any kind of a shot at all... i guess he figured that if he ruined my day it might give him a better chance... but hopefully karma will come back on this guy...
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 am

After this season, I can now say that the what ruins my hunt the most is this lousy economy, due to which I was not able to go to my firearm deer camp for the first time in 31 years. [:o]

Now THATS what I call "RUINED"!!!!! [:@]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deep 6

Postby Deep 6 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Ive walked half a mile to my stand for afternoon hunt to find an entire family of four running up and down
my stand playing.

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm

i havent been deer hunting yet but i have gone upland for pheasant quail and chukar a few times and its miserable when it rains....
muzzysquirrel

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm

I hunt on a private lease so dogs,atvs,others dont bother me. The bugs can be tamed with a thermacell. But down in South Florida is the heat!!!!!!! This past year our dnr started archery on July 31st!!!!! Avg temp in Aug is around 1 million with 2 million percent humidity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This new season is just wrong wrong wrong. They were trying to please a bunch of glades buggy guys trying to get in on the early rut of the deer in the extreme south. This year it took a good hour to stop sweating like rain. The rest of the time is just a slow steady sweat drip. Forget hiding your scent from anything. Next year I am going in uncle Ted style with a loincloth and camo paint for the rest!!!!!

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:46 pm

I know I'm late to chime in here on this subject but I have to say that dogs ruin my hunt more than anything!!!!!!!!!! I hunt on a private lease but dogs ran all over us this season!! Seven times over a 3 week span beginning gun season weekend!! One neighbor, who I was told didn't have dogs running loose, called me to see if I had shot his mother's dog because it had come up missing!!! If you care about your dogs then take care of them!!!! I realize that dogs can't read the POSTED signs and they have 'rights', but so do I!!! We have had trouble with dogs off and on for many years. A couple of years ago, there was a pack of 6-8 dogs running during spring turkey season!!!
(Maybe I should have written this in bold capital letters!) [:)] It does work on my indignation!

MoBowman

Postby MoBowman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 pm

When I have that feeling that something is coming up behind me. Then I look over my shoulder and see my wife coming. [:D]
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass it on
www.Missouriwhitetails.com

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting