shot taken from elevated blind

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
chizlr40

shot taken from elevated blind

Postby chizlr40 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:44 pm

i have been a rifleman for many years and have recently began deer hunting,thanks to my son, with a rifled bore remington 870 shotgun w4x9 scope i consider myself a decent shot as i can keep a 4" group around 50 yds with this gun. i finally got a shot at a buck during my recent hunting trip but it was from a elevated tower approx 12 feet.the shot was approx 70 yds.i aimed slightly high but appearently missed low. what type of compensation should i be making on this type of shot. i know i need to practice this angle type shot but due to time, well you know.thanks for any advice. new hunter and loving it

berudd

RE: shot taken from elevated blind

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:28 pm

You do not need to compensate at that height and distance. Hate to say it but I think you just missed.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 am

Yep!  That's my read on this too.  At that distance, the compensation due to elevation would be nil. 

chizlr40:  What I would also figure out is how much drop that slug has at 70 yards.  Look up the trajectory information from the mfg.

A handy measurement here is the Maximum Point Blank Range.  That is the maximum distance you can shoot, given a particular target diameter, without the need to compensate at all.  Two things enter into this:  one is the ballistics of the bullet and the other is the aiming point of the scope. 

Here's an example of a 4" target and a sample 12 GA slug at 1300 fps:

Now, if you were sighted in dead on at  50 instead of 2 inches high as computed  your slug would now be 2 inches low at 75 yards and 6 inches low at 100 yards-- much different.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

chizlr40

Postby chizlr40 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:06 am

thanks for the tips i think i just missed also.just wanted to see if i was missing something

Return to Guns and Ammo