Scrapes?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
loneranger

Scrapes?

Postby loneranger » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Each yr the bucks make some new scrapes on my property. I have made some mock scrapes too. Some from the previous yr. the bucks don't use. Some they do. Question:: Should I open up all the scrapes every fall, to encourage them to use them? Thanks for imput:

Woods Walker

RE: Scrapes?

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Why? All a scrape tells you is that there's bucks in the area. It's the does who determine what, when, and with whom happens rut wise. Scrapes are a piece of the puzzle along with rubs...both old and new....funnels and pinch points in regards to doe movement.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:51 pm

I would not open them all up, the less scrapes the better IMO, I know the deer are there and if they only have a couple scrapes I know where to set up when I am scrape hunting. Instead of having 30 scrapes in one area like a freaking chess game.

Hunt the scrapes in thick cover around Halloween.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Ditto what Swampy said!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 pm

The scrapes I have on my land always tend to be where the does travel and eat. Tend to be around the same spots every yr. I have shot two bucks already,,over the past few yrs pawing in them. The deer are just adding to them every yr. In similar area, just more of them. Along with ones I first made. Just wondering if in late Aug,,when I usually do this,,should I scratch them all up. To encourage them to use them again. Hard to tell which ones they will prefer. I open the old ones in the fall to encourage buck activity. Do it early enough to not spook them for hunting also.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 pm

I would open a new scrape if your wanting them to work their way closer to your ladder stand or blind for shooting purposes?I opened up a few new scrapes,even put up a camera over some natural scrapes the Deer had made themselfs....they ended up moving and making new ones so I left them alone and put my camera up where their new ones were...got several nice pictures of Doe's and Buck using the one they made themselfs!I checked the trail camera by one of the scrapes and it had several picture of Bucks,Does and even a Coyote checking it out!Thats pretty cool to shoot a Deer where they are making a scrape....sadly I have too many long hours of work (busy season) to get lucky enough to be able to hunt by a scrape and get a Deer!Then where our Lease is at in the Big Woods scrapes are hard to find there,most scrapes I've found are on the open field edges!

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Personally,,I think there is nothing wrong with opening up all the previous scrapes made last season in late summer. Those that lead twards your stands. That is what I am going to keep doing. Some they will ignore, but some they will take over. Difficult to know which ones,,so,, scratch open each one,I say. Can't hurt.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 pm

I would take more of a hands-off approach here... You already know there is natural scrape activity occurring, why not just wait and see which ones the deer use on their own, then set up close to those? 

That way you don't have to worry about leaving too much of your human scent around, and you take the guessing game out of which ones the deer are using.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I do this early enough,,late summer, so human scent is no problem by hunting season. I believe opening them,,getting the grass and leaves away, and providing good licking branches, encourages bucks to scrape, and deer to once again adopt these prime spots, on the paths to my stands. Just a little incentive each yr. It can't hurt. As I have talked about it I have answered my own question. I now think it is a good idea. Once I get them worked up in late summer, I don't go back to check them until next spring.

DanburyBowhunter

Re: Scrapes?

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:42 am

Am I reading this correctly? Does will vist scrapes on a regular basis? So in theory a mock scrape could be used to lure in does as well as bucks? I guess it makes sense. Afterall, who are the scrapes for?
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

Next

Return to Best Practices