Muzzleloader Help

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nromn

Muzzleloader Help

Postby nromn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:54 pm

I am looking to extend my deer hunting pleasure next year (don't tell my wife) and thinking that a muzzleloader would be a good option and a fun new experience. My gun experience is limited to 90% shotgun and I know next to nothing about muzzleloaders.

If anyone has any tips or bits of advice for me while I do some research and begin the process of buying one, I would really appreciate it.

As an aside, I found these forums this year and they are great. I really appreciate all the experts hanging out and dropping their knowledge on us less experienced. I am relatively young in my hunting career (I hope), but hopefully someday I can return the favor to other young hunters.

shaman

RE: Muzzleloader Help

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:00 pm

First off,  decide if you want to go traditional or modern inline.  Second  let us know where you are.  States each have different rules. For instance PA only allows flintlocks.  Read your state rules: what's legal in your state?

I hunt with a .54 cal Hawken and love kicking it up Old School.   My buddy has a modern Traditions inline.  My #2 son shoots a Mossberg 12 GA with a ML barrel.  #3 son is saving for a Brown Bess.  It's a wide world out there.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm

I bought this book and read it before making my choise ................

The Ultimate Guide to Blackpowder Hunting: How to Get in on One of the Fastest-Growing Outdoor Sports by Al Raychard

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... rchResults
Semper Fi !

nromn

Postby nromn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 am

Shaman, thanks for pointing that out, I meant to include that in my original post, but forgot. I am in MN and the only thing I could find on restrictions is that you need to use open or peep sights.

FastE,

Thanks, thats the other thing I was going to ask about, but forgot-If there is any recommendations for quality reading material. I will check that out.

Thanks again for your help guys!

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 am

Certainly all good suggestions thus far, and I'm sure more will be forthcoming.

Having tried numerous types of muzzleloaders, I have found that I personally prefer the break-open, in-line models, using the 209 shotgun primer. Of course, that is very much a personal decision.

You will need to determine the caliber that best suits you (.50 seems to be the most popular, but there are several others also on the market.) Then you need to decide what type of ignition system and propellant you want to use (traditional black powder, a substitute powder, pellets, etc.) This is something that you can play around with after you've purchased your gun. Next, of course, what type of projectile (bullet) will you want (again, lots of time at the range, trying a variety of propellants, different charges and projectile combinations, will help you make the choice that works best for you and your gun, and give you a lot more confidence in your ability to take a deer with one clean shot.

I bow hunt, rifle hunt, and of course, black powder hunt, and by far my favorite weapon is the muzzleloader. I think you have a lot of exciting times in front of you and wish you the best.

As I'm sure you realize, rarely do we get a second shot with a muzzleloader (although I did once manage to re-load and take down a deer that I had completely missed with the first shot......that just doesn't factor in very often. Therefore, I would recommend that you not get too hung up on how quickly you can get the gun reloaded, but instead, you might want to consider how easy it will be to take down and clean properly once you are finished your hunt. Also, some propellants are less messy than others, but again, that is often another personal preference.

After you've made your decision and spent some time with your new gun, why not drop a post in here and let us know what you got, and how it's working out for you.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

extrmhntr

Postby extrmhntr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 pm

And another concern, actually a huge concern, is price. If money is no object in this the possibilities are endless. What kinda range are you looking to find one in?

You can pick up many from pawn shops around here that are practically brand new for around 65 or 70 and then you can go at the other extreme and drop a grand on an Encore.

I have 250 in my gun scope combo and i feel after shooting it regularly i can shoot 200 yards if presented with the shot and i was grouping 3 and 4 inch shots with open sights at over 100 yards. I'm too shaky for open sight long distance shots too often.

nromn

Postby nromn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks again for all the feedback. As far as price, I guess I really don't know. I was expecting about $400-$500.

I probably won't buy until this winter at the earliest and won't start shooting until the spring. So I will stop in and let  you all know what I decide to go with.

I know its a hard question to answer simply because there are so many directions to go with such a vague question and there are so many things I will need to learn. But I do appreciate all the input.

berudd

Postby berudd » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 am

In that price range you will find that price will for the most part not limit your choices. I have an inline but it is not a break open design and I wish it was. The break open design and hand removeable breech plugs make cleaning much easier. From an accuracy stand point I'll go out on a limb and say that all of your options will be acceptable. Without a scope your range will be limited and I expect all will perform well.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:28 am

I've been looking at getting into this as well...One of the best ones I've found are the Thompson Center Omegas.  
QDM!

singleshot

Postby singleshot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:03 am

If you are going to get an in-line the traditions Yukon is a good starter gun. I paid about $200 for mine. All I had to add was powder and primer. Last year my son took a deer at 115yds. with it. It shoots just as good as muzzle loaders costing 2 to 3 times as much. What ever you choose get a veriety of powder,primer, and bullets to get the most from your rifle. Verying the powder charge by 10 grains will make a differance in accuracy. Happy hunting.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo