magnifying lens peep sight

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hunting GA

magnifying lens peep sight

Postby hunting GA » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Does anyone use or know anything about a magnifying lens peep sight.I have a problem with my focus for any shots over 30 yards but my eyesight is 20/30.I can see the pins fine but I cant focus on the small dots on the target, I even went to the .019 in. pins for more clearance between them. A friend told me that he had the same problem so he ordered one of these from the proshop.

Highlander Archery

RE: magnifying lens peep sight

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:32 pm

They are not magnifying lenses, they are clarifiers. These are like a polarized lens in sunglasses and let light enter at specific angles and assist the eye in sharpening the image. Do you shoot with one eye closed? or both eyes open?

If you shoot with one eye closed, try using an eyepatch of sorts so that you can keep your non aiming eye open, you can make one of these with a thin white piece of fabric and some string. Of course you can also try shooting with both eyes open, although it will take a bit of time to get used to.

Another possible fix, although MUCH more expensive is to purchase a sight which will accept a magnifying lens in the aperture. I recommend you check with a pro shop that deals in the target archery equipment to find which of these best suits your needs and budget.

hunting GA

Postby hunting GA » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:02 am

I have tryed the both eyes open shooting but it doesn't work for me, so I'll give the home made patch a try tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:46 pm

You are welcome, many times the light entering the aiming eye is so reduced that having the patch will help amplify the light and clear the image.

cacagolf

Re: magnifying lens peep sight

Postby cacagolf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 am

hunting GA wrote:Does anyone use or know anything about a magnifying lens peep sight.I have a problem with my focus for any shots over 30 yards but my eyesight is 20/30.I can see the pins fine but I cant focus on the small dots on the target, I even went to the .019 in. pins for more clearance between them. A friend told me that he had the same problem so he ordered one of these from the proshop.

hank you for sharing, good luck to you!

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:10 am

I had the same problem, I went with a 30mm red dot scope. Problem solved.
Jake

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 pm

There is also a type of sunglasses, made with hundreds of tiny holes, (don't know where to get them, sorry.) that cause the pupil to increase and admit more light and inprove the image. I read about them awhile back.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jkdelawrence

Postby jkdelawrence » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 am

I have the same problem. I have 80/20 or 20/80 which ever one it is in my right eye. I shoot right handed. How do i aim through the peep with my left eye? I know I need an eye patch to cover my right eye because it isn't strong enough to close by itself. However how do I aim with my left eye through the peep being the other side of my head. I can also hold both eyes open to aim without a problem however what technique is best?

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:08 am

You could try this arraignment. This is for a right handed shooter, left eye dominant. (mounted on a muzzle loader)
mussle loader for left eye dominant.jpg
mussle loader for left eye dominant.jpg (18.5 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Best Practices